Fan From Alabama - FIRE CALLAHAN!

I agree with the thread about Coach C being a loser. However there has been so many responses I will add my comments here...and see what y'all have to say. Let me begin by saying...some of you on here have put down Coach Tom O saying he was part of the reason why we are in the state we are in. I'm not sure where you get this...he won 9-10 games every year, graduated his players, had his teams in position to win championships over 3/4ths of his NU career, when things weren't going his way and they were losing bowl games, him and his coaching staff changed their approach to the game and recruiting. He has coached some of the greatest players in college history...Rozier, Gill, Fryar, Remmington, Frazier, Noonan, and the list goes on...he was the coach of possibly the best team in college. I can go on if you would like. His resume will go down as one of the best in the history of the game...and here is the point I would like to make. Coach tom would never embarrass the program by calling other fans "hillbillies," or making a hand gesture to the officials. the only thing he did that I would question is allowing L. Phillips to come back as soon as he did, but even that shows what kind of a man he is by giving someone a second chance. Coach O's teams were never in trouble with the NCAA, and you never heard of him in controversy. He was a "God-fearing man (that is not meant to start a religious conversation) who loved three things...1. God 2. His family and 3. Football. He coached and lived knowing he was in the spotlight, and people were watching him. I don't believe Coach C cares if people are watching him. Not only has Callahan taken this team down, I'm not sure the Nebraska coaching position is an attractive one anymore. I have said it before and I will say it again...I want Coach C gone, and I will be happy when that day comes. In the mean time I guess I will have to wait for more "hillbilly" comments and "hand gestures," because at this point...this is BIG RED football.

I said it before and I'll say it again. It's not that I want Callahan gone,it's that I want Nebraska to be back. I loved Osborne,his poise, his stolid esteem, his calmness. Man, you hardly ever see a coach that cool nowadays.And we have gone from one extreme to another with Callahan. I don't know if he realizes this isn't the Raiders where the fans enjoy seeing that kind of behavior. It seems that everywhere in the country coaches have three years to prove themselves nowadays, be that good or bad. The heat will be on Callahan and Pederson next year and if he does not manage AT LEAST NINE WINS, you can pretty much kiss him goodbye. If the WCO works here, spectacular! If it doesn't, we need a new coach that get some recruits in here to come and run the ball all over our opponents like the days of old.

I agree with the thread about Coach C being a loser. However there has been so many responses I will add my comments here...and see what y'all have to say. Let me begin by saying...some of you on here have put down Coach Tom O saying he was part of the reason why we are in the state we are in. I'm not sure where you get this...he won 9-10 games every year, graduated his players, had his teams in position to win championships over 3/4ths of his NU career, when things weren't going his way and they were losing bowl games, him and his coaching staff changed their approach to the game and recruiting. He has coached some of the greatest players in college history...Rozier, Gill, Fryar, Remmington, Frazier, Noonan, and the list goes on...he was the coach of possibly the best team in college. I can go on if you would like. His resume will go down as one of the best in the history of the game...and here is the point I would like to make. Coach tom would never embarrass the program by calling other fans "hillbillies," or making a hand gesture to the officials. the only thing he did that I would question is allowing L. Phillips to come back as soon as he did, but even that shows what kind of a man he is by giving someone a second chance. Coach O's teams were never in trouble with the NCAA, and you never heard of him in controversy. He was a "God-fearing man (that is not meant to start a religious conversation) who loved three things...1. God 2. His family and 3. Football. He coached and lived knowing he was in the spotlight, and people were watching him. I don't believe Coach C cares if people are watching him. Not only has Callahan taken this team down, I'm not sure the Nebraska coaching position is an attractive one anymore. I have said it before and I will say it again...I want Coach C gone, and I will be happy when that day comes. In the mean time I guess I will have to wait for more "hillbilly" comments and "hand gestures," because at this point...this is BIG RED football.

I agree with most, but TO lost I believe 7 or 8 bowl games in a row at one time. I don't exactly see this as changing things. They did eventually change recruiting tactics, but come on they lost a lot of consecutive bowl games. I bet if you take 1983 to 1993, we had a losing record in bowl games by an astronomical amount. Also, letting Phillips come back too soon? He let him come back for the bowl game just so he could have a good game before going pro.

