Fan From Alabama - FIRE CALLAHAN!

Being in SoCal I hear alot about UCLA. Last year everyone wanted the head coach and staff fired. His offense sucked, his recruiting would never match up with SC. They were going to be losers forever. Coach was an idiot for changing the offense. This year they walk on water. UCLA went through the same changes we are going through. I doubt there is a UCLA fan out ther today wanting their coach fired. Winning and time cure all problems. Not enough time down to know if BC and staff are good or not.

Being in SoCal I hear alot about UCLA. Last year everyone wanted the head coach and staff fired. His offense sucked, his recruiting would never match up with SC. They were going to be losers forever. Coach was an idiot for changing the offense. This year they walk on water. UCLA went through the same changes we are going through. I doubt there is a UCLA fan out ther today wanting their coach fired. Winning and time cure all problems. Not enough time down to know if BC and staff are good or not.

Very good post skerfan. Last year was the same situation at Alabama, now fans love Shula and hope he stays for at least 5 years. It's amazing how winning games can cure all the negativitiy. Ironically, Shula at Bama and Dorrell at UCLA are both undefeated their 3rd season. Dorrell was 12-13 his first 2 seasons, Shula was 10-15.

Being in SoCal I hear alot about UCLA.  Last year everyone wanted the head coach and staff fired.  His offense sucked, his recruiting would never match up with SC.  They were going to be losers forever.  Coach was an idiot for changing the offense.  This year they walk on water.  UCLA went through the same changes we are going through.  I doubt there is a UCLA fan out ther today wanting their coach fired.  Winning and time cure all problems.  Not enough time down to know if BC and staff are good or not.

Very good post skerfan. Last year was the same situation at Alabama, now fans love Shula and hope he stays for at least 5 years. It's amazing how winning games can cure all the negativitiy. Ironically, Shula at Bama and Dorrell at UCLA are both undefeated their 3rd season. Dorrell was 12-13 his first 2 seasons, Shula was 10-15.

I tell you what, if NU is undefeated next year after facing Texas and USC I'll do a little dance just for you!

Being in SoCal I hear alot about UCLA.  Last year everyone wanted the head coach and staff fired.  His offense sucked, his recruiting would never match up with SC.  They were going to be losers forever.  Coach was an idiot for changing the offense.  This year they walk on water.  UCLA went through the same changes we are going through.  I doubt there is a UCLA fan out ther today wanting their coach fired.  Winning and time cure all problems.  Not enough time down to know if BC and staff are good or not.

I tell you what, if NU is undefeated next year after facing Texas and USC I'll do a little dance just for you!

Callahan better hope those are the ONLY two losses on the schedule next year and even then he better hope he wins them.

I'm neutral.  I couldn't give a rats ass if BC stays or is canned tomorrow.  I love NU football, but I blame the AD for where we are now.  If BC turns out, great.  If not, move on.

This is pretty much the way I feel. Most of my animosity is really for Pederson and how he created this whole mess. I give BC a hard time because I didn't believe he was the right choice and I don't think he's going to work out. I could be wrong, though.

Let's get BO back. That'll make everybody happy. Except the people who like a nice calm well reserved sideline with no gestures or emotional type body language :bang

Okay - confession. I'm 100% Alabama fan. Nebraska is my second favorite team. I grew up a Bama fan, but fell in love with Nebraska in the 90s. The Huskers became my #2 team because they played smash-mouth football. With Callahan, those days are gone. What did we have today? Less than 50 yards rushing? I say FIRE PEDERSON FIRST - MONDAY! Wait until the season is over and FIRE CALLAHAN!

Who do I want for a head coach?

1. Gary Patterson (Kansas State '81) Head coach at TCU. Nebraska would go back to what won 5 national championships.

2. David Bailiff (Texas State '81) Head coach at Texas State.

3. Glen Mason (Ohio State '72) Head coach at Minnesota - just look at the Gophers offensive statistics - they're awesome. I wouldn't want Mason, though, unless he brought a good Defensive Coordinator with him!

4. Ken Whisenhunt (Georgia Tech '84) Offensive Coordinator at the Pittsburgh Steelers. Talk about smash-mouth. Pitt takes it to other teams every week, with a pro-flavor.

I was born and raised in Lincoln. Iremember that I could hear the roars from the stadium from my old house(which is 2 miles away) when ever the huskers scored.

Nebraska used to have tradition. Like Turner Gill's prayers after every game, the great walk-on program we had, and the option run game. When Peterson came in all that went out the window. As much as I hate to say it I hope the huskers lose every game until they realize what we did wrong in firing Frank.

frank sucked and had to go........he was NOT the answer, but Ped's knee jerk reaction to make things better blew up in his face.....we should be grilling Ped's ass for hiring Cally, not so muchCally........i wonder how much pressure the boosters can bring to bear now? i bet Ped's goddamn phone will be hot on Monday!

hunter

Okay - confession. I'm 100% Alabama fan. Nebraska is my second favorite team. I grew up a Bama fan, but fell in love with Nebraska in the 90s. The Huskers became my #2 team because they played smash-mouth football. With Callahan, those days are gone. What did we have today? Less than 50 yards rushing? I say FIRE PEDERSON FIRST - MONDAY! Wait until the season is over and FIRE CALLAHAN!

