The Ron Brown Religion & Persecution Thread

This statement, to me, is the most troubling.

"to be fired for my faith would be a greater honor than to be fired because we didn't win enough games."

This shows pride that is really not at all what a Christian should possess. Christians should be transparent --- in the sense that attention should not be upon them, but rather upon the glory of God. A Christian should be see-through that in all they do, the focal point is not on them but on the Lord.

If Ron Brown is fired, it will not be for his faith --- it will be for his sinful obnoxious use of his secular position to pound his own personal agenda. He might feel proud that his dismissal (if such is forthcoming) is for "his faith" as if he were some sort of martyr... but he will be fooling himself if he thinks that.

Again, the proper way to live in the world but not be of the world --- the proper way to live as a believer in an unbelieving world --- is to do so with humility pointing others to God, not self.

Coach Brown may be a great guy, and... at a certain level somewhat properly motivated... but his statement about being fired belies his holding a prideful perspective that I wish he will reconsider.

Well said, robsker!

I really wish someone on the team would sit down with coach Brown and ask him why he has chosen to skip over all the other arcane commands and statements in Dueteronomy. He's either willfully choosing to be selective in his reading of the bible, which seems to be quite popular when it comes to contemporary arguments on social issues, or masking bigotry with religious belief, which is just as pathetic.

Probably he's skipped it because it is part of MOSIAIC LAW and therefore not applicable to him as a CHRISTIAN. It's pretty much the reason I don't follow stuff in Duet and Leviticus as well.

sweet, then the homosexual reference isn't applicable anymore either! Problem solved!

Back on topic, the point I was making, is that anti-discrimination laws are by nature, discriminatory, and in my opinion, a waste.

This is patently untrue. The law states that you cannot hire someone (or fail to hire someone) because of the color of their skin. How in the world is that discriminatory? If some company interprets that to say, "We have to hire non-White people" then that is a clear violation of the law. You cannot base your hiring decision on skin color - no matter what that color is. Whites have the exact same protection under this law as any other color.

In Nebraska, the VAST majority of discrimination charges filed are filed by White people.

And when that company is the State of Florida? Whether we admit it or not, the application of "discrimination" is not equal.

Back on topic, the point I was making, is that anti-discrimination laws are by nature, discriminatory, and in my opinion, a waste.

This is patently untrue. The law states that you cannot hire someone (or fail to hire someone) because of the color of their skin. How in the world is that discriminatory? If some company interprets that to say, "We have to hire non-White people" then that is a clear violation of the law. You cannot base your hiring decision on skin color - no matter what that color is. Whites have the exact same protection under this law as any other color.

In Nebraska, the VAST majority of discrimination charges filed are filed by White people.

And when that company is the State of Florida? Whether we admit it or not, the application of "discrimination" is not equal.

As Adam Savage would say, "Well that's your problem right there." :D

Still, the person passed over for the job has grounds for a federal lawsuit under Title VII. The State of Florida cannot trump federal law, and if they are hiring people based on the color of their skin they are going to run afoul of the Feds.

I agree with you that, in application, discrimination is not equal. But it should be, and I fight every day to make it be. I'm doing the best I can. Wish me luck.

Then how can they use the "lack of skin color" as a basis for discrimination suits against a firm? Look at the Mooney rule in the NFL. You MUST interview a black candidate. How is that not disrimination? It automatically dictates that the hiring process is influenced by race.

I'm just getting into this conversation, and don't have a strong opinion one way or the other. I however feel that Coach Brown would speak to his players the same way about drinking and drugs. He sees those indulgences as a sin, just as he sees homosexuality as a sin. They are playing it off as him hating gays, when in reality he is just stating he feels it is a sin. Abdulla is a perfect example of a player with a faith that doesn't align w/ Brown. Brown hasn't benched him, and likely hasn't tried to "christianize" him. I assume he'd have a similar approach to a gay player on the team, but I admit that player might feel uncomfortable around him.

I'm not familiar with "lack of skin color" as a basis for discrimination. Never heard of a suit that cited that, honestly.

The Mooney Rule IS discriminatory. I have no idea how that rule goes unchallenged. I can only imagine that it's a fear of bad press more than anything, because on the face of it, it violates Title VII. Or perhaps it has something to do with the CBA, and I'll admit my knowledge of permissible collective bargaining stipulations is lacking.

He's doing so on his own time and with no affiliation with the university. I understand he screwed up once in putting his address as UNL but that's been remedied.

I'm University of Nebraska coach, Ron Brown. Let me tell you about the great Nebraska football players that I've coached. My address? Memorial Stadium. Maybe you've heard of it.

No affiliation with the university? Really?

I'm not familiar with "lack of skin color" as a basis for discrimination. Never heard of a suit that cited that, honestly.

The Mooney Rule IS discriminatory. I have no idea how that rule goes unchallenged. I can only imagine that it's a fear of bad press more than anything, because on the face of it, it violates Title VII. Or perhaps it has something to do with the CBA, and I'll admit my knowledge of permissible collective bargaining stipulations is lacking.

You see it all the time. How often do we see articles written regarding the lack of black head coaches, or the lack of black executives at a firm. People automatically assume that a firm "lacks diversity and discriminates" if there isn't a certain number of non-white execs. So what does the firm have to do? Discriminate in their hiring process to balance things back out.

It's Rooney rule, but I digress. It's basis is also not that uncommon. Certain entities are required to interview minority candidates, even if they already know who the want to hire.

It's Rooney rule, but I digress. It's basis is also not that uncommon. Certain entities are required to interview minority candidates, even if they already know who the want to hire.

Looney rule?

Looney rule?

Ha... It sure is retarded.