Cities are making it unlawful to feed the homeless

This is a growing trend, and while I can't really think of many good reasons to prohibit non-profit agencies from doing, May Bloomberg has banned food donations to the homeless "because the city can’t assess their salt, fat and fiber content."

With the huge increase in food stamp spending under the current administration, it seems reasonable to me to let private charities help with this problem.

http://reason.com/archives/2012/06/09/bans-on-feeding-homeless-have-always-bee

I have no sympathy whatsoever for anyone begging for food or money on the side of the rode and I will never give them a single red cent. When the economy nearly crashed a couple of years ago I lost my job where I was making a very comfortable wage. I'm now working for 7.50 an hour and barely scraping by. It makes me mad as hell that these people, most of whom are able-bodied, believe that working for minimum wage is somehow beneath them.

I have no sympathy whatsoever for anyone begging for food or money on the side of the rode and I will never give them a single red cent. When the economy nearly crashed a couple of years ago I lost my job where I was making a very comfortable wage. I'm now working for 7.50 an hour and barely scraping by. It makes me mad as hell that these people, most of whom are able-bodied, believe that working for minimum wage is somehow beneath them.

Your sweeping generalization that the homeless are a bunch of freeloaders is entirely misconstrued. There are some that fit your mold but many others have mental disabilities or other impediments, little or no formal education, and had poor upbringings.

• Fire 1

Well they do have to walk several blocks to get into their new car - urban legend?

I understand that sentiment but I don't know that laziness is to blame for all those that are homeless. As Red said many are mentally ill and we're set out to fend for themselves decades ago when shutting down mental facilities was in vogue. Others are caught in a vicious cycle of drug addiction that yes, they may be to blame for, but is still worthy of empathy or at the very least pity.

And I thought the really whacky stuff of the dems came out of California. Sad thing is, Mayor Bloomberg probably really is more concerned about the quality of their food than if they actually get to eat anything. Words can't describe it.

Let them eat cake?

Your sweeping generalization that the homeless are a bunch of freeloaders is entirely misconstrued. There are some that fit your mold but many others have mental disabilities or other impediments, little or no formal education, and had poor upbringings.

Not but a week ago I saw a man standing on the corner of Myrtle and 13th, it's the point where the 184 connector merges into downtown Boise, and he was standing on the side of the road begging for money while talking on his cell phone. So he's homeless, has no money, but can afford a cell phone? Same intersection a man and woman have their little kid with them. Imagine the life lesson they're imparting to that kid, that's it's "okay" to be a worthless leech. To not worry about being self-sufficient to rely on strangers to provide for you. I see more and more people standing on the corner begging for money. The vast majority of them I'd say well over 95% look, to my eyes, perfectly capable of working. They simply choose not to.

Edit: Poor ubringings...lol...as if anyone who has a job and works for a living has had a life of ease.

Not but a week ago I saw a man standing on the corner of Myrtle and 13th, it's the point where the 184 connector merges into downtown Boise, and he was standing on the side of the road begging for money while talking on his cell phone. So he's homeless, has no money, but can afford a cell phone? Same intersection a man and woman have their little kid with them. Imagine the life lesson they're imparting to that kid, that's it's "okay" to be a worthless leech. To not worry about being self-sufficient to rely on strangers to provide for you. I see more and more people standing on the corner begging for money. The vast majority of them I'd say well over 95% look, to my eyes, perfectly capable of working. They simply choose not to.

Edit: Poor ubringings...lol...as if anyone who has a job and works for a living has had a life of ease.

I heard that the unemployed need a cell phone for future employers to call them for a job interview.

• Fire 1

I just read a book called The Kindess of Strangers written by a journalist who decided to document his cross-country journey hitchhiking across the US. He left San Francisco penniless and set the one rule that he could accept rides, meals, and lodging from strangers, but never money. It was around a six week journey and during it he enountered/competed with homeless people. It was his experience that most homeless people that had signs and were outright pandering for money were really quite well off and had homes to go to at night. At least that is what they confessed to. Pandering was their job and a tax free one at that.

Unrelated to OT, but he also found that the individuals with the least to give gave the most.