Pelini given a 1 year contract extension

I find all this angst hilarious. I agree with TOB. Most teams would give almost anything to have the consistency in winning we've had since Bo took over, and yet all people can say is... 'hasn't won a championship'... 'hasn't won 11 games'... etc. Know who else hadn't won that in a similar timeframe here? Oh, I don't know... try Bob Devaney and Tom Osborne? Good freaking grief. Give the guy some credit for what he's done, and look at the fact that he's been trying to improve his recruiting efforts with some of the assistants he's been bringing in. Glad TO took the step, and can't wait to see what the team has in store this year! Looks like a promising year.

Everybody forgets that if we fired him and hired another guy he probably wouldnt live up to standards either. Are standards are way to high.

DUN. Too many are still trying to live in the 90's. News for you, THAT'S NEVER HAPPENING AGAIN. Not just here, but anywhere

Not happening we had probably the secound or third best coach of all time that may not happen ever again. If it did Bama is where it would be at.

I'm not sure what the point is. Schools fire coaches with time left on their contracts all the time, we just did it four years ago. I don't think it's as important to recruiting as it's made out to be.

Please for the sake of all Husker fans dont even begin to compare Pelini and Ca Ca Ca Ca Calihan.

he wasn't, u are. and we just did it a few weeks ago. and we'd do it again if Pelini went 5-7 this year.

-.-

I'm not sure what the point is. Schools fire coaches with time left on their contracts all the time, we just did it four years ago. I don't think it's as important to recruiting as it's made out to be.

Please for the sake of all Husker fans dont even begin to compare Pelini and Ca Ca Ca Ca Calihan.

he wasn't, u are. and we just did it a few weeks ago. and we'd do it again if Pelini went 5-7 this year.

-.-

confused.jpg

some of you are beyond spoiled. actually do some research and look at what other schools and coaches are doing before making some of these ridiculous statements.

AND IF THE TEAM DOESNT HAVE HIGH EXPECTATIONS THEN WHY THE HELL ARE WE EVEN WATCHING THEM? have some of you even played football in your lives? if you dont go into every season thinking you are going to win them all then please quit the team now so we can find a player that does.

some of you are beyond spoiled. actually do some research and look at what other schools and coaches are doing before making some of these ridiculous statements.

AND IF THE TEAM DOESNT HAVE HIGH EXPECTATIONS THEN WHY THE HELL ARE WE EVEN WATCHING THEM? have some of you even played football in your lives? if you dont go into every season thinking you are going to win them all then please quit the team now so we can find a player that does.

Yes your supposed to have expectations but they seem to soar higher and higher every year. And yes I have played Football. You dont think you will win it all you think if you put enoughn effort into it nothing can stop you and you wont fail. Yes i do have expectations.

Yes your supposed to have expectations but they seem to soar higher and higher every year. And yes I have played Football. You dont think you will win it all you think if you put enoughn effort into it nothing can stop you and you wont fail. Yes i do have expectations.

I have played college football and coached high school football and no matter where ive been the mindset at the beginning of the season and until you lost one was that you would win them all. why wouldnt it be? I can say that ive never been on a team that won them all but we always expected to. if the players expectations arent high then there is something wrong. simple as that.

I have played college football and coached high school football and no matter where ive been the mindset at the beginning of the season and until you lost one was that you would win them all. why wouldnt it be? I can say that ive never been on a team that won them all but we always expected to. if the players expectations arent high then there is something wrong. simple as that.

i think some peoples' issue is more the fact that even after we've gotten our a$$ kicked (south carolina) some players are still far from humbled and continue to rant about being the better team, etc. if they were the better team they wouldn't have gotten embarrassed.

Being confident is one thing, but sometimes it's to the point where there are some ego issues. Some entitlement. And that's never something that is going to sit well with Nebraska fans. That stuff stays at USC.

You can't compare him to us regular working schlubs, though. You have to compare him to his contemporaries - other coaches in D1. Among those he's one of what? six? eight? coaches to win nine or more games each of the last four years?

I agree w/ this, but everyone going back to the 9 win thing again gets tiresome. (who are the other 7 by the way - i can't seem to find the article - nick saban, chris peterson, gary patterson are the three that jump out. maybe beemer?)

What gets me about the 9 win thing is that it implies he's a top tier coach, because he's in this elite group of 8 guys. Is he better than Urban Meyer, Les Miles, Bob Stoops, Bret Bielema, Chip Kelly, Mack Brown? I don't believe any of them would make that list...so Bo should beat them every time, I'd have to say he isn't and he doesn't win those games. He's a #20-#25ish coach with #14ish pay. Not exactly a huge gap there. But I can't say he's done anything to warrant a 5 year cushion either.

