OWH article

Lee has a few interesting things in it. I don't agree with the tone of the article at all.

While I participate in the rumor mill by posting names I see elsewhere, I certainly understand why T.O wants to keep the speculation down and I fully support his approach if that's how he wants to do it, because I think it can hurt/influence negotiations. Hearing all the turndowns during the Collier hire and how it was a struggle put the program in a bad light during the hiring process. There's is absolutely no need to rush to get a coach! If this was August then there would be but this is March and with the tourney going on, T.O is being respectful of the other schools and working through back channels as he should. It's harder to get things done fast when going through an intermediary. And like he has said before they want to get it right. We don't need to know at this point. Let him do his job. He has given us the parameters in the process. The parameters are: They have no time frame, they are taking their tiime, they are keeping it quiet.

After they go through the process he will tell us all about it. What more could you ask. I respect this approach.

http://www.bigredtoday.com/article/20120317/BIGRED/703179834/-1#barfknecht-separating-fact-fiction-in-nu-coach-search

Lee has a few interesting things in it. I don't agree with the tone of the article at all.

While I participate in the rumor mill by posting names I see elsewhere, I certainly understand why T.O wants to keep the speculation down and I fully support his approach if that's how he wants to do it, because I think it can hurt/influence negotiations. Hearing all the turndowns during the Collier hire and how it was a struggle put the program in a bad light during the hiring process. There's is absolutely no need to rush to get a coach! If this was August then there would be but this is March and with the tourney going on, T.O is being respectful of the other schools and working through back channels as he should. It's harder to get things done fast when going through an intermediary. And like he has said before they want to get it right. We don't need to know at this point. Let him do his job. He has given us the parameters in the process. The parameters are: They have no time frame, they are taking their tiime, they are keeping it quiet.

After they go through the process he will tell us all about it. What more could you ask. I respect this approach.

http://www.bigredtod...nu-coach-search

Completely agree, TO is a Smart person and he is also smart enough to know when he needs help. He does his research both in who will be the best to help and also who will be the best fit. People need to chill, TO will do what is best for Nebraska ALWAYS.

Lee really has been on the outside looking in on this search and is struggling to maintain credibility as the beat writer for hoops. He didn't even have Dixon from Pitt or Collins from Duke in his list and both are also known targets that we have or want to speak with. Altman hasn't been contacted yet and it's rumored he's the coach saying Nebraska is a grave yard for basketball coaches.

• Fire 1

Lee really has been on the outside looking in on this search and is struggling to maintain credibility as the beat writer for hoops. He didn't even have Dixon from Pitt or Collins from Duke in his list and both are also known targets that we have or want to speak with. Altman hasn't been contacted yet and it's rumored he's the coach saying Nebraska is a grave yard for basketball coaches.

I like that we're at least "thinking big" with Dixon & Howland since they're established HC's from traditional power basketball schools, even though I have no confidence in landing either one or anyone else leading a similar program for that matter.

I think Nebraska basketball will continue to be a revolving-door for up-and-coming mid-major coaches. Pretty much what it's always been up to this point, $200M facilities upgrades be damned. :P I just hope with this continuing model we have more "hits" than "misses" on future coaching hires since the facilities should alleviate some of the woes that previous coaches weren't privy to for consistent success.

I like that we're at least "thinking big" with Dixon & Howland since they're established HC's from traditional power basketball schools, even though I have no confidence in landing either one or anyone else leading a similar program for that matter.

I think Nebraska basketball will continue to be a revolving-door for up-and-coming mid-major coaches. Pretty much what it's always been up to this point, $200M facilities upgrades be damned. :P I just hope with this continuing model we have more "hits" than "misses" on future coaching hires since the facilities should alleviate some of the woes that previous coaches weren't privy to for consistent success.

The commonality with Dixon and Howland is Boehm. Otherwisw, what established "Bigs" are we targeting ?

By the way, why does Boehm continue to get a pass on basketball ineptitude? Where are his contributions and successes? Just asking......

The commonality with Dixon and Howland is Boehm. Otherwisw, what established "Bigs" are we targeting ?

By the way, why does Boehm continue to get a pass on basketball ineptitude? Where are his contributions and successes? Just asking......

I realize Boehm is the connection to those two, but that's how it works sometimes. You use your connections and hope for the best. I have no comment on Boehm. Don't know enough about him to make good/bad judgment.

It is Day Nine of Nebraska's search for a men's basketball coach, and the silence has grown deafening. Husker Athletic Director Tom Osborne and Executive Associate A.D. Marc Boehm — four days after firing Doc Sadler — halted comment on the process, leaving a vacuum the size of the World Wide Web.

So Barfknecht is all bent out of shape because he's not on T.O.'s speeddial?? Because Tom and Boehm are not keeping him and other media grunts in the know about the details of the search process?? Taking this article as a whole, it sounds like: 1) Lee has no clue about how a coaching search is conducted; or 2) Lee is an asshat. Actually, I think it's a little of both #1 and #2.

