Pelini given a 1 year contract extension

my only comment is it would seem unnecessary to give a one year extentsion at this point.......just look at the conroversy over this, hardly worth what he got IMHO.

Just because a few people go full retard, doesn't make it a controversy.

i just don't see how 1 more year at this point really matters..........not for, not against it.........just unnecessary, but easier than promising him even more money.

my only comment is it would seem unnecessary to give a one year extentsion at this point.......just look at the conroversy over this, hardly worth what he got IMHO.

You mean the artificial, unnecessary, overblown controversy?

yes, it matches the the artificial, unnecessary, overblown 1 year extension.

1 year extension is a pretty minimal risk for the school to take, while ostensibly increasing the coach's job security (at a time where there has been some fan dissatisfaction and feeling that this will be a prove-it year for Bo). Extensions are often criticized but it's a show of support that is often necessary. Buyouts are something the school can always afford, but first the school neds to give its coach the best shot at recruiting and winning by not making it look like he is on the hot seat all the time.

You're spending an awful lot of time bitching about this for someone who is "not against it."

really, Knapp?????? i mean really?......... i make one comment, 2 responses and you want to argue about this? you have a problem.............

Oh, you've made far, far more than one comment about Pelini, Hunter. If anyone has a problem, it's the man in your mirror.

You can't compare him to us regular working schlubs, though. You have to compare him to his contemporaries - other coaches in D1. Among those he's one of what? six? eight? coaches to win nine or more games each of the last four years?

I agree w/ this, but everyone going back to the 9 win thing again gets tiresome. (who are the other 7 by the way - i can't seem to find the article - nick saban, chris peterson, gary patterson are the three that jump out. maybe beemer?)

What gets me about the 9 win thing is that it implies he's a top tier coach, because he's in this elite group of 8 guys. Is he better than Urban Meyer, Les Miles, Bob Stoops, Bret Bielema, Chip Kelly, Mack Brown? I don't believe any of them would make that list...so Bo should beat them every time, I'd have to say he isn't and he doesn't win those games. He's a #20-#25ish coach with #14ish pay. Not exactly a huge gap there. But I can't say he's done anything to warrant a 5 year cushion either.

The way we pay college coaches today - the pay doesn't motivate them in any way. Bo doesn't need to win to earn more, and now he doesn't need to win to continue making that salary for the next 5 years. It would be nice if we'd say "hey, you're doing a great job...but if you want that extension you're going to have to accomplish some of your goals"

I guess his performance bonuses are supposed to motivate him. I'd be pretty happy make X-number hundred thousand dollars if I won a conference championship, but I guess if I'm making $3 million already and I don't get the bonus.... c'est la vie. It's not the end of the world, especially living off that salary in Lincoln, NE.

I'm with you on the "hasn't earned it" talk. Upper-mediocre results year in and year out aren't terrible, but they're not inspiring, either. Even with Bo being a first-time head coach, I was expecting US to be better by this point.

Very well said. He will have a team full of just his recruits for the first time this year. Let's see what he has for at least the next two years and then revisit if he's the man for the job or not. IMO all coaches need at least 6 years to see if they are the right man for the job or now. It isn't fair to fire someone for on the field results in any less time than that because they wouldn't have a chance to field a team with their own recruits.

As for the extention, it is no big deal because I'm sure he has the same 250K buyout per year left on his contract so it's not like it would be like firing Doc. It was another good will gesture by TO and the department, nothing more.

Meh I could care less frankly. I'm not impressed with Bo nor his elitist my dad can beat up your dad attitude to the fans and the media either. As for "we could still have Callahan", at least if we did we'd have an offense.

....and at least have losing seasons, the worst blowout losses in the history of NU cfb "and" an offense that was only effective vs creampuffs. But one must admit our offense under Clownahan was unstoppable at garbage time (lots of practice at it).

Naw we had a good offense you homers just refuse to admit it. The problem was it didnt matter if we scored 1000 points our defense let the other team score 2000. But I'm not in the business of convincing koolaid drinkers Callahan wasn't the devil himself in sheeps clothing you all try to portray him as.

You're spending an awful lot of time bitching about this for someone who is "not against it."

really, Knapp?????? i mean really?......... i make one comment, 2 responses and you want to argue about this? you have a problem.............

Oh, you've made far, far more than one comment about Pelini, Hunter. If anyone has a problem, it's the man in your mirror.

Ladies, can't we all just get along? :)

I think anybody that's predicting Bo has 'only 2 more years' isn't looking rationally at the situation. He's won 9 games in every season he's been here, and you think 2 years will be enough to see him gone? Not seeing that. The fact that this next year will be his first with just his recruits (and even then, I'm not sure you can say that, considering he had so little recruiting time the year Callahan got fired). My guess is this... that whoever the next AD will be will likely be partially picked on their ability to get along with Bo. I think Bo will be given a pretty long leash here in terms of performance. We'd have to see MAJOR steps backwards at this point not to continue with Bo. Are we back to mid-90s form? No. But TO didn't have mid-90s form until 20 years into his tenure here. It took the right combo of players and staff to get there. I have faith that Bo will continue to tweak and get us there. I'm more than willing to continue to give him 1 year extensions if he continues to show that he can win 9 games a season and at least put us in contention for Legends division and B1G championships. To me, he's already shown they can be competitive. Now it's getting over that next hump.

Meh I could care less frankly. I'm not impressed with Bo nor his elitist my dad can beat up your dad attitude to the fans and the media either. As for "we could still have Callahan", at least if we did we'd have an offense.

....and at least have losing seasons, the worst blowout losses in the history of NU cfb "and" an offense that was only effective vs creampuffs. But one must admit our offense under Clownahan was unstoppable at garbage time (lots of practice at it).

Naw we had a good offense you homers just refuse to admit it. The problem was it didnt matter if we scored 1000 points our defense let the other team score 2000. But I'm not in the business of convincing koolaid drinkers Callahan wasn't the devil himself in sheeps clothing you all try to portray him as.

You mean the offense that only scored ten points until we were down 5 touchdowns at home against USC?

The offense that didn't scored 6 points against Missouri?

The offense that didn't score until the 4th quarter (down by 38 points) against Oklahoma State, at home, during Homecoming?

Yeah, it was amazing.

You mean the offense that only scored ten points until we were down 5 touchdowns at home against USC?

The offense that didn't scored 6 points against Missouri?

The offense that didn't score until the 4th quarter (down by 38 points) against Oklahoma State, at home, during Homecoming?

Yeah, it was amazing.

I'm not defending Callahan or saying his offenses were better, but Bo's had offenses just as bad, if not worse. His best offense was 2008 when he stayed the hell out of it and left Watson to run the show on the tale of Callahan's game plans/scheme.

Callahan was frequently playing from behind 5 minutes into the game (maybe a little exaggeration). Bo had 2009 in which the offense didn't have to do anything...didn't have any pressure on it at all and we couldn't score on V.Tech, or Iowa State, or Texas. Likewise the following year against South Dakota St, or A&M, or Washington 2.0. It's getting better, something Callahan couldn't seem to do with the defense. Unfortunately at the same time our offense is finally getting better - our defense is going to crap. I hope we aren't just going back and forth for the next decade.