I am in need of some help/advice for my lawn

Here is the deal yo. I have a slight down slope in my back yard. I have always recieved ample water and sun/shade to have a healthy lawn without the help of anything. Just ol mother nature doing her work. Well long story short the lack of water, then masive rains caused alot of runof from the upper 'common area' to run to my back yard. That with some of it getting burned has left the back half of my yard looking like death warmed over.

It is getting nice outside and I need to apply seed and fertilizer. Problem is i lived in apts for years and have never had to do anything to my lawn besides water it before. What are some cheap but effective options? do i seed then fertilize? or the other way around? or together? Do i need to add a weed preventor because i have alot of dead grass?

I basically have no clue how to save my last 1/4 of lawn?

Get a dog. Your lawn won't look any better. But at least you'll have an excuse.

Plus, you'll have time to play with your dog while you are not doing lawn work. Everybody wins!

i got a dog now. it doesnt have to be perfect, i just dont want half of my back yard to be dead and full of weeds.

Hit it with Scotts weed and feed. then in a couple of weeks over seed and water. It'll help.

T_O_B

G>B>R

You have to be careful with weed and feed in reference to when you overseed your yard. Most of those products don't want you to seed for 4 months as the seeds will be killed by the chemicals. Just a FYI...............

Hit it with Scotts weed and feed. then in a couple of weeks over seed and water. It'll help.

T_O_B

G>B>R

You have to be careful with weed and feed in reference to when you overseed your yard. Most of those products don't want you to seed for 4 months as the seeds will be killed by the chemicals. Just a FYI...............

I'm gonna check to make sure I know you can seed and fertilize so I'll take a good look around and be back.

T_O_B

You are right BRI my bad. Here is some info from "helpfulgardner.com."

NewbieGardner

icon_minipost.gifPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 10:29 pm Post subject: Do I weed and feed before I seed?... icon_quote.gif I have a lawn that has different issues. I have weeds, some clumps of things that I can't tell weather or not it's weeds or some kind of grass, patches in the front where not much grass is growing at all, and in the backyard I have thicker grass. I bought some new seed to put down in the front and I also bought some Scott's weed and feed to put down. Problem is which do I do first? How do I identify the different kinds of things growing on my lawn? I read the directions for the weed and feed and it said that you have to put it on the lawn like early in the morning when there is dew on the lawn and then you have to make sure there will be about two days before you have any new rain. That has been very difficult because it seems like lately it rains every day. My lawn looks pretty bad right now and I would like to have a nice lawn, but I also don't want to break the bank or use chemicals that will be bad for the environment. I don't know, but maybe the weed and feed was a bad choice.

Any help is appreciated!

icon_profile.gif icon_pm.gif

spacer.gif

vintagejuls

Green Thumb

10877177194a1f1a2dbc10e.jpg

icon_minipost.gifPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 10:56 pm Post subject: icon_quote.gif Lawns are water hogs icon_exclaim.gif

It sounds to me like your lawn has been deprived of water. If you have dirt, plant the seed and water that area a little bit every day (but NO Weed & Feed there).

For the remainer of the lawn which you think is some weeds and clumps (crabgrass probably), use the weed and feed early in the morning since the lawn is moist with dew and then water right after; proceed with daily or every other day waterings. If watering daily, just 5 minutes will do. Weed and feed is all nitrogen which grass loves; so applying the nitrogen makes the grass grow and squeezes out the weeds. But since grass is a water hog you have to give it lots of water and then once your lawn is established you can back off on the watering some (1X a week). After applying the lawn food or weed & feed (nitrogen rich), the grass requires water to avoid burning which will cause yellowing. So make sure the grass is moist and the weather cool before you feed it anything. I've made the mistake of applying lawn food when it was too warm.

Another tip is how you mow your lawn. Mowing your lawn too low opens it up for weeds. Depending on how many bare spots you have or clumps, let it grow out so you can get an idea of how and what is growing.

I'm new to lawn care but have had much success with my suggestion here. You will see results in 30days or so.

Good luck and keep us posted. icon_biggrin.gif

~ Julie

Tomorrow is a new day; you shall begin it well... Emerson

icon_profile.gif icon_pm.gif

spacer.gif

Bestlawn

Cool Member

<a href="http://www.helpfulgardener.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=70043&sid=4d9b75bdf2058091c8ff041af7b826b9#70043">icon_minipost.gifPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 4:51 pm Post subject: icon_quote.gif Newbiegardner, you have to choose which one you want to do at this time - seed or control weeds. Doing both is an impossible task. Also, I'd say it is too late to start trying to grow grass anyway. Normally, it's something that begins earlier in spring, and this is May already. The major problem is impending high temperatures, whereas the new grass won't have time to establish its roots system good before having to deal with high temps. Besides, the best time to seed is fall. It can be done in spring, but you can expect better results doing it in early fall between mid-August and mid-September.

I expect you are growing Kentucky Bluegrass there in Indiana. You might have fescue, but I kind of doubt it. If you know what type of grass you have, please let us know. If I'm right and it is Bluegrass, I don't think you have to worry about the bald spots for long. When properly maintained (as the maintenance schedule will help you do), Bluegrass will grow to fill in empty spots. You might look up in the fall and decide you don't really have to overseed afterall.

Ordinarily, I don't recommend using weed-n-feed combo products, but you have it so you might as well use it. Just make sure the product is labeled for broadleaf weeds like dandelion and clover. Follow instructions on the label for when and how to apply and heed the rain specifications. No one should offer advice that differs from what the label tells you. If this is a particularly high rainy season, then hold off on applying.

If you are overseeding your yard you can put fertilizer down just don't put fertilizer down with herbicide in it like weed and feed. Your grass will die shortly after germinating if you do. Once your new seed is established and you are sure its all up you can come in and spray something to knock down the broadleaves. A good rule of thumb is to wait until you have mowed your new grass two or three times.

If you are overseeding your yard you can put fertilizer down just don't put fertilizer down with herbicide in it like weed and feed. Your grass will die shortly after germinating if you do. Once your new seed is established and you are sure its all up you can come in and spray something to knock down the broadleaves. A good rule of thumb is to wait until you have mowed your new grass two or three times.

Only a bit redundant. Said already above. ...and Fro if we bring our own steak and beer will you throw in the spuds and charcoal once the grass is growing green and great?

T_O_B

G>B>R