Don't get me wrong, TO was a great coach. However, he did have teams where players got into a lot of trouble. I believe it was Tyrone Williams who was shooting down O Street. Muhammad returned from the summer getting shot in the ass during a gang fight. Phillips beating and dragging his ex. g/f. Farley getting DUI's. There was quite a list of things happening with players and the law.

In terms of BC making gestures and saying things, let me ask you this: would you feel the same way if we were 8-0 and in the hunt for a title? Winning cures everything. We gave TO a pass in the 90's with the questionable stunts his players were committing. We'd just laugh about all of this if the season were going better.

I'm neutral. I couldn't give a rats ass if BC stays or is canned tomorrow. I love NU football, but I blame the AD for where we are now. If BC turns out, great. If not, move on.

agree with the thread about Coach C being a loser. However there has been so many responses I will add my comments here...and see what y'all have to say. Let me begin by saying...some of you on here have put down Coach Tom O saying he was part of the reason why we are in the state we are in. I'm not sure where you get this...he won 9-10 games every year, graduated his players, had his teams in position to win championships over 3/4ths of his NU career, when things weren't going his way and they were losing bowl games, him and his coaching staff changed their approach to the game and recruiting. He has coached some of the greatest players in college history...Rozier, Gill, Fryar, Remmington, Frazier, Noonan, and the list goes on...he was the coach of possibly the best team in college. I can go on if you would like. His resume will go down as one of the best in the history of the game...and here is the point I would like to make. Coach tom would never embarrass the program by calling other fans "hillbillies," or making a hand gesture to the officials. the only thing he did that I would question is allowing L. Phillips to come back as soon as he did, but even that shows what kind of a man he is by giving someone a second chance. Coach O's teams were never in trouble with the NCAA, and you never heard of him in controversy. He was a "God-fearing man (that is not meant to start a religious conversation) who loved three things...1. God 2. His family and 3. Football. He coached and lived knowing he was in the spotlight, and people were watching him. I don't believe Coach C cares if people are watching him. Not only has Callahan taken this team down, I'm not sure the Nebraska coaching position is an attractive one anymore. I have said it before and I will say it again...I want Coach C gone, and I will be happy when that day comes. In the mean time I guess I will have to wait for more "hillbilly" comments and "hand gestures," because at this point...this is BIG RED football.

Ok, let me offer my rebuttal on almost every single fact you brought up:

TO won 9-10 games every year -- he took over for Devaney using the SAME players for the SAME offense

Grauduated his players -- don't think any of Callahan's players have had time to graduate just yet

In position to win championships in 3/4 off his season -- That's about 18 out of 25 years, was he in position after 2 years? (9-2-1 in '73, 9-3 in '74) NOPE

Coached some of the greatest players in college football history...most of the names there came about 10 years after TO became head coach...if you give him time Callahan might have a chance to coach some of the greatest college and possibly pro players

I won't even get into the religious aspect of this arguement because everyone is entitled to their own religious views. Although Frank was probably the same way as TO, but you probably never knew because his teams weren't as good. He also didn't coach for 25 years.

Bottom line, you along with all the othe Callahan naysers need to stop lamenting the past and move on. It's called patience, and I am willing to wait for Callahan to turn us into a contender again. With great recruits and an experienced staff, I know they can get it done. Go ahead, fire Callahan after this year, do you want to bring back TO?...i think he will be occupied as the governor.....Frank? I think he enjoys being back home in Ohio......Let's face it fellow Huskers, it's time for a change and with change comes patience. Until you can figure that out, forget the past and focus on the future.

agree with the thread about Coach C being a loser. However there has been so many responses I will add my comments here...and see what y'all have to say. Let me begin by saying...some of you on here have put down Coach Tom O saying he was part of the reason why we are in the state we are in. I'm not sure where you get this...he won 9-10 games every year, graduated his players, had his teams in position to win championships over 3/4ths of his NU career, when things weren't going his way and they were losing bowl games, him and his coaching staff changed their approach to the game and recruiting. He has coached some of the greatest players in college history...Rozier, Gill, Fryar, Remmington, Frazier, Noonan, and the list goes on...he was the coach of possibly the best team in college. I can go on if you would like. His resume will go down as one of the best in the history of the game...and here is the point I would like to make. Coach tom would never embarrass the program by calling other fans "hillbillies," or making a hand gesture to the officials. the only thing he did that I would question is allowing L. Phillips to come back as soon as he did, but even that shows what kind of a man he is by giving someone a second chance. Coach O's teams were never in trouble with the NCAA, and you never heard of him in controversy. He was a "God-fearing man (that is not meant to start a religious conversation) who loved three things...1. God 2. His family and 3. Football. He coached and lived knowing he was in the spotlight, and people were watching him. I don't believe Coach C cares if people are watching him. Not only has Callahan taken this team down, I'm not sure the Nebraska coaching position is an attractive one anymore. I have said it before and I will say it again...I want Coach C gone, and I will be happy when that day comes. In the mean time I guess I will have to wait for more "hillbilly" comments and "hand gestures," because at this point...this is BIG RED football.

