Sieckmann has left NU volleyball team

IMO the other 2 left because they were not going to get much floor time.

This one...has me scratching my head. A nice setup for a 6-2 offense that would roll over to next year with Hunter joining the squad. Unless she was told that Kelly Hunter was going to be the one setter starter going into 2013...which I don't see Cook saying that, I can't imagine another team in the country that has an extra scholly this late. (?)

Edit...rumor is she is headed to Wayne State? wtf?

Not suprised in the least.

I don't believe Cook has any interest in running a 6-2 again at this time even with Sieckmann and Hunter running a 6-2 in club together, Sieckmann isn't going to be a starter this year and from all acounts Hunter was the better player than Seickmann overall when they were playing together and would likely be next in line. Plus Alexis Strange is a pretty solid setter in her own right and could move over from the right side if needed in a pinch -she's also a lefty.

Not suprised in the least.

C'mon bro. ;)

While I agree Hunter is a better setter (no bias, even though I am a Papio South parent) I find it hard to believe that a top 50 recruit that graduated HS early decides to leave the program. It does happen elsewhere and maybe I am just wishing it didn't happen here. We've had players in the past adjust to different roles and succeed, i.e. Dani Busboom. The big worry is for this year having no real backup option to Cook.

I am a fan of the 6-2, playing with and coaching it. Maybe I need to get a job cleaning John's aquarium.

I wish Lauren the best, and hopes she shines at her new school..Wayne State... on and off the court.

http://huskerextra.com/sports/huskers/volleyball/article_505b1e04-29fa-5a4e-83f0-352d6762f985.html

Also sounds, from the OWH report this morning, that she had an injury early on in the spring that kept her from seeing a lot of playing time, which appeared to be a lot of the reason she went through graduating early, etc. Just sounds like she ended up in a position where she figured out that setter wasn't where she wanted to be, when that's what Nebraska had recruited her for. She and Cook both sounded very classy in their statements, and I wish her the best at Wayne State.

It's interesting that she says she wants to focus on hitting in the LJS column. Setting may not be as gratifying as slamming down a kill, but it's the focal point of the offense.

Maybe she just wants to play ball, but doesn't want the limelight that the setter position brings. Hard to say. I'm just sad to see her go. :(

Two different stories out there but the most common one is that she hadn't developed the last year and a half like they thought she should have. Sounds like some club coaches even wondered why the Huskers were giving her a scholarship offer. The other thing floating around is that some people think LC gets special treatment from JC and thats caused a riff. If that's so I'd guess its more of girls being jealous of another girl being that much better. I remember Sarah P often being torn down by her teammates back in the last NC run.

If the best she could do was going to Wayne State then it's not much of a loss. If she was good enough to go to a quality division program I and chose to go to Wayne State instead then her head wasn't in the game and it's better off she is no longer a Husker anyway.

Two different stories out there but the most common one is that she hadn't developed the last year and a half like they thought she should have. Sounds like some club coaches even wondered why the Huskers were giving her a scholarship offer. The other thing floating around is that some people think LC gets special treatment from JC and thats caused a riff. If that's so I'd guess its more of girls being jealous of another girl being that much better. I remember Sarah P often being torn down by her teammates back in the last NC run.

Sieckmann was a Fab 50 recruit, so it wasn't just Nebraska seeing something in her. She's talented, and there's no doubt about that. I have no idea how much progress she was making, or if lack of progress contributed to her moving on. It seems more than coincidental that she's moving on just as we're bringing in Haggerty, though.

No matter how talented Lauren is there will always be a concern that she's getting 'special treatment.' It goes with the territory of being the coach's daughter. Unfounded or not, that could play a role.

The Pavan situation is just an unfortunate chapter in a rough period inside that locker room. It's too bad that we didn't gel better during her tenure, because we had the talent to take more than one championship. Just goes to show that on-court skill isn't the only factor in determining how "good" a team is.

If the best she could do was going to Wayne State then it's not much of a loss. If she was good enough to go to a quality division program I and chose to go to Wayne State instead then her head wasn't in the game and it's better off she is no longer a Husker anyway.

I wouldn't expect Sieckmann to finish her career at Wayne State. I'd look at this as more of a chance to play while working out the kinks in her new position hitting. I would expect to see her play in a Div. 1 program in 2013.