Who do I want for a head coach?

1. Gary Patterson (Kansas State '81) Head coach at TCU. Nebraska would go back to what won 5 national championships.

2. David Bailiff (Texas State '81) Head coach at Texas State.

3. Glen Mason (Ohio State '72) Head coach at Minnesota - just look at the Gophers offensive statistics - they're awesome. I wouldn't want Mason, though, unless he brought a good Defensive Coordinator with him!

4. Ken Whisenhunt (Georgia Tech '84) Offensive Coordinator at the Pittsburgh Steelers. Talk about smash-mouth. Pitt takes it to other teams every week, with a pro-flavor.

As an Alabama fan, I would think you would counsel against the "revolving coach" method.

I'm having trouble thinking of any program that has gone through multiple coaches - a new one every couple of years - and was ever able to build a sucessful program or return on to sucess. Alabama is a prime example.

Folks, here's the way I think it plays out...

Callahan stays for the term of his contract. Either he finally has a breakout season during that time and gets a contract renewal almost immediately, or at the end of the five years he's gone.

The only way I see Callahan going sooner is if one of the following - or a combination of the following - occur:

1. The boosters demand his ouster.

2. The money pledged to the University starts to slip.

3. Recruiting goes downhill.

Unless one or more of the above happens, Callahan doesn't go anywhere.

Now, let's assume that he stays (meaning that recruiting, in particular, remains strong). If so, it means one of two things:

1. Callahan has started winning, and winning big; or,

2. The cupboard will be stocked with great players, in which case a great coach will look at the situation and see that he'll be given the full term of the contract and that he'll have a lot to work with.

I'm neither a Callahan supporter nor a Callahan basher. I honestly don't think that we can judge his performance on these two seasons for a number of reasons, but that's beside the point. My point is that firing him now - absent any of the three factors above - will result in Nebraska not being able to hire any decent coach, and a lack of talent for whomever is hired as coach.

We're either going to see improvement over the next few years - major improvement - or we're going to see Callahan gone at the end of his term but with a team loaded with highly regarded players. One or the other (again, unless one or more of the three conditions above occur).

As an Alabama fan, I would think you would counsel against the "revolving coach" method.

I'm having trouble thinking of any program that has gone through multiple coaches - a new one every couple of years - and was ever able to build a sucessful program or return on to sucess.  Alabama is a prime example.

Folks, here's the way I think it plays out...

Callahan stays for the term of his contract.  Either he finally has a breakout season during that time and gets a contract renewal almost immediately, or at the end of the five years he's gone.

The only way I see Callahan going sooner is if one of the following - or a combination of the following - occur:

1.  The boosters demand his ouster.

2.  The money pledged to the University starts to slip.

3.  Recruiting goes downhill.

Unless one or more of the above happens, Callahan doesn't go anywhere.

Now, let's assume that he stays (meaning that recruiting, in particular, remains strong).  If so, it means one of two things:

1.  Callahan has started winning, and winning big; or,

2.  The cupboard will be stocked with great players, in which case a great coach will look at the situation and see that he'll be given the full term of the contract and that he'll have a lot to work with.

I'm neither a Callahan supporter nor a Callahan basher.  I honestly don't think that we can judge his performance on these two seasons for a number of reasons, but that's beside the point.  My point is that firing him now - absent any of the three factors above - will result in Nebraska not being able to hire any decent coach, and a lack of talent for whomever is hired as coach.

We're either going to see improvement over the next few years - major improvement - or we're going to see Callahan gone at the end of his term but with a team loaded with highly regarded players.  One or the other (again, unless one or more of the three conditions above occur).

Quote in the OWH stated that Epply is pissed that fundraising for the Osborne complex is not what he thinks it should be. He kind of ripped the fans a new a-hole. (I'll try to get a link to it, later :thumbs _

A sign of things??? <_<

BTW, Boyd, if you are losing support, its best not to rip those who may offer you support. :blink:

Quote in the OWH stated that Epply is pissed that fundraising for the Osborne complex is not what he thinks it should be. He kind of ripped the fans a new a-hole. (I'll try to get a link to it, later :thumbs _

A sign of things???  <_<

BTW, Boyd, if you are losing support, its best not to rip those who may offer you support.  :blink:

I believe he said he was dissapointed and thought fund raising would be higher by now. I hardly call that "ripping them a new one", but hey, I'm not one to add undue hype

ne_nau.gif

You got anything else to say about AR's post?

