West Coast Offense: We've been duped

"block run plays well here there"? have you already forgotten? 35 yards rushing in the last 3 games? that is absolutely HORRIBLE! the WORST! I don't care how good your backs are, if the O line can't block it will be MORE OF THE SAME! SSDD....it will not change very much even next year.....even if we get new O linemen it will take time for them to adjust and learn, especially with Wagner coaching! the run game is pathetic and all but abandoned....

hunter

Yes here and there. Never consistently. You forget you are talking net yards. Hurts when you take 10-15 sacks in the last two games for a good 5 yards a pop. Hurts the bottom line, so to speak

Wagner a bad coach? I would agree if a coach could prevent injuries.

The team wants to run the ball. We just haven't been able to get it done. Period.

Funny, I don't remember our offensive line EVER being incapable of run blocking...until Cally came on the scene.  We've taken good run blockers and converted them to inept pass AND run blockers.  Great going Pedy and Cally!

Really? Then how do you explain the blowout losses to Colorado and Miami in 2001, Penn St, Iowa St, Kansas St, Colordo in 2002, Texas, Missouri and Kansas St in 2003. Or do we only count run blocking against Troy St, Utah St, McNeese St, So Miss??

Explain how we were outscored 123-325 in those 9 blowout losses if run blocking wasn't a problem? It sure as hell wasn't our passing game now was it?

It's called selective memory Nameless! My kid's have it from time to time! :thumbs

Funny, I don't remember our offensive line EVER being incapable of run blocking...until Cally came on the scene.  We've taken good run blockers and converted them to inept pass AND run blockers.  Great going Pedy and Cally!

Really? Then how do you explain the blowout losses to Colorado and Miami in 2001, Penn St, Iowa St, Kansas St, Colordo in 2002, Texas, Missouri and Kansas St in 2003. Or do we only count run blocking against Troy St, Utah St, McNeese St, So Miss??

Explain how we were outscored 123-325 in those 9 blowout losses if run blocking wasn't a problem? It sure as hell wasn't our passing game now was it?

At least we could beat Kansas in all those years!

This is a qoute when Callahan talked about his WCO in the preseason of his first year at Nebraska.

"We Take what We Want"

This is what Callahan said yesterday.

"Every game that we go into, we try and establish a running game and have a balance in our attack," Callahan said. "Sometimes we’re fortunate to do that, and sometimes we’re not"

I dont remember the Oline giving up 62 points to CU (had a very good day offensively that game :thumbs ) or 37 points to Miami, or 48 points to KState..etc.etc.etc.

But lets not let the truth get in the way of a good story here :dumdum

I dont remember the Oline giving up 62 points to CU (had a very good day offensively that game :thumbs ) or 37 points to Miami, or 48 points to KState..etc.etc.etc.

In 01 against CU the blame can be placed on the D, not the o-line.

However...

I recall the offense scoring 1 offensive touchdown against Miami. 259 yards total.

I remember in 02 against K-St. getting 13 points on 231 yards.

I recall in 02 against ISU, 14 points on 273 yards.

Crap, even against ASU in 02 in a 48-10 game, the offense only gained 315 total yards.

Against Southern Miss. in 03, they won 38-14, but only had 265 yards total.

Against Texas in 03, the team could only muster 175 yards total and only 53 yards rushing.

Offensive Line woes have become more and more frequent and this season they seem to have boiled over. If you want to say that the line problems are Callahan and Wagner's fault, just consider the fact that Tenopir, Cotton and Solich had problems too. Lord knows the line play will have to improve for this team to get any sort of momentum. It would be rather ironic if offensive line troubles became the downfall of Callahan here, since that was his coaching position and expertise for many years.

However...

I recall the offense scoring 1 offensive touchdown against Miami. 259 yards total.

Crap, even against ASU in 02 in a 48-10 game, the offense only gained 315 total yards.

Against Texas in 03, the team could only muster 175 yards total and only 53 yards rushing.

Offensive Line woes have become more and more frequent and this season they seem to have boiled over. If you want to say that the line problems are Callahan and Wagner's fault, just consider the fact that Tenopir, Cotton and Solich had problems too. Lord knows the line play will have to improve for this team to get any sort of momentum. It would be rather ironic if offensive line troubles became the downfall of Callahan here, since that was his coaching position and expertise for many years.

Noted :thumbs

That would be very ironic indeed if it will lead to his demise. <_<

However...

Nice stats. Now compare them to what our offense is averaging for the entire year this year. According to ESPN, NU as an offense is averaging less than 300 yards/game in total offense. Now look at your blowouts from the past. Some offensive performances worse than this year, some were better. In blowout losses, our offense was just about as good as this year's entire offensive performance and we've played cupcake games like Maine, WF, and Pitt.

