Old and tired: Voter ID's. New and cool: Implanted barcodes.

This from the BBC.

------------------

http://www.bbc.com/future/story/20120522-barcode-everyone-at-birth

"Barcode everyone at birth"

May 22, 2012

This week science fiction writer Elizabeth Moon argues that everyone should be given a barcode at birth.

“If I were empress of the Universe I would insist on every individual having a unique ID permanently attached - a barcode if you will; an implanted chip to provide an easy, fast inexpensive way to identify individuals.

It would be imprinted on everyone at birth. Point the scanner at someone and there it is.

-------------------

I don't even like to see this sort of thing in print, much less enacted.

This straight from the book of Revelation...

Ha ha! Those were the exact words that came to mind for me as well.

Why embedded barcodes? Why not just use a fingerprint scanner instead?

You can't even get some to accept a free government ID card. Somehow it hurts the poor. They don't have any problem lining up for free food, daycare and healthcare.....but no no no..an ID card so I can vote?

Good luck with a bar code. I don't support an implanted bar code by the way.

Free ID card. There is no talk of a free ID card. It would be like a drivers license that charges like $20. To some, $20 is not a thought, to others it determines if they eat that week.

Link 1 - Wisconsin

The law includes a clause that allows residents to get a state photo ID card for free if they need it to vote. The cost is $28 otherwise.

Link 2 - US House

Democrats in the U.S. House have proposed a bill that would require states with Voter ID restrictions to provide free government-issued IDs to voters.

Link 3 - Texas

Texas officials had argued that they would take sufficient steps to mitigate any impact of the law, including giving free identification cards to voters who lacked them.

Link 4 - Tennessee

Link is pretty self explanatory.

Edit:

Link 5 - Nebraska - Who knew?

He also said only people who are in the voter registration database but do not have Nebraska driver's licenses or ID cards would receive free registration cards every two years.

Link 6 - South Carolina

“Find me those people that think that this is invading their rights,” Mrs Haley said tartly, responding to such claims, “and I will go take them to the DMV [the Department of Motor Vehicles, which issues driving licences with photographs] myself.” In the end, Mrs Haley did not drive anyone anywhere, though she has ordered the state to ferry voters without ID to the DMV free of charge on September 28th

Link 7 - Indiana

Republicans say the numbers of people who do not have the proper type of ID are exaggerated and proponents of the rules point to provisions in different state laws that provide free photo identification to those who need it.

You can't even get some to accept a free government ID card.

Free? How do you arrive at that?

Bigger government and bigger spending is OK if you agree with the cause. Everything is relative I suppose.

If it makes sense. I'd be more than happy to pay for a drug test every six months for a person to be eligible for government funds.

Bigger government and bigger spending is OK if you agree with the cause. Everything is relative I suppose.

Yeah, but if they're already taking thousands in government handouts, what's another $20?

Yeah, but if they're already taking thousands in government handouts, what's another $20?

Spoken like a true big government liberal.

If it makes sense.

Ah. There's the rub. Small-government conservatives are OK with bigger government when they want a certain result. And "free" now apparently means that someone else is paying for it.

I'd be more than happy to pay for a drug test every six months for a person to be eligible for government funds.

Could you explain in a little more detail how you would design that system?

If it makes sense.

Ah. There's the rub. Small-government conservatives are OK with bigger government when they want a certain result. And "free" now apparently means that someone else is paying for it.

I'd be more than happy to pay for a drug test every six months for a person to be eligible for government funds.

Could you explain in a little more detail how you would design that system?

how about this- Dirty drug test=no $. Take the underage children in home and given them to established families who want to raise them.