Ok, let me offer my rebuttal on almost every single fact you brought up:

TO won 9-10 games every year -- he took over for Devaney using the SAME players for the SAME offense

Grauduated his players -- don't think any of Callahan's players have had time to graduate just yet

In position to win championships in 3/4 off his season -- That's about 18 out of 25 years, was he in position after 2 years? (9-2-1 in '73, 9-3 in '74) NOPE

Coached some of the greatest players in college football history...most of the names there came about 10 years after TO became head coach...if you give him time Callahan might have a chance to coach some of the greatest college and possibly pro players

I won't even get into the religious aspect of this arguement because everyone is entitled to their own religious views. Although Frank was probably the same way as TO, but you probably never knew because his teams weren't as good. He also didn't coach for 25 years.

Bottom line, you along with all the othe Callahan naysers need to stop lamenting the past and move on. It's called patience, and I am willing to wait for Callahan to turn us into a contender again. With great recruits and an experienced staff, I know they can get it done. Go ahead, fire Callahan after this year, do you want to bring back TO?...i think he will be occupied as the governor.....Frank? I think he enjoys being back home in Ohio......Let's face it fellow Huskers, it's time for a change and with change comes patience. Until you can figure that out, forget the past and focus on the future.

I agree with some of what you said, but not all.

True, but it is a faaaaaar cry from 5-6. There's still hope for this year, but I don't see more than 8-4 or 7-5. 14 wins at the most for Cally (and that's only if he wins all his games the rest of this year, plus his bowl game), 18 for TO in his first 2. TO took over a 9 win team, but used a similar offense. BC took over a 10 win team, and used a completely different offense. So, I think it's a tough comparison, but TO still won more games, so I think it's kinda like apples and oranges. Just my opinion.

Coached some of the greatest players in college football history...most of the names there came about 10 years after TO became head coach...if you give him time Callahan might have a chance to coach some of the greatest college and possibly pro players.

I hope so. But what about players like Jarvis Redwine...IM Hipp...David Humm...John Dutton...Vince Ferragamo...and more. I think TO had some talent early, just had a lot more in the 90's. These guys played in the 70's...

I am running out of patience, but I still have faith in Callahan. Do I agree with everything he's done? Definately not. Will I run out of patience if NU doesn't win the North next year? Yes. But firing him now would further screw up the program Pedey has tried so hard to kill (being sarcastic here...don't jump me, please!). NOBODY would come to NU if Callahan were fired before 3 years. Besides, who would Pedey hire? Probably somebody lame like Nutt...Cally is a decent coach...I will give him some more time.

:wacko:

First of all, if you are going to compare every coach we have to TO, then absolutely no one will ever match up to your satisfaction !!!!!

TO is my hero, idol, role model, hell, I even invited him to my wedding..... but to try to compare BC to TO after 2 years is insane !!!!!

I have stated many times on this board, that I am not a big BC supporter, yet, but anyone who is calling for acoaching change before you give him 4 years, does not have a clue about what kind of damage a change would do to this university :wtf

Let's just compare everyone to TO, and only give them 2 years to be successfulm with players whom do not match their system.... Man, you will get a lot of great young coaching prospects applying for that kind of situation :wacko:

The people saying that BC will never win a NC are probably right... As soon as he records 9 wins and the North title, he will get a chance to bolt for the NFL, and I would assume that he will jump at the chance..... Who could blame him, life in the NFL has to be easier than in Lincoln... Some people have not and will not give him a chance to succeed...

At least in the NFL, he can get a little excited on the sideline, without being drug through the mud.....Hell, I am Steeler fan, and Cowher has chased officials to mid-field and shoved paper into their pocket...... a geture is child's play.....

I'm neutral. I couldn't give a rats ass if BC stays or is canned tomorrow. I love NU football, but I blame the AD for where we are now. If BC turns out, great. If not, move on.

