5 Bold Predictions for Taylor Martinez

How many times do I have to say "not to downplay it"...haha. It's great and he can do great things with it. The fact that he can do so much damage with that asset alone still doesn't make him the kind of runner who jukes or weaves his way through traffic. That's all. I agree with you completely about the option, use it real or dump it (or at least relegate it to "trick play", reverse type usage, several times a year tops).

And i'm not dreaming up strawmen here, unless I've woefully misinterpreted skersfan's comments.

How many times do I have to say "not to downplay it"...haha. It's great and he can do great things with it. The fact that he can do so much damage with that asset alone still doesn't make him the kind of runner who jukes or weaves his way through traffic. That's all. I agree with you completely about the option, use it real or dump it (or at least relegate it to "trick play", reverse type usage, several times a year tops).

And i'm not dreaming up strawmen here, unless I've woefully misinterpreted skersfan's comments.

Ok, you're right that he's not going to juke and weave his way through traffic as he sadly doesn't have that skill. But that gap speed, oh boy.....if it's "really" back we're going to be buying each other 40 ice cold ones for sure.

Maybe I miss-read the intent of your comment (such a massive surprise, huh?). Sorry zoogies.

Grobe, sorry, has done more with less than any coach in the NCAA. Osborne wanted him badly, but the Watson card was the breaker, so I guess I must be as stupid as our current AD.

Ah yes, the know it alls.

1. This post reeks of irony.

2. Schools aren't exactly beating down the door to hire Jim. He had 1-2 good years in a really bad ACC. You are the first (and only) person I've ever heard insinuate that Osborne truly wanted Grobe, and the Watson thing was a total head scratcher.

Been on this board for a long time. Used to be one of the the swallow anything lemmings, did not want Bo as our coach, still think we would be far better off if we could have gotten Groeb. Have changed my mind on Bo, still think he is in way over his head, but he keeps climbing so hopefully he will make it.

Always say it like I see it, look at things in the larger picture than most on here. Other things to life than just Nebraska football. Been a loyal fan for many many many years. Just do not buy all the coach speak anymore. Before I buy in again, I want to see it on the field and we have been short on that side for quite awhile.

Still say at this point in his career he is far ahead of any of the others in spite of Bo and Watson and Beck and the lumps of coal given him to work with. Hopefully he turns them all into diamonds this year, but I have my doubts, but the one thing I do not doubt, it will all be Taylor's fault if we lose, not so much if we win.

But you buy into any Taylor hype wholesale, even to the extent where you will blame the coaches, the lines, the receivers, the assistants, and everybody but Taylor if Taylor should not end up being the best ever. That's absurd.

I respect your "let's be real" and "let's look at the larger picture" viewpoints, but really, they just seem to be different flavors of opinion and not fundamentally better ways of looking at things. Which you seem to be implying.

druski - great post, you put it better than I ever could have. Taylor has phenomenal skills for the zone read, and his acceleration shouldn't be discounted, but it is one of many attributes a runner can have, let's not forget that. Taylor can do a ton of damage with just that but let's be real and not pretend he is the shakiest, bakiest, power-up-the-middle, glorious field vision guy of all time as well.

Very interested in seeing where we are going with the offense this year. Again, I hope it's a ton of ZR as our bread and butter. Go Big Red ;)

Haha....my good friend, you can dream up straw-men like no other. As always, you make unreal gap-speed sound like just a marginal at best asset (it is one of many attributes a runner can have, let's not forget that).....lol! Vintage zoogies.

But that's ok as I''m with you, bring on the zone read! Some lateral option is just fine too. Practice makes perfect and either use it real or dump it imo. It's just not something you use very occasionally to be "multiple". Tim, trust me.....you don't want to be SW. Some miss-direction out of the diamond is another thing I would kill for. I remember Beck using that "once" & whoever that opponent was (10 second memory span in gear here) just sh*t their pants.

We'll have fun this year, compadre'.

GBR!!

Well...the triple option where we ran it with burkhead, abdullah and Martinez. We scored a TD against Michigan. Hoke and is d-coordinator just shook their heads......priceless. WE NEED TO RUN THAT PLAY MORE! Yet....I don't think the play was out of the diamond. The RB's were on either side of Martinez.

Ok, you're right that he's not going to juke and weave his way through traffic as he sadly doesn't have that skill. But that gap speed, oh boy.....if it's "really" back we're going to be buying each other 40 ice cold ones for sure.

Maybe I miss-read the intent of your comment (such a massive surprise, huh?). Sorry zoogies.

If Martinez has that full-unreal, killer speed back, he will be a major threat.

