Kansas is the most regressive tax state in nation

Is there anyone else that looking for information other than an editorial written by a Law Professor that has worked at a public University since 1967?

I think he is fairly qualified to speak on this position.

http://www.law.ku.ed...dickinson.shtml

He is a nationally recognized authority in estate planning and taxation and a co-author of standard publications in those fields.

This statements alone sounds like my Union Head teacher mother when Heineman comes up.

I don't see how you could have a problem with that statement educational funding has been a major issue for some time now.

Not to take this in another direction but your mother probably has some pretty valid points. Having parents who worked for the state and one in particular in education I have heard some not so faltering stories about heineman. From what I gather he is the most politically motivated, back stabbing, SOB out there and he has no regard for people, treats them like garbage.

You do realize that those types of descriptions of individuals are usually put in by the author and the publication to enhance the authority of the individual? 'Nationally recognized' without more should never be an automatic to authority on the topic. I had the same skepticism that gbgr had. This reads straight out of the typical horror stories that are used to frighten citizens into raising taxes, or at least not cutting them. I don't have time right now to dig more, but I'd certainly want more than one guy's opinion on the subject, and take a look at the law myself, before automatically assuming his conclusions are correct. I do appreciate your comments regarding your school district, huKSer. It helps to give at least a little local perspective on it.

Is there anyone else that looking for information other than an editorial written by a Law Professor that has worked at a public University since 1967?

He is a nationally recognized authority in estate planning and taxation and a co-author of standard publications in those fields.

This statements alone sounds like my Union Head teacher mother when Heineman comes up.

I don't see how you could have a problem with that statement educational funding has been a major issue for some time now.

Not to take this in another direction but your mother probably has some pretty valid points. Having parents who worked for the state and one in particular in education I have heard some not so faltering stories about heineman. From what I gather he is the most politically motivated, back stabbing, SOB out there and he has no regard for people, treats them like garbage.

http://postbulletin.com/news/stories/display.php?id=1497490

Perspective is always key. This links to an AP article about it.

ZRod - I've had personal experience with Dave. I stayed late one day in a temp position to work on something he was pretty upset about. This was after he had left the Treasurer's office to become Lieutenant Governor. Even though he was upset, he was never demeaning or nasty to me. He thanked me quite a bit after the incident. I've had several opportunities to interact with him since, and he's never been that way with me or the others I've been around. My wife was ina a position for about 3 years in state government where it would have been easy to be demeaning to her. She had to work with Dave's office and Dave on several occasions, and was always treated respectfully and courteously by his office. Regardless of what happened with his successor in the Treasurer's office (you want to talk about nasty, I would have NEVER supported that woman for office, and didn't when she ran for the office soon after that - as I recall I didn't vote for anyone for treasurer that go around). While those are simply two people's experiences, I've talked to a lot more that support that opinion of Dave. That's not to say that I haven't also heard rumblings from some of what Dave can be like when you're on the opposite side of an issue from him, but for the most part, I've never seen those disagreements as personal, usually. Not to say that there can't be... certainly the whole Heineman/Bruning feud is pretty well known. But I've seen a lot worse than him in my associations in state government, including many 'lifers' that are some of the meanest nastiest people I've ever dealt with. Certainly a great deal nastier than Dave. Sorry to hijack, but i thought it would at least be appropriate to respond, considering he had been brought up in the context of this thread.

http://postbulletin.....php?id=1497490

That article did not say much different. The rich will get away with paying nothing, the poor get a tax increase, and have tax deductions taken away from them on the tax return side of things. Still says budget shortfalls are going to come, and you know damned well that one of the first places republicans go after money is by taking it away from the education system.

HuskerFanChuck I'm sure he can be a nice guy when your working with him, and I admit I went overboard with the name calling but from what I've seen out of him (most recently with the pipeline) I don't much care for the guy, way too political.

And yes I know that the description I gave of the professor wass made to puff up the individual but was just trying to give his opinion some perspective. I understand wanting opposing opinions and a different perspective, but I really hope you're not dismissing the professor's opinions off hand because you don't agree with it. I think someone who has been researching and most likely teaching law for almost a half century and who's speciality is in the tax area may have a pretty good perspective.

They bring up all the same concerns but just fluff it up with the governor's opinion on why he signed it. But I guess since this is pretty unfounded there isn't much out there to base their claims on. Kudos for having the cojones to sign it though, if it works he's going to be a hero and I'll gladly admit being wrong but I'm not too optimistic about it.

HuskerFanChuck I'm sure he can be a nice guy when your working with him, and I admit I went overboard with the name calling but from what I've seen out of him (most recently with the pipeline) I don't much care for the guy, way too political.

And yes I know that the description I gave of the professor wass made to puff up the individual but was just trying to give his opinion some perspective. I understand wanting opposing opinions and a different perspective, but I really hope you're not dismissing the professor's opinions off hand because you don't agree with it. I think someone who has been researching and most likely teaching law for almost a half century and who's speciality is in the tax area may have a pretty good perspective.

They bring up all the same concerns but just fluff it up with the governor's opinion on why he signed it. But I guess since this is pretty unfounded there isn't much out there to base their claims on. Kudos for having the cojones to sign it though, if it works he's going to be a hero and I'll gladly admit being wrong but I'm not too optimistic about it.

The op-ed is "the sky is falling", as an op-ed that is against this would be. The AP article is more centered, and at least brings in the other side, I hope it works.

The op-ed is "the sky is falling", as an op-ed that is against this would be. The AP article is more centered, and at least brings in the other side, I hope it works.

The AP article does little to no looking ahead to the fallout. The op-ed does.

You hope it works? I suppose it will work for the business 'owners' or anyone who can legally reclassify. Everyone else is getting the shaft. Don't be naive enough to think that giving more profit to a company owner magically means more jobs. It does not. Businesses are sitting on trillions of dollars right now, and they are not hiring.

You hope it works? I suppose it will work for the business 'owners' (Banks) or anyone who can legally reclassify. Everyone else is getting the shaft. Don't be naive enough to think that giving more profit to a company owner magically means more jobs. It does not. Businesses are sitting on trillions of dollars right now, and they are not hiring.

Doesn't really sound a whole lot different than the rhetoric that surrounded the Emergency Economic Stabilization Act of 2008. That worked........ didn't it?

You hope it works? I suppose it will work for the business 'owners' or anyone who can legally reclassify. Everyone else is getting the shaft. Don't be naive enough to think that giving more profit to a company owner magically means more jobs. It does not. Businesses are sitting on trillions of dollars right now, and they are not hiring.

I'm considering incorporating myself as I type

You hope it works? I suppose it will work for the business 'owners' (Banks) or anyone who can legally reclassify. Everyone else is getting the shaft. Don't be naive enough to think that giving more profit to a company owner magically means more jobs. It does not. Businesses are sitting on trillions of dollars right now, and they are not hiring.

Doesn't really sound a whole lot different than the rhetoric that surrounded the Emergency Economic Stabilization Act of 2008. That worked........ didn't it?

It worked amazingly well to get the financial services sector back on track for record profits after torpedoing everyone else...thanks Hank Paulson and George Bush!

Dude, lighten up. All I was trying to do was provide an article that was from a news source, instead of an Op-Ed. Yes I hope it works for them, it is all I can do, I dont live in Kansas, so I cannot vote for or against the people who put this plan in effect.