What B1G team is most likely to win it all?

NUance

30 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

ESPN Insider recently completed its rundown of "20 teams that can win it all" during the 2012 season. Defending Big Ten champion Wisconsin made the list, as did Ohio State, even though the Buckeyes are banned from postseason play this season.

Who didn't make the list? Michigan, Michigan State and Nebraska. Some would say these are three of the Big Ten's best four or five squads.

LINK

This from an espn blog article by Rittenberg.

The whole reason I put this poll up is because of tOSU. I mean, they can't play in a bowl. How could they possibly win the MNC then? Granted, the Buckeyes are probably most likely to finish highest in the polls. But, oddly, since they can't go bowling I don't think could possibly win the title. How would that even work?

And Wisconsin? Oh come on. Really? They are going to miss Russell Wilson a LOT more that they realize. Plus they catch a brutal part of the Legends division this year, playing Michigan, Michigan State, and Nebraska. I just don't see the Cheeseheads going the distance.

Instead I gotta go with one of the Legends teams. It's hard to choose between Michigan/Mich State. Beside, those guys are chokers on a big stage. And hey, I'm an NU Kool-Aid drinker this time of year anyway. So I'm going with good ole NU.

I think the only thing we could win this year is the AP Title which isn't anything special.

The only B1G team I think could most likely win the MNC this year is MSU. Their QB situation is still a huge ? mark but their defense will be why they would have a shot to win it all.

The only option is Michigan, IMHO, and I'm not saying that's super realistic either. The idea of Michigan State or Wisconsin going makes me laugh.

Well with Wisconsin getting O'Brian who knows, i bet he gets them an extra win or two that they wouldn't have had

I am actually just looking him up for the first time right now. Are we really supposed to expect them to be most likely in the B1G to win a national championship with a guy who was on a 2-10 team last year, passed for 56% and ran for 57 yards? Maybe I'm missing something. I know he's not entirely to blame for going 2-10 and maybe that makes him even better, because he did alright on a crappy team... but Wilson could run the ball. I think it will be night and day.

The only option is Michigan, IMHO, and I'm not saying that's super realistic either. The idea of Michigan State or Wisconsin going makes me laugh.

Well with Wisconsin getting O'Brian who knows, i bet he gets them an extra win or two that they wouldn't have had

I am actually just looking him up for the first time right now. Are we really supposed to expect them to be most likely in the B1G to win a national championship with a guy who was on a 2-10 team last year, passed for 56% and ran for 57 yards? Maybe I'm missing something. I know he's not entirely to blame for going 2-10 and maybe that makes him even better, because he did alright on a crappy team... but Wilson could run the ball. I think it will be night and day.

Yes sir, Wilson was simply superman this year and the talent gap between him and this O'Brian kid is very likely to be monstrous. Ha, I really didn't think Wilson would be all that good last year......wow, I was dead wrong.

I think the Cheeseheads will have rough sledding this year. They might still win their division but they'll get crushed by our division champ.

I think it's a three way race between us & the two Michigan schools. I like our chances but I admit being objective about the BigRed is simply impossible for me.

I think it's a three way race between us & the two Michigan schools. I like our chances but I admit being objective about the BigRed is simply impossible for me.

Agreed on everything (well, less so on MSU... unless we drop one to a Northwestern-type team again and they win the division over us that way). Still hard for me to see us beating both Ohio State and Michigan. Not because they are THAT much better than Nebraska, but because they have mobile QBs. For that same reason, I'm very confident that we'll beat Wisconsin, even if nothing at all has changed for them besides the QB.

I'm pretty supportive of Bo in general but I really think he's thick-skulled about dealing with mobile QBs. What he's done against them has failed over and over again and he's failed over and over again to change his philosophy. At least, that's the way it seems. I hope this year something will change.

Agreed on everything (well, less so on MSU... unless we drop one to a Northwestern-type team again and they win the division over us that way). Still hard for me to see us beating both Ohio State and Michigan. Not because they are THAT much better than Nebraska, but because they have mobile QBs. For that same reason, I'm very confident that we'll beat Wisconsin, even if nothing at all has changed for them besides the QB.

I'm pretty supportive of Bo in general but I really think he's thick-skulled about dealing with mobile QBs. What he's done against them has failed over and over again and he's failed over and over again to change his philosophy. At least, that's the way it seems. I hope this year something will change.

I'm a big Bo supporter but probably that's his biggest weak link. What's so frustrating is that 2003 had his blackshirts (led by SuperD) ripping opponent qb heads off. I just don't get it.

Again like you, I really hope he tries something. Last year the rushing the qb with the standing Dline was pretty cool so you gotta think he's more than capable of doing something. We'll see.

I forgot that anOSU is not eligible for 1/3 the penalty that UNC got.

I should have voted Wiscy simply because they could luckbox into playing the Big12 champion and then their power running might work. I like their style but they are rarely talented across the field enough to beat a top team.

Your defense looked so tentative last year, staying in place and waiting for the ball carrier to get there. Compared to the 90s bowl replays, they looked like a practice squad.

• 1 month later...

No one stands a chance realistically. mediocrity all around.

I would say Wisky has the best chance though. they have the Bucks and Sparty at home and they miss the skunkweasels. They also have the best proven tailback in the conference.

That would be the only reason. I would be shocked if any team in this conference had fewer than 2 losses.