The only bad thing about Taylor Martinez, when it comes to being a mobile QB. He isn't shifty. He is a straight line runner. I've hardly ever seen him make cutbacks or weave through defenders. He'll either tuck the ball, stiff arm, or spin. Because of that, he isn't up their talent wise when you compare him to Robinson or Miller or any other mobile QB in the Big Ten. When it comes to speed and explosiveness, Martinez ranks up in the Top 3, but it comes to mobility and agility, he goes down a few pegs to Top 7.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=21mYRtUmc8k

You mean like this 70 degree cut they broke down for ESPN sports science? Yeah, he's TOTALLY unshifty...he can't cut on a dime at all. I'm pretty sure the zone read made it so he DIDN'T have to cut much at all...which is why people seem to think he can't do it.

This guy is a GREAT athlete. People need to realize it.

He can cut, yet he doesn't have explosive juke moves of a D-Robison.....which is fine. I am the biggest T-Mart fan and if he has his speed back, he is going to do some damage this season as long as the o-line holds up. Also....I noticed his cutting agility was not as apparent last year. I think that was due to him not being fully recovered from his high ankle sprain. Just my two cents...

Coach Osborne, wanted to keep Watson and Grobe wanted to keep no one and bring his entire staff. That was the deal breaker for him. Of course still feel the Pelini deal was already done and they were just going through the movements.

I had actually wanted Pat Hill at Fresno State, but that might not have turned out well either.

So far Pelini has done okay, he is learning, growing up both as a coach and a person. I am happy he is here, just do not expect the things from that others do. He is not a great coach, he is adequate and hopefully will grow into the great coach we need. He has a fantastic teacher in his corner, and it seems he is listening to him.

I do not blame the staff, I put the comment on the fans, because if Taylor fails, most, like on here will blame him for it.

Coach Osborne, wanted to keep Watson and Grobe wanted to keep no one and bring his entire staff. That was the deal breaker for him. Of course still feel the Pelini deal was already done and they were just going through the movements.

I had actually wanted Pat Hill at Fresno State, but that might not have turned out well either.

So far Pelini has done okay, he is learning, growing up both as a coach and a person. I am happy he is here, just do not expect the things from that others do. He is not a great coach, he is adequate and hopefully will grow into the great coach we need. He has a fantastic teacher in his corner, and it seems he is listening to him.

I do not blame the staff, I put the comment on the fans, because if Taylor fails, most, like on here will blame him for it.

Jim Grobe lost to Bill Callahan... twice.

No way in hell was he a serious candidate.

^ yeah (and those were in his best years) - even in those years he was still losing to almost every ranked team he played. Since Grobe has been at WF, he has beaten a total of 6 ranked teams (03' NC State #14, 06' Boston C. #16, 06' G. Tech #22, 07' FSU #21, 08' FSU #25, 11' #22 FSU).

6 ranked teams, and not highly ranked ones at that - over the course of 10 years. It's a different level of football entirely at Nebraska. Grobe has had some downright awful seasons at WF in the last 4-5 years. The fact that he was even a candidate is scary. We'd be on our next coach already if he had been hired. So rather than Pelini going into his 5th year, we'd have someone like Randy Edsall, or All Golden going into their second year. Wonder where Pelini would be?

Jim Grobe lost to Bill Callahan... twice.

No way in hell was he a serious candidate.

Agreed but lets not beat our chests too loudly for not losing to Wake Forest!!! I mean really!! :D

A couple of plays made the game, Wake Forest statisically beat us and quite badly if I remember correctly. It was closer than the score for sure.

Talent wins games, not coaches, Clownahan had more talent, but for a few mistakes on WF's young kids it could have been different.

I still think a more experienced, traveled head coach would have been better for Nebraska. Bo may end up being a great coach, but he is not at this time. Will he learn what is needed to run the program, teach the assitant head coaches, be able to recruit with Ohio State or Michigan are the questions. If he can not then he will be gone. I think he can do everything but the last obstacle. .

I think he is good person, a good DC in over his head. We will know more this year about his future at Nebraska. He needs to win this year, the ones he is supposed to win, play tough in the others, not get run out of the stadium and no more Northwestern games. He does that this year, he will be here until he decides to leave. More big losses and the typical lose to a nobody again this year and he will have a hot seat no question.

I think this is going to be a tough year, I really do not know why I am so down on this year, but just see it turning out far below what most are looking for.

That is the reason you play the games.

