Quarterback competition?

Unless Martinez gets hurt no one is going to get snaps. Discussion over

Honestly, the most accurate post I have read in quite some time. So far, Bo has shown a desire or predisposition to not have anyone, but the starters take meaningful snaps.

I liked an article about our O line developing depth by having the guys run 8-9 plays and then bring in the 2's. Garrison said their old way (3 plays and switch) developed a 3 and out mentality on O and also did not get the guys in "game shape" to run a significant number of plays full speed in a real game. He said this will improve their game conditioning.

We need to desperately get a bona fide #2 who can

a) push Martinez

b) give a change of pace if the D is teeing off on Martinez

c) have a guy ready if Martinez gets hurt who can actually come in and play at a high level with the same knowledge of the O as Martinez

d) have a guy who the coaches can come in who they feel can play to win as opposed to sending in a guy whom the staff has play to not lose

I could care less if the #2 is RKIII, Carnes, Armstrong or anyone so long as this guy is capable of winning.

I thought that was Joseph who started doing it with his group, don't recall reading Garrison was doing it also. If so, I like the change.

Honestly, the most accurate post I have read in quite some time. So far, Bo has shown a desire or predisposition to not have anyone, but the starters take meaningful snaps.

I liked an article about our O line developing depth by having the guys run 8-9 plays and then bring in the 2's. Garrison said their old way (3 plays and switch) developed a 3 and out mentality on O and also did not get the guys in "game shape" to run a significant number of plays full speed in a real game. He said this will improve their game conditioning.

a) push Martinez

c) have a guy ready if Martinez gets hurt who can actually come in and play at a high level with the same knowledge of the O as Martinez

d) have a guy who the coaches can come in who they feel can play to win as opposed to sending in a guy whom the staff has play to not lose

I could care less if the #2 is RKIII, Carnes, Armstrong or anyone so long as this guy is capable of winning.

I thought that was Joseph who started doing it with his group, don't recall reading Garrison was doing it also. If so, I like the change.

IIRC Brown started it with his guys and it is getting used by others. I think Brown was also given credit for starting the "ram" drill initially with the TE's and WR's. I will try and find the article and post a link.

Here is the link. Says Brown authored the drill so unsure if he started or copied the drill.

http://www.omaha.com/article/20120406/BIGRED/704069878

Martinez, Carnes, RK3...Armstrong should 100% redshirt. I'm fine with not playing a backup QB, but when things are going terrible and you give someone a chance to turn it around and they aren't, you gotta put someone else in. Member Martinez was 50% 2 years ago and he was hobbling around, but we still played him? Would have been better off putting a walk on in at that point. He has some questionable decisions on guys who I feel should have played more.

Point being Martinez 100% can't be a game manager for us to win the Big 10 title, that's not his game... UNLEASH!

a) push Martinez

I like this post except for the first line. I see people say this, and it couldn't be further from the truth. Everybody looks at the skill position guys and says "Pelini doesn't give people meaningful snaps to anybody but the starters." This is a very narrow point of view and a little naive.

Pelini has his starters take the most meaningful snaps - newsflash, every head coach does this. You want the back-ups getting meaningful snaps? Fine. Get the guys to be up 40-10 at half like it's 1995 again.

I watch a lot of college football, and Pelini does very little different from most of the other coaches I watch. Your starters get the snaps at skill positions save a few breathing spots, and then you rotate bodies on the line (which, Pelini has actually done a lot of this).

• Fire 1

you guys might be surprised. Kellog has not passed Carnes but it is getting closer and closer. if it keeps up and coaches play the best player then kellog may just be numero dos. and no im not giving you any sources.

Ummm that was actually mentioned in an article from the World Hearld and linked here............ :dunno

Huh? I have to disagree. When we aren't playing close games, we play backups. Problem is, we haven't had alot of blowout wins. Carnes played in every blowout win, a whopping 3 games. He also had a very basic grasp of the offense, and the coaches weren't comfortable throwing him into the fire ala beau davis. We play the backups, when we actually have comparable depth.