***Official NCAA Baseball Tournament Thread***

AZ looked for real tonight.

They sure did.

What a let down. It's times like these that make me hate sports. Getting so wound up for an event over which you have zero control.

Do you think SC can take 2 in row?

Maybe. The Gamecocks are 7-0 in elimination games and Roth should be pitching next time if I remember correctly but still...two in a row against a team like Arizona might be pushing it.

I sure hope they can make it but I'll be happy even if they don't. The past few years have been amazing for Carolina athletics, AD deserves a huge raise.

Wade sparks Arizona to Game 1 win against South Carolina

By Grant Muessel

OMAHA — Arizona starting pitcher Konner Wade held back two-time defending champion South Carolina in Game 1 of the College World Series championship series, allowing the Wildcats to spread five runs over four innings in a 5-1 victory Sunday at TD Ameritrade Park Omaha.

Wade pitched his second complete game of the tournament – becoming the first pitcher to do so since 2004 – while blanking the Gamecocks through the first five innings.

“The difference in the game was Konner Wade,” South Carolina coach Ray Tanner said. “I’m not selling out our hitters tonight. I give the credit to Konner Wade.”

Never thought SC would get swept. Hats off to Arizona.

My thoughts exactly. I'm sort of shocked. Before the series started I thought the Gamecocks would win it all. (Then again, I don't know squat about baseball.)

I guess that's why they play the game(s). :)

Arizona holds off South Carolina for CWS crown

OMAHA -- It looked as if destiny might strike again in the bottom of the ninth inning Monday at TD Ameritrade Park.

Arizona thought it had the game in hand after a three-run flurry in the top of the inning, a rapid change of pace from the single run scored by each team through the first eight innings.

Fate seemed to want a shot to see a three-time title winner. But it wasn't to be, as the Wildcats held on for a 4-1 victory, clinching the school's first College World Series title since 1986.

South Carolina, the two-time defending champion, loaded the bases with one out and had the winning run at the plate.

But Wildcat shortstop Alex Mejia snagged Tanner English’s line drive for the second out and a pop fly ended the game.

Yet another good read by an up-and-coming local sports journalist.