• Fire 1

I think he's done a very good job of creating a booster base for basketball when virtually none existed. While Doc was often one step forward 1 1/2 back he was a very good coach PR wise which was needed and he was and still is popular with many boosters and former players. That was an issue at the end of Née and driven away by the masses with Barry. It was a huge struggle to even educate the Boosters on how bad our set up was and how far behind the times we were. We kept thinking our set up was only a step behind. I liken it to Colorados football facilities. They have a heaping sess pool that they need to address. We were behind the majority of the Valley in terms of facilities and all of the B12 and B10. For the longest time it was win and we'll support the program until then it's a waste of time and money. That culture takes huge amounts of energy to change. He's as much to credit with the baby step changes to the Bob and getting the practice facility as anyone. He's also the guy who got the Pershing management on board with bring a new arena to town. That group was always a major hurdle in the discussion to build a new venue in Lincoln when they had no assurances they could manage the new building. So...to me he's done a good Jon in changing our culture this far and bringing the right people together to move the program forward. In my opinion men's basketball was at best a #3 in importance in the AD and with boosters behind football and volleyball. At times it might have been behind baseball as well as women's basketball. Honestly it might have set 4 th much of the last 10-12 years.

I think he's done a very good job of creating a booster base for basketball when virtually none existed. While Doc was often one step forward 1 1/2 back he was a very good coach PR wise which was needed and he was and still is popular with many boosters and former players. That was an issue at the end of Née and driven away by the masses with Barry. It was a huge struggle to even educate the Boosters on how bad our set up was and how far behind the times we were. We kept thinking our set up was only a step behind. I liken it to Colorados football facilities. They have a heaping sess pool that they need to address. We were behind the majority of the Valley in terms of facilities and all of the B12 and B10. For the longest time it was win and we'll support the program until then it's a waste of time and money. That culture takes huge amounts of energy to change. He's as much to credit with the baby step changes to the Bob and getting the practice facility as anyone. He's also the guy who got the Pershing management on board with bring a new arena to town. That group was always a major hurdle in the discussion to build a new venue in Lincoln when they had no assurances they could manage the new building. So...to me he's done a good Jon in changing our culture this far and bringing the right people together to move the program forward. In my opinion men's basketball was at best a #3 in importance in the AD and with boosters behind football and volleyball. At times it might have been behind baseball as well as women's basketball. Honestly it might have set 4 th much of the last 10-12 years.

Good inside info..............thanks......

It is Day Nine of Nebraska's search for a men's basketball coach, and the silence has grown deafening. Husker Athletic Director Tom Osborne and Executive Associate A.D. Marc Boehm — four days after firing Doc Sadler — halted comment on the process, leaving a vacuum the size of the World Wide Web.

So Barfknecht is all bent out of shape because he's not on T.O.'s speeddial?? Because Tom and Boehm are not keeping him and other media grunts in the know about the details of the search process?? Taking this article as a whole, it sounds like: 1) Lee has no clue about how a coaching search is conducted; or 2) Lee is an asshat. Actually, I think it's a little of both #1 and #2.

:thumbs Big Thumbs Up.....Barfknecht needs to have a daily cup of S.T.F.U. during this selection process....

:thumbs Big Thumbs Up.....Barfknecht needs to have a daily cup of S.T.F.U. during this selection process....

I'd tell him that but both he and Dirk have me blocked on twitter because I often questioned their motives with their reporting of Bo and things related to NU. I never once attacked personally but would point out how hypocritical they were with their opinions based on if they liked the coach or not. (they always insisted they kept bias out of the reporting) The final straw with Dirk is when I asked him when his column bashing McDermit was going to be published. That was when he went ape sh#t for the second time this year during the game. The second time being when he relentlessly went after his star player (even though it was his own son). I then simply asked if that type of critism was only reserved for football and coaches named Bo?

I posted this in another thread but thought it might go well here too...

"OZZIE needs to climb aboard the new Husker Basketball Jet fly down to St. Louis and give Rick Majeras what ever it takes to get him to come to Lincoln and be our coach. There are already 4 B1G teams in the Sweet 16 and Purdue still has its second round game to play. This is a basketball conference and right now we are the doormat gang.

T_O_B

G>B>R "

I don't see Ben Howland leaving UCLA. If we get someone from Kansas, North Carolina, Duke, Syracuse, Michigan State, Ohio State, ect., ect. it will be an assistant. When I think of Shaka Smart, Tommy Amachre and several other Mid Major caches (the coach at Norfolk State, the coach Loyala Md, for example) I almost think they are perhaps a gamble and with their stars shining bright would they want to come to Nebraska when our basketball reputation is basically, "In Nebraska we play football and our kids grow up big and not necessairly tall. Basketball season is for national letter of intent signing day and how long is it till the Spring Game." I think we could possibly have a real shot at Majeras. He hasn't ever really been at a basketball power but is teams win and they do get to The Dance.

T_O_B

G>B>R