Schnellenberger left the Cupboard Bare for Carl Pelini

2012 Florida Atlantic Football: The Bottoming-Out Process

SB Nation By Bill Connelly - NCAA Football Contributor

For more than 50 years, Howard Schnellenberger was The Most Interesting Man In The (College Football) World. But he left the cupboard pretty bare for new coach Carl Pelini. Can the Owls rebound at all this fall, or will it take Pelini and company a couple of years to pick up the pieces in Boca Raton?

LINK STATS

At least Carl can't do much worse than last year's FAU record. 1-11. But he probly can't do much better either.

I think their opening game on August 30, 2014 might be a bit of a problem......IN MEMORIAL STADIUM.

Yeah, that'll be pretty weird for Carl. And a bit painful and humiliating. I hope little brother puts the hurt on Carl's Owls. :lol:

I think their opening game on August 30, 2014 might be a bit of a problem......IN MEMORIAL STADIUM.

Yeah, that'll be pretty weird for Carl. And a bit painful and humiliating. I hope little brother puts the hurt on Carl's Owls. :lol:

I'm betting Bo has mercy on Carl. I doubt we win by more than 3 TDs. 31-10 or something like that, with the backup QB FINALLY getting some reps.

• Fire 1

2012 Florida Atlantic Football: The Bottoming-Out Process

SB Nation By Bill Connelly - NCAA Football Contributor

For more than 50 years, Howard Schnellenberger was The Most Interesting Man In The (College Football) World. But he left the cupboard pretty bare for new coach Carl Pelini. Can the Owls rebound at all this fall, or will it take Pelini and company a couple of years to pick up the pieces in Boca Raton?

LINK STATS

At least Carl can't do much worse than last year's FAU record. 1-11. But he probly can't do much better either.

I've said it before on other Husker sites that Carl is going to have a really tough time turning FAU around-it's going to be nearly impossible. FAU is a nothing school, they are in a non AQ conference, and they are competing against the big three; Florida, Florida State, and Miami for big time recruits. In addition, they're also competing against schools like Central Florida, South Florida and more on their level FIU. That's six schools off the top of my head that they have to compete against for recruits just in the state of Florida. Then throw in all the other southern schools from the SEC and ACC and yeah Carl is pretty much screwed. The only way Carl will survive beyond three years is to play defense well enough to keep them in games until he can recruit some offensive weapons. I like Carl and think he's a tremendous coach, but a school like FAU only gets two kinds of coaches one on his way up or it's the final stop before embarrassing retirement.

I'm betting Bo has mercy on Carl. I doubt we win by more than 3 TDs. 31-10 or something like that, with the backup QB FINALLY getting some reps.

I think the Huskers better show up to show their stuff. These are the "gotcha games" that can cost you a NC before the season really every gets started. They are also the games that they need to dominate in a big way to be ready for the season that is ahead. Taking anyone lightly anymore can be a mistake. And looking at the stats for the past few years for the offense and the defense, they have a ways to go before they can "take a day off".

COLLEGE FOOTBALL'S 10 WORST HEAD COACHES FOR 2012

Whether a college football coach is entering his first season or coming off a national championship, all are under heavy scrutinty. And just like the best coaches in the NCAA, the record isn't always a true indicator of success or bad coaching. As the 2012 season inches closer, Athlon continues its spring preview with a look at the 10 worst coaches in college football. Although some of these coaches are unproven, their resume is unproven and on paper, a bad hire for the program. If we had to make a head coaching hire tomorrow, these 10 coaches would be at the bottom of our list.

College Football’s Top 10 Worst Coaches

florida-atlantic-owls.png1. Carl Pelini, FAU (First Year)

Considering FAU has watched its win total decline in each of the last four seasons, hiring Pelini to rebuild the program is a curious move. Pelini has no head coaching experience on the collegiate level and one has to wonder how much control he had over the defense at Nebraska despite the title of defensive coordinator the last four years. Pelini also has no ties to the Florida area, which is certainly a concern for the Owls in recruiting. Although he has yet to coach a game, it’s hard to find reasons to think Pelini will work out as FAU’s head coach.

http://www.athlonspo...ad-coaches-2012