A sign of things???  <_<

BTW, Boyd, if you are losing support, its best not to rip those who may offer you support.  :blink:

I believe he said he was dissapointed and thought fund raising would be higher by now. I hardly call that "ripping them a new one", but hey, I'm not one to add undue hype

ne_nau.gif

Slow start affects NU off field as well as on

BY RICH KAIPUST

WORLD-HERALD BUREAU

LINCOLN - It started with the University of Nebraska announcing its football facility project and asking potential donors "Are You N?"

Husker football coaches may be able to move into offices in the Tom and Nancy Osborne Athletic Complex by July. The four-story building, part of a $56 million project, is rising at the north end of Memorial Stadium.

At the two-year anniversary mark, not everybody is.

NU Athletic Director Steve Pederson said raising just under 40 percent of the necessary funds so far is a good pace. "I'd say we're maybe about where we thought we'd be."

But project director Boyd Epley expressed frustration.

"Quite frankly, I'm a little disappointed in the fans," said Epley, the NU associate athletic director. "I really expected, when we asked for help with this project, that we would raise the $50 million right away, and maybe even more than that."

Nebraska set out on Nov. 6, 2003, to raise $40 million of a $50 million price tag for the facility upgrade, including the Tom and Nancy Osborne Athletic Complex. Another $6 million has been added to the cost as further amenities have been added.

The most recent figure released by the NU athletic department shows $21.5 million raised.

Not long after the drive started, Pederson fired coach Frank Solich, ousting former head coach Osborne's handpicked successor for the job.

Solich had just completed a 9-3 regular season, but that had followed a 7-7 season. Solich's firing was followed by an awkward 40-day search for his replacement.

Osborne was unhappy with the firing of Solich and reluctant to keep his name on the building before announcing in February 2004 that the name could stay.

Bill Callahan's first season as coach was then the worst in more than four decades as the Huskers went 5-6 and missed a bowl game.

But work on the four-level Osborne Complex started - and remains on schedule. Husker football coaches could move into offices by July 17.

The additional 6,000 seats on the north side of Memorial Stadium, and 13 skyboxes atop the Osborne Complex, will be ready for next season. The field in the indoor practice facility already has been used a few times as work on that structure wraps up.

Bonds and loans are covering what hasn't been raised, but they might cost the university as much as $30 million in interest in future years. As donations come in, they are funneled into the athletic department budget and applied to debt service payments.

Epley said he can't understand how the Huskers could have 63,416 fans for their spring game in April, yet only 4,000 people contribute $100 or more to the drive.

"That shocks me," Epley said. "I'm not sure why more people have not contributed, but we need their help. They must have the wrong impression. They must think that some big donor is going to write a check and cover this."

Pederson said he isn't panicking because Nebraska continues to receive checks daily. He said a man stopped by his office before last weekend's game to say hello and introduce himself, and promised $10,000 in January.

Paul Meyers, the NU associate athletic director heading fundraising for the project, said other such commitments haven't yet been processed or figured into the total. Meyers said he and Pederson are regularly working on some big-money people capable of making a difference.

"I don't think it's stalled at all," Meyers said. "If anybody's perceived it as such, they might not have perceived it correctly."

Pederson said many schools work behind the scenes with fundraising before going public with plans. In Nebraska's case, he thought that could have delayed the start of construction by a year or longer.

"That would have put us so far behind in recruiting that we couldn't afford to do it," said Pederson, who launched the project about 10 months after he was hired. "As we announced it, we just had faith in the people of Nebraska that they would help us."

Of Epley's frustration, Pederson said: "Boyd's a guy who always wants things to go faster. Boyd's always had great big dreams, which are fabulous.

"Of course, like all of us, he wants more and more and more. But I have tremendous confidence that we're going to be where we want to be," Pederson said.

As NU concentrates on this project, Epley said, it will have to wait to start others "that are badly needed." If more money had been raised by this point, he had hoped the Huskers could convert the old West Stadium weight room into expanded space for the Hewit Center and athletes' training table, and perhaps a Hall of Champions.

Pederson oversaw a similar project as athletic director at the University of Pittsburgh when the Petersen Events Center basketball arena was built. He said the progress on that project was similar to NU's.

"We had people giving us money right up to the grand opening of that building," Pederson said. "If I had thought things had dried up here, maybe I'd be discouraged about that. But they haven't at all."

The consensus of NU personnel is that the completed Osborne Complex is going to be impressive. Epley said Callahan spent 21/2 hours in the facility when the Huskers weren't playing on Sept. 24.

"It's unbelievable," Epley said. "I've been looking at drawings for a couple years now, so it's exciting now that you can see it."

From: http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_pg=38&u_sid=2059624

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I dunno, sounds kind of upset to me :blink:

You got anything else to say about AR's post?

No, not really, its pretty fair and even balanced, thanks for asking though ;)