HuffPost Editorial - Nebraska: Fire Assistant Football Coach Ron Brown

"You put your arms around that person struggling with homosexuality and you help walk him or her to the truth of Jesus Christ, just as you would any other player involved in any other sin."

That quote is quite concerning and if he ever confronted a player about his sexuality he should be fired.

I read the HuffPost article and was underwhelmed. They try to make it sound like RB uses his position as football coach to beat players over the head with his Bible. In the letter portion after the article I saw this note from someone who identified himself as a former player:

I played football at Nebraska while coach Brown was an assistant there. He never once "pushed" his religious beliefs on me. He never once "preached" to us in the locker room or on the field. He did not have a classroom setting or "pulpit" to push his views onto any of the players. I never heard one player complain about him pushing his views onto them. Yes we knew he was Christian. He did not sway us to dislike non Christians. He would conduct prayers after the games for those of us who wanted to pray at mid field. Also players from the other team could participate if they wanted to. It was never a mandatory thing. You guys are acting like he preaches all day long at UNL and pushes his views on the students. He does not do that.

While I agree some Christians have gone overboard in their attempt to witness, RB isn't one of them. Neither does he apologize for his beliefs or back down from them.

Why would you try to re-interpret them? This is a guy that took time out of his day, to travel to a city he doesnt even live in, to lend his name to an effort to preserve discrimination. When he says something bigoted, I see no reason not to take his words at face value.

Why would you try to re-interpret them? This is a guy that took time out of his day, to travel to a city he doesnt even live in, to lend his name to an effort to preserve discrimination. When he says something bigoted, I see no reason not to take his words at face value.

Well, the obvious answer would be that his words might not be bigoted at all, and face value would be something different which you're failing to see.

I'm as big of a Ron Brown supporter as you're going to find, but it is quite clear what he was saying in his testimony. I would love for Coach Brown to not have done what he did. But he did. And it doesn't do any good to try to rewrite history.

Sad as it is for me to say, it may be time for Coach Brown to focus on his ministry and hang up his whistle. I support his right to say what he says, but I do not support his insinuation that he said it wrapped in the cloak of "1 Memorial Stadium."

People have raised concerns about Coach Brown off and on in the past. Inevitably they are people unconnected with the football team, with Coach Brown personally, or with his ministry. There have never been any allegations (to my reasonably certain knowledge) that Coach Brown has coerced or in any way intimidated kids, in any way.

The ACLU has raised a stink about Coach Brown's talks in area schools, but as Brown says in those videos above, he's up-front about the content of his talks before going to any school, and he does not coerce anyone into sitting through his talks. If someone doesn't want to attend, they don't attend.

People have raised concerns about Coach Brown off and on in the past. Inevitably they are people unconnected with the football team, with Coach Brown personally, or with his ministry. There have never been any allegations (to my reasonably certain knowledge) that Coach Brown has coerced or in any way intimidated kids, in any way.

The ACLU has raised a stink about Coach Brown's talks in area schools, but as Brown says in those videos above, he's up-front about the content of his talks before going to any school, and he does not coerce anyone into sitting through his talks. If someone doesn't want to attend, they don't attend.

Ok...well I had never heard anything so I thought I'd ask. I still think this guy's just trying to stir up the pot and I don't buy his "athlete" credentials either. Even the website he runs is a complete joke. If he wanted people to take his argument seriously he's doing it all wrong.

Ok...well I had never heard anything so I thought I'd ask. I still think this guy's just trying to stir up the pot and I don't buy his "athlete" credentials either. Even the website he runs is a complete joke. If he wanted people to take his argument seriously he's doing it all wrong.

The HuffPo guy? Oh, definitely. I don't give a damn what that guy thinks. Never heard of him, don't care about his opinion, and he clearly knows nothing about Ron Brown. I agree he's just trying to stir the pot. Screw him.

The HuffPo guy? Oh, definitely. I don't give a damn what that guy thinks. Never heard of him, don't care about his opinion, and he clearly knows nothing about Ron Brown. I agree he's just trying to stir the pot. Screw him.