This is pretty much the way I feel. Most of my animosity is really for Pederson and how he created this whole mess. I give BC a hard time because I didn't believe he was the right choice and I don't think he's going to work out. I could be wrong, though.

You need to look at the Teams Nebraska lost to in the Bowl games during 1983 to 1993. Some were the National champs and most if not all were Top 5.

Osborne did make changes. Not only in recruiting. He also changed up his Defense after the 92 Season.

He changed up his recruiting prior to that to get more speed. When he had the Speed to make the change to the 4-3 Defense, that is what they did. That was in 93. They lost to FSU on some questionable calls and a missed FG. Interesting thing is, Osborne and McBride were visiting FSU each summer leading up to the 93 Season. They were going to FSU to learn their 4-3 Defense.

I agree with the thread about Coach C being a loser. However there has been so many responses I will add my comments here...and see what y'all have to say. Let me begin by saying...some of you on here have put down Coach Tom O saying he was part of the reason why we are in the state we are in.

I don't think you can pinpoint any one thing as the reason that the program has slid, but Osborne appointed Solich and you know what rolled downhill from there.

I'm not sure where you get this...he won 9-10 games every year, graduated his players, had his teams in position to win championships over 3/4ths of his NU career, when things weren't going his way and they were losing bowl games, him and his coaching staff changed their approach to the game and recruiting..

Tons of people wanted Osborne gone as late as 1992. He seemingly didn't win a big game for 10-12 years. Won all the ones he was supposed, lost when facing another top 10. He changed his recruiting approach in the late 70's which led to the Scoring Explosion in the early 80's, then again in the early 90's when he realized that fast, talented defenses won championships. He was given ample time to make things right, beating up on lesser teams in the Big 8, losing a bowl every year, and losing to the only good nonconference team NU played each year. I dunno where you get your figures for him graduating your players, but the football team's cumulative GPA for the 2004-2005 season was the HIGHEST it has ever been. Doing well in school doesn't necessarily take smarts, but it takes hard work and discipline, and Callahan seems to have instilled that aspect into the players. So just consider that before you throw him under the bus.

Coach tom would never embarrass the program by calling other fans "hillbillies," or making a hand gesture to the officials.

Of course not, TO was about as animated as a toaster. Ya know what, I probably would have called the OU fans stupid hillbillies as well, considering THEY HAD ANOTHER GAME TO PLAY AND THEY WERE THROWING ORANGES. The significance of the oranges being thrown used to be that the OU-NU game was the last regular season game of the year and would decide who went to the orange bowl. When you have a game left to play and the other team is not vying for the Orange Bowl, guess what, you are a stupid hillbilly if you do throw an orange. The hand gesture thing was also so overblown it was ridiculous. Even if you read his lips you can tell he says "up to here" then drew the imaginary line. If that embarasses you, then you are probably redfaced most of your life.

Coach O's teams were never in trouble with the NCAA, and you never heard of him in controversy.

Newearth just mentioned Doug Dubose. I also remember a running back named Soto that played the entire 88 or 89 season while he was academically ineligible. I vaguely remember Brian Blankenship and his motorvehicle homocide. Junior also stated how much crap his players got away with in the 90's. Christian Peter couldn't keep it in his pants. Abdul Muhammad. Scott Baldwin. Riley Washington. Reggie Baul. Lawrence Phillips. The list goes on and on. Consider that before you want to canonize TO.

I don't believe Coach C cares if people are watching him.

Do you live your life based upon what people think of you? He practically lives in a fishbowl and can't care what everyone says about him.

Not only has Callahan taken this team down, I'm not sure the Nebraska coaching position is an attractive one anymore.

See my response in the "Callahan is a loser" thread for concrete evidence of how this team has risen up this year. How is the coaching position not as attractive anymore because of him? If anything, blame that on Pederson for his hiring debacle.

I have said it before and I will say it again...I want Coach C gone, and I will be happy when that day comes.

You just said that the Nebraska Coaching position is not an attractive one anymore. With Callahan gone, what makes you think a "better" coach would want it then? Answer that for me BigRedtls.

Now click your heels three times and repeat after me..."there's no place like home!". Living in the past once again! You can argue the TO/Solich debate until your blue in the face. Simple fact that the option, TO, and Solich ARE NEVER COMING BACK!!!!!!!!