Kansas is the most regressive tax state in nation

Since home-schooled children consistently score higher on standardized tests than children who are "educated" in public schools, I doubt if this will keep the masses more stupid than the current system does.

What's the average teacher-student ratio for home schooled children versus public schools? Do you think that might factor into the higher scores?

Since home-schooled children consistently score higher on standardized tests than children who are "educated" in public schools, I doubt if this will keep the masses more stupid than the current system does.

What's the average teacher-student ratio for home schooled children versus public schools? Do you think that might factor into the higher scores?

It is more likely that the parents are concerned with their kids education. Kids who do well in school: home schooled, private (mom and dad pay so they are concerned) and involved parents in public education. Kids who do not do well in school: those whose parents view school as free day care or worse those whose parents say "If any teacher gives you any trouble, haul off and hit 'em"

• Fire 1

Everyone is hysterically claiming that the sky is falling and that education will suffer in Kansas. I believe that as far as public education in the U.S. is concerned, the sky fell long, long ago. Kansans have proven the law of supply and demand once again. Produce a shoddy, worthless product, and people will eventually stop buying it. Home-schooling parents stopped buying public education because of that. I fear that improved teacher-pupil ratios won't fix the problem.

Yos-

I agree. Improved teacher-student ratios alone won't fix the problems. Honesty, I also agree that parental involvement is probably one of the biggest factors.

Edit- This is actually directed toward huKSer's post. Sometimes my mobile huskerboarding doesn't work so well.

That said I would disagree that parents care BECAUSE they send their kids to private school. They send their kid to private school because they care.

Parental involvement is undeniably vital to academic success. That said why is it "more likely" that it's the only factor? Do you think that a 1-1 or 1-2 teacher-student ratio yields better results than a 1-30 ratio? I do.

Of course you are right. Absolutely. Unfortunately, kids don't go to school ready to learn.

Parental involvement is undeniably vital to academic success. That said why is it "more likely" that it's the only factor? Do you think that a 1-1 or 1-2 teacher-student ratio yields better results than a 1-30 ratio? I do.

Of course you are right. Absolutely. Unfortunately, kids don't go to school ready to learn.

I agree. Are parents or public education more to blame?

Everyone is hysterically claiming that the sky is falling and that education will suffer in Kansas. I believe that as far as public education in the U.S. is concerned, the sky fell long, long ago. Kansans have proven the law of supply and demand once again. Produce a shoddy, worthless product, and people will eventually stop buying it. Home-schooling parents stopped buying public education because of that. I fear that improved teacher-pupil ratios won't fix the problem.

Depends on where you are: midwest states with work ethic do alright - big city schools have mostly failed, partly due to too strong of unions protecting idiotic teachers and partly to a culture of "who cares" You choose: graduate from HS and get a low paying $20,000 per year job or in exchange for selling drugs to your class mates you get to run your dad's crack business when he gets arrested and have anything you want (this happened to my HS)

Finally got a chance to come back to this. While I don't totally discount the professor's opinions, as canttakeit stated already, it was MUCH more of a 'sky is falling' approach, rather than what seemed like a reasoned analysis of the situation. I also haven't had a chance to look at the bill in its entirety, but I also doubt that the pieces of the legislation are quite as simplistic in their end result and analysis as the professor is trying to make them. I'll try to give an analysis after I have a chance to look.

what's the average number of kids that are home schooled that know very little english, live in a one/no parent household and not exposed to poverty or violence?

what's the average number of kids that are home schooled that know very little english, live in a one/no parent household and not exposed to poverty or violence?

I suspect that those children who know very little English, live in a one/no parent household and are exposed to poverty and/or violence do not believe that some of the keys to a happy life are to 1) Get an education. 2) Pay your own way. 3) Obey the law. 4) Wait until you are an adult before having children. 5) Marry the father/mother of your children. Do these things and you have a much better chance at being successful and living a happy life. That's the good news.

The bad news - people who do otherwise are going to be the majority in 30 years. What's that going to be like?

• Fire 1

I suspect that those children who know very little English, live in a one/no parent household and are exposed to poverty and/or violence do not believe that some of the keys to a happy life are to 1) Get an education. 2) Pay your own way. 3) Obey the law. 4) Wait until you are an adult before having children. 5) Marry the father/mother of your children. Do these things and you have a much better chance at being successful and living a happy life. That's the good news.

The bad news - people who do otherwise are going to be the majority in 30 years. What's that going to be like?

Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together... mass hysteria!

Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together... mass hysteria!

Well, the obvious question is this: Who you gonna' call?

:moreinteresting

What are you arguing?

For all you hand ringing libs.....you should pay attention to a few important realities such as Kansas's every two year elections and it's balanced budget requirements which in one form or another nearly all states now have before you are overly concerned about their impending unavoidable catastrophic collapse. Kids.....just be happy that a new and different experiment is underway and wait and see what the result is since it will have no negative impact on you (since you don't live there but if you do....I suggest you become a wealthy business owner asap ;) and if you don't, I still suggest you become a wealthy business owner asap (this thread put KS on my list of now 4 states (Nebr not on the list obviously because it has income tax and nothing particular to offer) as to where I'll open my new financial business :) ).

Oh...I should point out that lawyers are the bane of the U.S. and they should all be subjected to a min tax of 70% but since they comprise 90 some percent of all elected officials one should not expect those vermin to self regulate even in KS today. So....that is one terrible miss in the new legislation.