Yea the Huggle Puff guy

I'll take the word of Ron Brown himself over some mysterious internet poster who claims to be a former player.

Ron's words himself, while they seem alarming, can probably be easily interpreted in a way that isn't so frightening.

I don't necessarily consider them overly alarming or frightening, but they do clearly contradict the idea that he doesn't push his beliefs on his players.

It would be refreshing to hear your interpretation of the things he was quoted as saying in this editorial. I interpreted them a lot like the writer seemed to. It seems many people who disagree with the editorial are more concerned with ad hominem attacks on the writer instead of actually addressing what he wrote. I'm not sure how his athletic prowess is relevant. I disagree with the main premise that Coach Brown should be fired, but Zeigler did bring up some very good, well-reasoned points. Also, unless the writer purposely fudged facts, I don't see how it matters that HuffPost isn't the most reliable of news sources, this piece was clearly presented as an editorial.

I'll take the word of Ron Brown himself over some mysterious internet poster who claims to be a former player.

Ron's words himself, while they seem alarming, can probably be easily interpreted in a way that isn't so frightening.

I don't necessarily consider them overly alarming or frightening, but they do clearly contradict the idea that he doesn't push his beliefs on his players.

It would be refreshing to hear your interpretation of the things he was quoted as saying in this editorial. I interpreted them a lot like the writer seemed to. It seems many people who disagree with the editorial are more concerned with ad hominem attacks on the writer instead of actually addressing what he wrote. I'm not sure how his athletic prowess is relevant. I disagree with the main premise that Coach Brown should be fired, but Zeigler did bring up some very good, well-reasoned points. Also, unless the writer purposely fudged facts, I don't see how it matters that HuffPost isn't the most reliable of news sources, this piece was clearly presented as an editorial.

Maybe Ron would just punch a trans/gay like you? After all said person probably "deserved" whatever violence comes his/her way...right? Please note I'm not trying to start a fight I'm simply acknowledging that there are certain people in this world who if given the remotest opportunity would "do away" with anyone they considered to be "undesirable." The taliban is alive and well here although they will never identify themselves as such.

Maybe Ron would just punch a trans/gay like you? After all said person probably "deserved" whatever violence comes his/her way...right? Please note I'm not trying to start a fight I'm simply acknowledging that there are certain people in this world who if given the remotest opportunity would "do away" with anyone they considered to be "undesirable." The taliban is alive and well here although they will never identify themselves as such.

I thought it was pretty obvious I said that in jest. I guess I should have left a sarcasm emoticon. Of course I would never resort to violence in that type of situation. It should go without saying. I'd be really surprised if these Ron Brown quotes I'm referring to were in jest. I think he honestly believes these things. I also think he really means well, and in his mind he's doing/saying what he believes is right. I certainly don't think he intends to be a hateful person, maybe just a little behind the times.

How can anyone ask for a person to be fired for discrimination when said person is expressing his personal religious beliefs. Is it not discrimination to single out a person to be fired based solely on his/her religious beliefs. While I agree some of Coach Ron Brown's statement/beliefs are not my own, I can not fathom a reason why he has done anything that would account for a fireable offense. It actually make me sick the people who make it out like RB is so horrible while the author of the article gets by scot free. Is he not attacking someone based solely on that persons religious beliefs, I think so. While RB's comments may be offensive to some, its obvious that lots of people have lots of opinion/beliefs that are not within today's social norms and that many of those opinions/beliefs are offensive. As long as RB is doing his job up to the standards set forth by the BOT, the Regents, the President, The AD, and the Head Coach then his job should remain safe. If Coach Brown is accused of a firable offense or found to be failing to live up to those standards I will be the first one asking for his resignation/termination. Like it has been said before not one player, coach, recruit or school official has ever once complained about Coach Brown doing his job and doing it with the utmost respect and determination. Just remember that discrimination requires an action. Him stopping someone who wants to play for the team he coaches based on their race/sexual orientation/religion..etc from joining the football team is discrimination. (The next comment is purely sarcastic) Lets all join together and sign a petition to get the HuffPost Author fired for being a discriminator of religious beliefs.

• Fire 1