^ yeah (and those were in his best years) - even in those years he was still losing to almost every ranked team he played. Since Grobe has been at WF, he has beaten a total of 6 ranked teams (03' NC State #14, 06' Boston C. #16, 06' G. Tech #22, 07' FSU #21, 08' FSU #25, 11' #22 FSU).

6 ranked teams, and not highly ranked ones at that - over the course of 10 years. It's a different level of football entirely at Nebraska. Grobe has had some downright awful seasons at WF in the last 4-5 years. The fact that he was even a candidate is scary. We'd be on our next coach already if he had been hired. So rather than Pelini going into his 5th year, we'd have someone like Randy Edsall, or All Golden going into their second year. Wonder where Pelini would be?

Might be fun to speculate...

How about this:

2008: NU hires Grobe. Pelini stays at LSU. LSU goes 8-5 (as in reality), but this time the administration does not resist the fans' unrest, knowing Pelini is ready for a HC job. They show Les Miles the door and promote Pelini. Miles ends up replacing Fulmer at Tennesse, making some LSU fans nervous that he stayed in the SEC. Miles was also in consideration for Auburn, Boston College, and Purdue. He wishes he would have taken the Michigan job the year before. Lane Kiffin, fired from the Raiders, never gets a HC job, and the douche is never heard from again, other than being a whiny assistant somewhere. Grobe goes 5-7 with NU, but after being jaded by the Callahan years, there is not a great uproar yet.

2009: Pelini goes 9-4 at LSU. Grobe goes 5-7 again at NU. Osborne, having just hired and invested in a guy he respects, does not want to fire Grobe, but it is clearly not working out. Meanwhile, Turner Gill had been courted by Auburn the year before and was now fielding potential offers from other schools, including Kansas. Osborne decided to pull the trigger, firing Grobe and hiring his good friend Gill.

2010: Gill goes 9-4 in his first year, without having to flip an entire culture as he would have at Kansas, with Zac Lee having a good senior season. He loses to Texas, Okie St, Mizzou, and TAMU but gets a victory over Iowa in the Insight Bowl. Pelini goes 9-4 again with LSU. By virtue of OSU and MU winning over NU in this reality, those two meet in the Big XII Championship game. Ratings suck. Oklahoma's self esteem is even lower, and the Big XII's angst is at an all-time high with NU and CU already on the way out.

With OU hurt, and OSU emboldened, they begin an uprising in the conference and finally stand up to Texas. Texas decides to go independent, TAMU goes to the SEC, Mizzou stays, and the Big XII adds TCU, BYU, and Boise, to begin in 2012.

2011: NU and LSU are both 9-4 again. With LSU not in the National Championship picture, Oklahoma State faces Bama in the NC game (losing, of course). Without the added controversy of the rematch we saw in reality, there is no impetus from the BCS Presidents to entertain any idea of a playoff. The regular BCS format is extended through the year 3000.

Having been emboldened by the football coaching change, Osborne decides to pull the trigger on Doc Sadler as well and hires a top-notch replacement. NU basketball begins to rebuild a year ahead of schedule.

2012: Urban Meyer's return to coaching falls flat, PSU goes into a decline from which it will never recover, and Turner Gill's NU team goes 13-1, losing only in an upset to Michigan State the week after a hard fought comeback win versus Michigan (in a game in which Denard Robinson is hurt, eerily similar to the 2011 Ohio State game). NU is Big Ten champs and beats Oregon in the Rose Bowl. Pelini goes 8-5 with LSU, and their fans start to grumble. The National Championship game features West Virginia, having gone undefeated in a crappy Big East that they never left, losing to Oklahoma.

After the season, Oregon, Alabama, Auburn, and Ohio State are rocked by major recruiting scandals. Ohio State, already on probation, gets the death penalty. Oregon's entire staff is fired in the fallout. Scott Frost returns home to take an assistant job under Turner Gill. With Bama and Auburn now crippled, LSU fans don't feel so bad about Pelini, and he gets an extension.

2013: Nebraska dominates the Big Ten and beats independent Texas for the National Championship. Taylor Martinez wins the Heisman. LSU wins the SEC, but the damaged conference does not produce another NC contender. Nebraska Basketball also wins the Big Ten. Osborne retires for good.

2014: Due to the pervasive corruption in all of college football, except Nebraska of course, and the worsening information about concussions in the sport, the NCAA and majority of schools abruptly cancel all football-related activities at the college level, pending further research and regulations. Nebraska is forever regarded is the last, and best, champion in the annals of college football history.

I think this is going to be a tough year, I really do not know why I am so down on this year, but just see it turning out far below what most are looking for.

Huh, you would never glean such information with what you post.

• Fire 2