Pelini quoted in ESPN article

http://espn.go.com/c...ode-friend-says

Nebraska coach Bo Pelini, speaking in general terms about how coaches must behave, said Saturday he talks to his players often about holding themselves to higher standards. He said both players and coaches must be "guarded at all times" and aware they are under the microscope.

"Like it or not, that's what you signed up for and that's your responsibility," Pelini said. "You're responsible to people way beyond just you -- first and foremost your family, the athletic department, the football team, the players, your staff, everybody you're associated with."

Pelini said he keeps that thought in mind anytime he's in public.

"Your reputation is your greatest asset," Pelini said. "You better protect it at all times.

This is interesting....

On the surface I didn't find anything wrong with what Bo said. Then I read the article. Now I'm wondering, what? why is Bo being quoted or interviewed here? Are his quotes being taken out of context? It is said he said these things "Saturday", but in response to what?

I feel like this article paints Bo in a bad light. It makes it sound like he's getting up to send some snooty criticisms at Coach Petrino while he's down, but that doesn't seem like Bo at all. I would guess it was someone asking specifically about the situation of our team, and our staff -- and that's why it's like Bo is talking about himself and answering questions about Texas A&M.

Otherwise, everybody else mentioned in this article actually logically belongs there. They're all relevant people, directly or second-hand, and then you have a HC from a different conference getting four paragraph blocks on how coaches should behave.

This is interesting....

On the surface I didn't find anything wrong with what Bo said. Then I read the article. Now I'm wondering, what? why is Bo being quoted or interviewed here? Are his quotes being taken out of context? It is said he said these things "Saturday", but in response to what?

I feel like this article paints Bo in a bad light. It makes it sound like he's getting up to send some snooty criticisms at Coach Petrino while he's down, but that doesn't seem like Bo at all. I would guess it was someone asking specifically about the situation of our team, and our staff -- and that's why it's like Bo is talking about himself and answering questions about Texas A&M.

Otherwise, everybody else mentioned in this article actually logically belongs there. They're all relevant people, directly or second-hand, and then you have a HC from a different conference getting four paragraph blocks on how coaches should behave.

I'm not surprised Bo was asked about it, or at the answer he gave, but I too am a little surprised it was used for this article. What I wonder is, did Joe Shad ask him, or was it a quote from a different interview?

Zoogies,

The article says, "Bo Pelini , speaking in general terms..." To me, that lets the reader know that Pelini wasn't speaking about Petrino but it was a piece of a conversation that relates to the Petrino situation.

What I find more interesting is that ESPN is quoting Pelini on how coaches should act.

(edit: Personally I think Pelini is great for the program and his players; I love his attitude on the sidelines. I just thought it was a little funny that ESPN, who shows the "meltdowns" whenever they could, would change their tone. I think it is a good thing.)

shoot, any time bo has the opportunity to scrub his image a little bit, i'm all for it.

some people may see him quoted here and ask, "what the hell does this madman know about 'image?"

then, maybe they do a little background check of their own and realize while heated, bo or his program don't have any glaring (notice i didn't say ZERO) issues like Penn st, ARK, tOSU, Bama, etc...

it can give him an opportunity for people to see that he cares about his image and he recognizes he's the face of the program.

Bo's image is great- he cares about his players education and well being (sometimes detrimental to the team- keeping non-contributers that an ahole like Saben would run off)- don't compare his actions to those of his brothers', from the rumblings I've heard Bo was a ok with Carl leaving, and he might have encouraged it.

The yelling stuff is just what people who've never played the game, or wear lacey undergarments like to talk about when they're not watching the View.

That makes me even more proud to call Bo our head football coach. Some people don't believe Petrino's actions off the field should have any consequences of his job, but I believe it does. With Bo rattling off those quotes and being protective of his image is important, it sells us in a better light. On the football field, he can be a "madman", although I don't think he is, but he tells parents and recruits up-front what they are expected to get in return.

That's the best part about all of it. Bo is up-front, will hold guys accountable, but at the end of the day he loves his team and wants them to be better than they are. It's all about the "process" as he says and this clearly is an example of more than "just an athlete" or more than "just a football coach." Like it or not, he is the program and he is the University, and he is putting us in a good light with this quote.

I do find it odd he was questioned about it. Maybe it's from an older interview, or maybe they thought of asking him because he is so "radical" on the field, they wanted to get a quote that might make him look like that but he delieved some good ones we should all live by.

Truly the Nebraska way.