Of the teams we've beaten so far Baylor is ranked 68th, Pitt is ranked 75th, WF is ranked 76th, ISU is ranked 35th, and I'm not going to take the time to look up D2 and see where Maine is ranked. Don't you think with these stellar opponents our O could be averaging 300+ yards/game?

Now let's look at our losses. The only team ranked in the top 25 is TT. OU is ranked 28th, Mizzou is ranked 40th, and Kansas is ranked 53rd.

The fact that we have the 108th ranked offense despite only playing one top 25 team thus far is pitiful. When we lost to Miami, they were the number 1 ranked team in the nation and won the NC. We have not even come close to playing one team this year in the same caliber as Miami that year. In 2002, our offense was crap. And, it showed as we finished the season 7 and 7. In 2003 I believe Texas was a top 10 ranked team. Again, we haven't played anyone except maybe TT as good as Texas was that year.

You pick and choose stats from a select few games from over 3 seasons. How did we end up those seasons statistically? So far this year, we know we are 108th ranked offensively. We know we average less than 300 yards/game. I'm sure our SOS isn't any better than the 3 years listed and is probably softer than in 01, 02, and 03.

Every starter we have on O line is a Solich recruit.If Im not mistaken. <_<

Solich recruited Murtha?

However...

Just wondering, what do you think those totals would look like this season? JMO, the huskers wouldn't cross midfield against Texas or Miami. And the offense of late would not do as well against ASU or even So Miss, those totals would be enviable today.

Ah, the good ol' days. <_<;)

The huskers will be back.

GO CALLY!! :worship

Four more years!

Four more years!

Four more years!

:bounce:bounce:bounce:bounce

Every starter we have on O line is a Solich recruit.If Im not mistaken. <_<

Solich recruited Murtha?

That is what I was wondering? I thought Solich recruited Swift who was a teammate of Murtha's in HS. Then the BC crew came in and, along with Swift's help, got Murtha away from Minnesota and to NU.

Nice stats. Now compare them to what our offense is averaging for the entire year this year. According to ESPN, NU as an offense is averaging less than 300 yards/game in total offense. Now look at your blowouts from the past. Some offensive performances worse than this year, some were better. In blowout losses, our offense was just about as good as this year's entire offensive performance and we've played cupcake games like Maine, WF, and Pitt.

Of the teams we've beaten so far Baylor is ranked 68th, Pitt is ranked 75th, WF is ranked 76th, ISU is ranked 35th, and I'm not going to take the time to look up D2 and see where Maine is ranked. Don't you think with these stellar opponents our O could be averaging 300+ yards/game?

Now let's look at our losses. The only team ranked in the top 25 is TT. OU is ranked 28th, Mizzou is ranked 40th, and Kansas is ranked 53rd.

The fact that we have the 108th ranked offense despite only playing one top 25 team thus far is pitiful. When we lost to Miami, they were the number 1 ranked team in the nation and won the NC. We have not even come close to playing one team this year in the same caliber as Miami that year. In 2002, our offense was crap. And, it showed as we finished the season 7 and 7. In 2003 I believe Texas was a top 10 ranked team. Again, we haven't played anyone except maybe TT as good as Texas was that year.

You pick and choose stats from a select few games from over 3 seasons. How did we end up those seasons statistically? So far this year, we know we are 108th ranked offensively. We know we average less than 300 yards/game. I'm sure our SOS isn't any better than the 3 years listed and is probably softer than in 01, 02, and 03.

I am not in disagreement with you here or trying to defend this year's O. The offense has been horrid this season. The offense should have been able to do more than it has all season. I was just trying to show that a trend has been set in motion all the way back then. Hence, why I "pick and chose" the games that I did.

I would equate the Kansas game of this year to the Texas game in 03. Kansas' defense is rated higher than UT's was then. If we played Texas this season, we might put up 2 or 3 td's on them, but our defense would probably give up 5 or 6.

I disagree with your statement that this year's team has not faced a defense like the 01 team did in Miami. Kansas' defense is rated 5th in the country in yards allowed and is top 15 in points allowed. Pretty stout. Texas Tech is 2 slots behind them in points allowed. Pitt, TT, KU, OU and ISU are all in the top 25 in yardage allowed.

I would agree that the SOS for this year is lower than in most years, but 2002 and 2003 were both pretty soft.

Lots of things have happened to arrive at our current point, injuries(some life threatening(Schuler)), family issues, anger problems(Richie), and guys that just didn't pan out like we hoped for. The backups on the line are mainly freshman and sophomores and there are several; and even more kids coming in next year, so things are looking up.