Quarterback competition?

Haha! :)

There is a backup quarterback, and it is the best situation we have had here in a while (2010 should have been better, I guess, but there seem to be doubts about Lee's health). I'd say it's better than a great number of teams in the NCAA have got. Brion walked onto campus as the 2nd best passer on the team, in the days when we still had the technically proficient Lee, and the negativity about him has been rare. He has skills and athleticism and he's shone at times, struggled at others. What more can you ask for from a redshirt sophomore with almost no true experience under his belt?

Unless everyone is taking the stuff in the OP of this post at face value, which is ludicrous considering how much skepticism the similarly grapevine, but positive buzz about Brion especially in scrimmages last offseason has been met with. And if Brion doesn't end up putting it all together, walking onto campus now is Tommy Armstrong, who by all accounts is Brion 2.0, possibly with more upside as a passer.

For what it's worth I agree with Big Ern. This is Taylor's team and unless he falls apart and loses the job he isn't going to be challenged.

I don't know how good this roommate friend is at talent evaluation although I read someone who does attend practices regularly say that Carnes isn't getting a serious look. Maybe that is what your roommate is seeing, but his comment had more to do with Taylor's stranglehold on QB1 than it does with Brion. We're at the time of year that every other spot on the team should be up for grabs. Or maybe both of them are off base.

So zoogies, you say Brion walked on to campus as the 2nd best passer on the team. Ok, based on what?

Secondly, "somebody" who says on the ultra-reliable internet that "Carnes isn't getting a serious look". Once again, that's what your concrete evidence is?

Hey, I thought we were accepting of guys on message boards now. You seem to be! Some guy on the ultra reliable internet says Cody dissed NU privately, and you don't even question that before repeating it as fact.

On Brion being the 2nd best passer, that is simple, it's the kind of player he is, a guy who has some athleticism but is a good passer. As opposed to a guy with physical stature and speed but is otherwise raw and a project (sophomore Cody, RFr Taylor). Those were the guys he was up against. Just go and watch their HS film. It doesn't mean he knew the offense (hell, he was a true freshman, so he didn't know the offense) or can run it, we're talking strictly on his abilities making the throws. Uhh, it's pretty much the same kind of positive buzz that we have going on about Tommy Armstrong right now.

It takes a lot more than being able to make the throws (Harrison Beck had great fundamentals, look where that got him! There was one coach at a big-time school that talked about watching one out pattern he threw and knowing then that the guy was worthy of an offer....) so I don't know why you feel threatened by the idea that this is something Brion is pretty sharp at!

Last, I don't know why you would be reluctant to accept that Taylor has a firm grasp on the starting position. Says something about Taylor, or it should, right?

You gotta remember that Taylor is also a work in process. Its hard to develop 2 QBS at the same time. Taylor needs every snap for his own growth and experience, as does Brion. If your "pretty sure" that Taylor is going to be running the show for the next few years you have to work on him first and get him as many snaps as possible. Its a tough situation for the coaches trying to develop 2 QBS at once. One apparently cant read defenses, and the other has big mechanical flaws, both trying to learn a new offense, with a new OC that isnt sure what he is trying to do either.

Riding Rex on the other hand probably could have been prevented, but at the same time Green got pounded when he tried to run between the tackles and AA had ball secrurity issues. We are not at practice and it very well could have been alot worse in practice, but from the little we saw them in the game Green couldnt run between the tackles and when he did he got hit pretty hard, thus he always tried to bounce everything outside, and AA had fumble problems...fumbles 1out of 8 touches. Obviously they didnt trust either of them.

This year in year 2 of the offense with Taylor improving in knowledge and mechanics and the Soph backs with a year under their belt and are bigger and stronger, i think it will probably go back to building some depth at RB and QB, last year was just a unique learning year for the offense and the only for sure thing we had was REX. All other positions rotated guys in and out and i think for the most part we have a good experienced 2 deep rotation at most positions.

Hey, I thought we were accepting of guys on message boards now. You seem to be! Some guy on the ultra reliable internet says Cody dissed NU privately, and you don't even question that before repeating it as fact.

On Brion being the 2nd best passer, that is simple, it's the kind of player he is, a guy who has some athleticism but is a good passer. As opposed to a guy with physical stature and speed but is otherwise raw and a project (sophomore Cody, RFr Taylor). Those were the guys he was up against. Just go and watch their HS film. It doesn't mean he knew the offense (hell, he was a true freshman, so he didn't know the offense) or can run it, we're talking strictly on his abilities making the throws. Uhh, it's pretty much the same kind of positive buzz that we have going on about Tommy Armstrong right now.

It takes a lot more than being able to make the throws (Harrison Beck had great fundamentals, look where that got him! There was one coach at a big-time school that talked about watching one out pattern he threw and knowing then that the guy was worthy of an offer....) so I don't know why you feel threatened by the idea that this is something Brion is pretty sharp at!

Last, I don't know why you would be reluctant to accept that Taylor has a firm grasp on the starting position. Says something about Taylor, or it should, right?

Jeesh, zoogies.....c'mon, "threatened"?? "Reluctant to accept Tmart has a firm grasp on the starting position"??

Ha....ok, my old friend, you win!