Quarterback competition?

you guys might be surprised. Kellog has not passed Carnes but it is getting closer and closer. if it keeps up and coaches play the best player then kellog may just be numero dos. and no im not giving you any sources.

according to many here, he doesn't fit Beck's system, so how can he be #2?

Unless Martinez gets hurt no one is going to get snaps. Discussion over

Honestly, the most accurate post I have read in quite some time. So far, Bo has shown a desire or predisposition to not have anyone, but the starters take meaningful snaps.

Huh? I have to disagree. When we aren't playing close games, we play backups. Problem is, we haven't had alot of blowout wins. Carnes played in every blowout win, a whopping 3 games. He also had a very basic grasp of the offense, and the coaches weren't comfortable throwing him into the fire ala beau davis. We play the backups, when we actually have comparable depth.

Who is Martinez's back up? If the chips are down, it is probably Rex. Year three as a starter and we still have no one who has separated himself into the #2 roll. Does this mean we have recruited non factors, the kid isn't coming along or the kid hasn't gotten any real live reps or a lot of time in practice. Same with replacing Caputo. Who has taken any meaningful snaps in games? Has anyone really seperated themselves into the clear heir to the spot.

We can blame it on lack of depth or lack of development, but regardless of the reasoning, it is hard for me to say that we are really getting developed depth. Last years defensive melt down helped in this regard. Injuries and shuffling got a lot of guys playing time ie Green, Evans, SJB, etc Same with the D line and LB's. Injuries on the O line helped as well. We should see some of this paying off.

As the article referenced above, Garrison is developing the depth in practice by having guys get longer series and running several stations to get the most reps/guy as they can. Unsure if this is happening at all positions, but it should.

I think it is a cop out to blame lack of playing time being dependent on blow out wins. Even in those (non-conference) or blow out losses very seldom did we deviate from the starters. If not in games, develop it in practice.

Same things with the RB's last year. No one really separated themselves until later in the season (AA). Hard to do this if you get no playing time or not a lot of practice time to learn the system (Disclaimer, no I am not at practice, no I am not in the meetings and lastly Bo and I do not tweet ideas to one another).

Ultimately, IMO, it comes down to coaching and use of available methods. If the "kid can't grasp the system" it either means the staff missed on a recruit or is having trouble translating it from practice to the field. In the business world the boss gets the boot, not the worker on the line. NOT SAYING FIRE BO. I LIKE HIM. Just an example that regardless of the players, decisions, wins or losses always rest with the coach.

Honestly, the most accurate post I have read in quite some time. So far, Bo has shown a desire or predisposition to not have anyone, but the starters take meaningful snaps.

Huh? I have to disagree. When we aren't playing close games, we play backups. Problem is, we haven't had alot of blowout wins. Carnes played in every blowout win, a whopping 3 games. He also had a very basic grasp of the offense, and the coaches weren't comfortable throwing him into the fire ala beau davis. We play the backups, when we actually have comparable depth.

Who is Martinez's back up? If the chips are down, it is probably Rex. Year three as a starter and we still have no one who has separated himself into the #2 roll. Does this mean we have recruited non factors, the kid isn't coming along or the kid hasn't gotten any real live reps or a lot of time in practice. Same with replacing Caputo. Who has taken any meaningful snaps in games? Has anyone really seperated themselves into the clear heir to the spot.

We can blame it on lack of depth or lack of development, but regardless of the reasoning, it is hard for me to say that we are really getting developed depth. Last years defensive melt down helped in this regard. Injuries and shuffling got a lot of guys playing time ie Green, Evans, SJB, etc Same with the D line and LB's. Injuries on the O line helped as well. We should see some of this paying off.

As the article referenced above, Garrison is developing the depth in practice by having guys get longer series and running several stations to get the most reps/guy as they can. Unsure if this is happening at all positions, but it should.

I think it is a cop out to blame lack of playing time being dependent on blow out wins. Even in those (non-conference) or blow out losses very seldom did we deviate from the starters. If not in games, develop it in practice.

Same things with the RB's last year. No one really separated themselves until later in the season (AA). Hard to do this if you get no playing time or not a lot of practice time to learn the system (Disclaimer, no I am not at practice, no I am not in the meetings and lastly Bo and I do not tweet ideas to one another).