The way we pay college coaches today - the pay doesn't motivate them in any way. Bo doesn't need to win to earn more, and now he doesn't need to win to continue making that salary for the next 5 years. It would be nice if we'd say "hey, you're doing a great job...but if you want that extension you're going to have to accomplish some of your goals"

I guess his performance bonuses are supposed to motivate him. I'd be pretty happy make X-number hundred thousand dollars if I won a conference championship, but I guess if I'm making $3 million already and I don't get the bonus.... c'est la vie. It's not the end of the world, especially living off that salary in Lincoln, NE.

I'm with you on the "hasn't earned it" talk. Upper-mediocre results year in and year out aren't terrible, but they're not inspiring, either. Even with Bo being a first-time head coach, I was expecting US to be better by this point.

i think some peoples' issue is more the fact that even after we've gotten our a$$ kicked (south carolina) some players are still far from humbled and continue to rant about being the better team, etc. if they were the better team they wouldn't have gotten embarrassed.

Being confident is one thing, but sometimes it's to the point where there are some ego issues. Some entitlement. And that's never something that is going to sit well with Nebraska fans. That stuff stays at USC.

I would agree that there appears to be a significant disconnect between how good our players think we are and how good we really are - or, at least, how good our performance/results say we are. These guys can be the most physically talented team in D1 but if they go 9-4 again all that talent doesn't mean a thing. And nothing on the field says they are that talented yet. But when you read the comments coming out of the locker room after, say, the Northwestern loss, it sure seems like a lot of the team expected to walk into that game having already won it.

^ I don't know if I expected us to be much better (maybe a little) at this point when he was hired honestly. I thought it would be a slower progression. He didn't do himself any favors starting out with seasons like 2008 and following that up w/ the 2009 defense. He set the mark high early in his tenure. 2009 was just a mediocre offense away from 12-1 playing in a BCS game. Heck, if we had been 12-1, and beat Texas - with that defense...we very well might have jumped Oklahoma to play for the championship. 2010 was obviously going to be a step back from that. But we've fallen far from that 2009 season. The win/loss record doesn't tell the whole story.

See, I think we have talent. We don't have an O Line, which severely hampers what talent we have, but in the skill positions, we're doing OK. I'm pleased with RB, WR and TE, and Martinez is capable of greatness at QB - presuming he progresses. If we had an offensive line that was even half as good as our 80s teams (ignoring the 90s completely) we'd be worlds better than we are now.

I just think that the mentality of the team is all wrong. We're a rebuilding underdog, but they seem to approach every game, every season as if we're the favorite. We're not. We're not the old Huskers, and these guys could be a lot better than they are if they act like that. They need to play with that underdog's proverbial chip on their shoulder, not as if the opponent is going to go all knock-kneed at the mere sight of us.

See, I think we have talent. We don't have an O Line, which severely hampers what talent we have, but in the skill positions, we're doing OK. I'm pleased with RB, WR and TE, and Martinez is capable of greatness at QB - presuming he progresses. If we had an offensive line that was even half as good as our 80s teams (ignoring the 90s completely) we'd be worlds better than we are now.

I just think that the mentality of the team is all wrong. We're a rebuilding underdog, but they seem to approach every game, every season as if we're the favorite. We're not. We're not the old Huskers, and these guys could be a lot better than they are if they act like that. They need to play with that underdog's proverbial chip on their shoulder, not as if the opponent is going to go all knock-kneed at the mere sight of us.

i'd love to see a Pelini coached team that went into every game thinking they were the underdog, that they had something to prove. That's where his fire would have a positive effect on the team.

Exactly. Imagine if we played every game like Northwestern played us last year. Hair on fire, nothing to lose, balls-out the whole game. We were out-everythinged that game: Outcoached, outhussled, outwitted, outsmarted. They had that chip on their shoulder, and we showed up to win, not to play. We play WAY too many games like that. They're so wrapped up into the idea that "We Are Nebraska" that they forget we AREN'T Nebraska, at least, not the Nebraska we used to be.

Exactly. Imagine if we played every game like Northwestern played us last year. Hair on fire, nothing to lose, balls-out the whole game. We were out-everythinged that game: Outcoached, outhussled, outwitted, outsmarted. They had that chip on their shoulder, and we showed up to win, not to play. We play WAY too many games like that. They're so wrapped up into the idea that "We Are Nebraska" that they forget we AREN'T Nebraska, at least, not the Nebraska we used to be.

And the fans do absolutely nothing but worsen this by demanding championships or bust. Saying stuff like "he has 2 years, or else..." or "It's year 5, he has all his guys, if he doesn't win the B1G, it's a failure" all while lambasting the players for saying the exact same thing.

We've turned into an entitled fanbase that cries and throws a tantrum when we don't win. And that rubs off on the players.

• Fire 1

Isn't that what the fans were saying during and right after the game? Don't you think some of the players read and hear those things and start believing it themselves. Not saying it's a good reason or excuse, but it's a possibility.