These people seriously need to just go away...

Bowl Championship Series offers absurd new options

4 hrs ago

72AAC4E20631376805281FFB2921D.jpg

USA Today reports that the Bowl Championship Series is mulling four changes to its widely ridiculed system of selecting a college football champion. They are: a plus-one system, where the two highest-ranked teams at the conclusion of the current bowl season vie for the title; a tweaked version of the current system; a conventional four-team playoff; or a convoluted four-team playoff that would bend over backward to preserve the traditional Pac-12 vs. Big Ten Rose Bowl matchup by adding an extra game. The committee is expected to pick after a series of meetings in June.

The only things we know for certain: People will hate whatever is chosen, and it will be better than what we've got.

They have screwed up the end off what was once the end of the college football season. Why do we continue to listen to anything this band of idiots comes up with? How much do we hve to put up with?

T_O_B

Why is this a bad thing? Any of these would be better than what we currently have, except for the jacked up Rose Bowl preservation plan. That thing has no chance.

A four team playoff with semi's on campus sites and the championship game someplace else would be unquestionably awesome. I would care more about the bowls if Nebraska still had a tie-in to the Orange Bowl, but we don't, so I don't care.

I think we should have a plus one in all sports. Like after the Super Bowl, pick the winner and a team that got upset in the playoffs and have them play or have Kentucky play another basketball team who got beat in the early rounds that should have won......How stupid does that sound.

I know the plus one arguement has been out there for years but somehow it doesn't make sense. Why don't they just do what nearly every other sport does and have a playoff or just forget it so the controvery can continue forever.....

One reason most people like the NCAA March Madness is the chance that it gives 68 teams. That tournament started as the NIT as a 6 team affair and has now expanded to include almost everyone with a decent chance. That being said it would be crazy to have a football tournament that large. The NAIA and NCAA Div 2 currently do a 16 team football bracket that produces a champion.

It would seem that the Bowl system is the large elephant in the room that too many people in power want to retain. Their dilema is to keep the bowls and somehow add a championship playoff to the current system. Someone must be making money off the bowls for the attraction to remain so strong. Universities often claim to loose money on a bowl game (unless it is a BCS Bowl). I know schools like the added practice time a bowl game allows and only allowing the top 16 teams to have the added time would further distance them from the rest of the pack. I don't know if on top of a potential playoff for Division 1, additional bowls could be done for teams not making the playoffs. I also don't know what the potential revenue stream for a playoff would bring into the coffers and if they would make enough to share a stipend with all Div 1 schools. There are lots of questions to be answered and people smarter than me will have to make them.

• 2 weeks later...

I think we should have a plus one in all sports. Like after the Super Bowl, pick the winner and a team that got upset in the playoffs and have them play or have Kentucky play another basketball team who got beat in the early rounds that should have won......How stupid does that sound.

I know the plus one arguement has been out there for years but somehow it doesn't make sense. Why don't they just do what nearly every other sport does and have a playoff or just forget it so the controvery can continue forever.....

the playoffs make the regular season almost pointless. It's always about getting hot at the right moment. Why do you think you see 9-7 teams winning Super Bowls? It's not because they were good throughout the whole season they just came together at the right time. It would make the regular season of college football pointless too in a way. Just win enough games to make it in the playoffs and when you are in you can lose the remainder of the games in the season especially the late ones.

ive never been a huge fan of a playoff, half the time the best team in the land isnt winning the title, like said above its how hott you get at the right time. a college football team with a 8-4 record that wins the nc because of a playoff is not the best team that year. i think the way the BCS is ran is awful and something needs to be changed, i dont know what, but i dont think a playoff is the best way

How else do you do it if not for a playoff? I've said for several years that I thought a 16-team playoff is the best. Without having a situation where you play every other team in the sport, you can't determine the best team, or even the best two, without some playoff system. No way to do it without some element of controversy about not including this team or not including that team. A 16-team playoff gives all conference champs a shot, and leaves room for the five next best. That way, you don't go too far down the list in terms of inclusion. You still need to make sure you win as many games as possible during the regular season, in order to be assured of a playoff spot. But I'm all for the system that starts us down that path, which at this point is the four-team playoff. Do four teams, semis at home sites, neutral site that's bid out. Let the bowls bid for the championship if you want, and have x number on a rotating basis. Keep the bowls as a separate system for those not in the playoff to play in. It gives us a truer sense of a national champion than anything else. The system was a joke this year, and has been for several years, with undefeated teams that don't even get an opportunity to play for the national championship. This year, a team that didn't even qualify for its conference championship game ended up in the title game. Stupidity at its finest, for determining a 'national champion' that in my mind is anything but these days. Give me a playoff, and let it be determined on the field.