Ultimately, IMO, it comes down to coaching and use of available methods. If the "kid can't grasp the system" it either means the staff missed on a recruit or is having trouble translating it from practice to the field. In the business world the boss gets the boot, not the worker on the line. NOT SAYING FIRE BO. I LIKE HIM. Just an example that regardless of the players, decisions, wins or losses always rest with the coach.

Regarding last year at QB, we had zero depth. In 2010 when we had depth, Both lee and green played a good amount. Both lee and Green also got hurt, forcing TM to play injured. Green didn't like the offense and left. So, our #2 left. Carnes would have been a #3.

The facts are, we play guys where we have legitimate depth. Go look at the participation charts and watch some tape.

Regarding last year at QB, we had zero depth. In 2010 when we had depth, Both lee and green played a good amount. Both lee and Green also got hurt, forcing TM to play injured. Green didn't like the offense and left. So, our #2 left. Carnes would have been a #3.

The facts are, we play guys where we have legitimate depth. Go look at the participation charts and watch some tape.

Yep.

Green got a vicious head concussion & Lee could barely lift his arm. That's why we saw Tmart, who could barely walk, in the game. There was no magical fix for that.

we don't develop legtimate depth!.......we are horrible at doing this, period!

If Carnes loses the #2 spot to Clark Kellogg it may be time for him to start looking for a new school or a new position. I mean how hard can it be? I bet Carl could use a quaterback down in Florida.

Don't think he would end up playing for Carl, but if Carnes isn't at least #2, I would no be surprised to see him looking to transfer out. Who ever the #2 is, I hope they get more playing time than anyone other than Martinez got last season. I don't like living on the edge of a razor, hoping your starter don't go down because there is nobody with experience behind him. And that is where we have been the last few years. Sooner or later it is coming back to bite us hard.

We had a very peculiar quarterback situation the last few years. In 2009, Lee got hurt and Green wasn't really ready to play QB. In 2010, Martinez got hurt, it was said Lee was still hurt, Green got a concussion/never really played well, and so we had to play Martinez. In 2011, we had very few blow out victories or opportunities for Carnes to come in and see some playing time.

Again, however, people need to realize that this isn't exclusive to Nebraska. There are many teams out there that only play their starter for most of the game because most games come down to the final quarter of play. Should Carnes have seen some playing time in the last few minutes of games? Sure - I can see an argument for that. But if the game was within a couple of scores, it is NOT uncommon for people to keep their starter in.

Besides, our situation isn't that terrible. We have Martinez, Carnes (who, by all accounts, seems to be getting better and better), Kellogg and we got Tommy Armstrong. Isn't Marsh also in the mix there? Be glad we aren't Wisconsin, who - for the last two years in a row - has had to get a transfer player to come in and play for them because their quarterbacks are so young and inexperienced. I would much rather be in our position than in Wisconsin's.

Really? Because the participation charts and the actual game tape says otherwise. Other than LB and QB, we play a good amount of guys. Do you have any evidence that disputes this?

well, let's see........ Rex is the only proven RB, and TM is the only proven QB........and they both play hurt and beat up, because even in that condition, they are better than their backups.......so much for player develoment at key positions.

Really? Because the participation charts and the actual game tape says otherwise. Other than LB and QB, we play a good amount of guys. Do you have any evidence that disputes this?

well, let's see........ Rex is the only proven RB, and TM is the only proven QB........and they both play hurt and beat up, because even in that condition, they are better than their backups.......so much for player develoment at key positions.

We were 3 deep at QB to start 2010. In 2010, we also had the best 1-2 punch at RB in the Big 12. As for playing hurt, both Lee and Green were hurt in 2010. Cody green left last year, making the true #3 (Carnes) the number 2. Taking 2 positions, only in 2011, and applying the "proven" depth to the entiriety of the team under Pelini is asinine.

Also, define "proven."

I'd say 2010 had Rex as an excellent backup rb behind Roy. Green/Lee both got hurt badly.....how many other teams have four or more quality qbs ready to go?

2011 was all on Rex/Tmart as none of the triplets emerged big-time and there were very few blow out wins to experiment with. Very, very good chance we'll see more backup play this year due to Carnes/Green/etc having a year under their belt.

you guys might be surprised. Kellog has not passed Carnes but it is getting closer and closer. if it keeps up and coaches play the best player then kellog may just be numero dos. and no im not giving you any sources.

according to many here, he doesn't fit Beck's system, so how can he be #2?

who here actually knows what Beck's system is?