My wife and I both believe that there's no such thing as a soul for any animals, humans included. Our kids are both under 3 and luckily the topic hasn't really presented itself yet, but our approach is that when things die, they're gone forever and we'll never experience those consciousnesses that we knew as "grandpa" or "cousin Joey" or "Rover" ever again except in our memories. Life is fleeting, and we have to make the most of the time we have. Given how exceedingly rare complex life is likely to be within our universe, we must treat our opportunity to live as the unique treasure that it is because when it's gone, it's gone.

Well that's a pretty depressing way of looking at things. So when you die, things just go dark?... Just wondering.

In response to the original question, I have no idea. We will all find out someday.

I don't find it depressing at all. My belief focuses my attention on the here and now, making the best of whatever time I have rather than some imaginary future after I'm dead and gone. Carl Sagan said it best, I think: “For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.”

As for your question, my awareness of anything ends when I die. Going dark is as good a description as any, I guess. Do you remember any perceptions of existence before you existed? I imagine it will be a lot like that.

• Fire 1

My wife and I both believe that there's no such thing as a soul for any animals, humans included. Our kids are both under 3 and luckily the topic hasn't really presented itself yet, but our approach is that when things die, they're gone forever and we'll never experience those consciousnesses that we knew as "grandpa" or "cousin Joey" or "Rover" ever again except in our memories. Life is fleeting, and we have to make the most of the time we have. Given how exceedingly rare complex life is likely to be within our universe, we must treat our opportunity to live as the unique treasure that it is because when it's gone, it's gone.

Well that's a pretty depressing way of looking at things. So when you die, things just go dark?... Just wondering.

In response to the original question, I have no idea. We will all find out someday.

I don't find it depressing at all. My belief focuses my attention on the here and now, making the best of whatever time I have rather than some imaginary future after I'm dead and gone. Carl Sagan said it best, I think: “For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.”

As for your question, my awareness of anything ends when I die. Going dark is as good a description as any, I guess. Do you remember any perceptions of existence before you existed? I imagine it will be a lot like that.

So do you believe in reincarnation then? Just curious

I don't find anything particularly depressing about what bhamHusker said either. I think people trying to live for the future are wasting their time living in the here and now. They are constantly trying to do things to make their future better that they often forget to sit back and make the most out of what is in front of you NOW.

There is a fitting song by Billy Joel that I go to whenever I feel rushed:

Where's the fire, what's the hurry about?

You'd better cool it off before you burn it out.

You've got so much to do and

Only so many hours in a day.

But you know that when the truth is told...

That you can get what you want or you can just get old

You're gonna kick off before you even

Get halfway through...

...Slow down, you're doing fine

You can't be everything you want to be

Before your time...

...Too bad but it's the life you lead

You're so ahead of yourself that you forgot what you need...

As for the question asked by the OP, I really don't think a soul exists in any organism. "Soul" is a construct, it is unmeasureable and is an idea thought up of by humanity. Not something we're all born innately with, like a brain or a heart. I'd say do whatever your spirituality and your feelings tell you to do.

No, I believe that this life is all we get. Reincarnation would presumably be dependent on a soul that transcends our earthly existence, and I've already stated I don't believe souls exist. I assume you're wondering because I asked if you remember anything from before you existed. That was a rhetorical question as there's nothing to remember. There was no "you" or "me" before we existed, just as there's nothing after our lives end.

No, I believe that this life is all we get. Reincarnation would presumably be dependent on a soul that transcends our earthly existence, and I've already stated I don't believe souls exist. I assume you're wondering because I asked if you remember anything from before you existed. That was a rhetorical question as there's nothing to remember. There was no "you" or "me" before we existed, just as there's nothing after our lives end.

Nothing besides the memories you leave in those still living.

Okay, that's fair enough. I can't say that I agree with you, but you don't have to. To me, simply supernatural occurrences and hauntings (whether friendly or not) are enough evidence to tell me that there is something more after we die. But then again, not everybody believes in hauntings or "ghosts" either.

It's worth being sad for a small period of time in order to be have years and years of happy memories of your dog being with you.

Sorry to hear about your dog. My dog's name is Husker too. A stupid black lab who is my first dog (as an adult)...and I'll miss that mutt when he dies. But I'm glad he's around to help brighten my day now. And the memories of him that live on will be more important to me than any concept of a soul could.

Thanks for the input, everyone--I do appreciate it. (save for the Huskerpedia-esque cracks about selling souls for NCs--that kind of s**t is something people accuse vermin like Texass of doing for Big XII titles that don't belong to them, not Nebraska). I think right now we're sticking with the 'heaven' bit for my 4 year old, but we'll probably revisit the issue in a bit when the emotional wounds aren't quite so raw and explain things with a bit more finality to them.

On a side note, Texas 'soil' (read: clay--no real soil to speak of) is a mother*****r to dig through, especially when it's wet. Not looking forward to digging the hole for the new tree we're going to plant beside his grave in the backyard.

Sorry to hear about your dog. My dog's name is Husker too. A stupid black lab who is my first dog (as an adult)...and I'll miss that mutt when he dies. But I'm glad he's around to help brighten my day now. And the memories of him that live on will be more important to me than any concept of a soul could.

Thanks Benny. I agree that, regardless of the answer, there are memories that are precious to our family that we do not want to forget.

I don't find anything particularly depressing about what bhamHusker said either. I think people trying to live for the future are wasting their time living in the here and now. They are constantly trying to do things to make their future better that they often forget to sit back and make the most out of what is in front of you NOW.

There is a fitting song by Billy Joel that I go to whenever I feel rushed:

Where's the fire, what's the hurry about?

You'd better cool it off before you burn it out.

You've got so much to do and

Only so many hours in a day.

But you know that when the truth is told...

That you can get what you want or you can just get old

You're gonna kick off before you even

Get halfway through...

...Slow down, you're doing fine

You can't be everything you want to be

Before your time...

...Too bad but it's the life you lead

You're so ahead of yourself that you forgot what you need...

As for the question asked by the OP, I really don't think a soul exists in any organism. "Soul" is a construct, it is unmeasureable and is an idea thought up of by humanity. Not something we're all born innately with, like a brain or a heart. I'd say do whatever your spirituality and your feelings tell you to do.

The notion of whether bhamHuskers view on the afterlife/lack of afterlife is depressing or not --- as interesting as it is to discuss, I suppose --- is not really the point. the question is whether the perspective is reflective of reality or not. Sagan seems to be on the money when he said that “For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.”

So, objectively speaking, evaluating the data & taking into consideration that perspective against competing perspectives in view of the data... is the view posited rational and reflective of reality? Whether it is a depressing or a satisfying perspective is, essentially, irrelevent.

And... for what it is worth.... place me in the camp that says animals have no soul.

And... Husker is a nice name for a dog.

why is that depressing? it makes this waking life so much more splendid and valuable. also, you lead a good life and then when you pass you get to enjoy the most peaceful, dreamless sleep. nothing to regret or stress about, just as before you were born. i find this way of thinking extremely exciting and liberating. make the most of this life, enjoy it, find what happiness is to you, create your own value system and live by it, and when you pass, you pass. finality is not scary, eternity is.

why is that depressing? it makes this waking life so much more splendid and valuable. also, you lead a good life and then when you pass you get to enjoy the most peaceful, dreamless sleep. nothing to regret or stress about, just as before you were born. i find this way of thinking extremely exciting and liberating. make the most of this life, enjoy it, find what happiness is to you, create your own value system and live by it, and when you pass, you pass. finality is not scary, eternity is.

Depends on what you imagine eternity to be, I guess...