Obama urges tighter background checks on gun buyers

like is such a ambivalent term; what are you not telling us??

knapp is conflicted too. Love/Danger oooooooooo

sorry; you guys are trying to have a serious discussion and I am anything but a serious discussionist???

I think weapons probably need their own category without any political influence :D

Not that I don't believe in the gallup poll; just feel there are too many variables left on the table. not unlike government stats.

Thats fine, they can ban them, after I get my rifles, and I'm on my 10 acres northwest of Rapid City...

that is the other thing. different areas deserve different gun laws. new york city is a different world than (the wild) west river.

Exactly, but now I'm in Hell Jersey, and I've only got another 3 or 4 months before I can get my license to go buy my rifles. Too many dipsh*ts around here thinking they're in a gangster rap video, and I'm not going to be unprepared...

Since the Brady Act requiring background checks which are supposed to be done; 1998 to 2010 149 million checks have been done. Same FBI info violent crime from 1991 to 2010 all violent crime has dropped murder from 9,8 to 4.3 per 100k, etc. Yet, the population has increased. How can this be you say. Has it been due to some superduper gun laws, no. Has it been do to less people, no.

Two things increased: population and the number of people buying guns. just sayin'

Unprecedented drops in crime rate began, basically, in 1991 and continue up to the present day. Mostly due to decline in crack epidemic and increasing rates of incarceration. Access to guns and changes in gun laws had almost no effect in either direction. Decent explanation: http://pricetheory.uchicago.edu/levitt/Papers/LevittUnderstandingWhyCrime2004.pdf

Since the Brady Act requiring background checks which are supposed to be done; 1998 to 2010 149 million checks have been done. Same FBI info violent crime from 1991 to 2010 all violent crime has dropped murder from 9,8 to 4.3 per 100k, etc. Yet, the population has increased. How can this be you say. Has it been due to some superduper gun laws, no. Has it been do to less people, no.

Two things increased: population and the number of people buying guns. just sayin'

Unprecedented drops in crime rate began, basically, in 1991 and continue up to the present day. Mostly due to decline in crack epidemic and increasing rates of incarceration. Access to guns and changes in gun laws had almost no effect in either direction. Decent explanation: http://pricetheory.u...hyCrime2004.pdf

Don't confuse the argument with facts. :lol:

Unprecedented drops in crime rate began, basically, in 1991 and continue up to the present day. Mostly due to decline in crack epidemic and increasing rates of incarceration. Access to guns and changes in gun laws had almost no effect in either direction. Decent explanation: http://pricetheory.u...hyCrime2004.pdf

Not in Tulsa, Ok.

And the framers of the constitution believed in a small, limited in scope and power, federal government with the states holding the majority of power...

The only problem being that this isn't true. You don't even need to go into the writings of the founder to see that it isn't true. It's right in the Constitution itself.

Yet another example of the alternative reality theory. :(

The founder? So there was only one? . And the Federalist Papers, which is what our Constitution is based on, clearly articulated a limited federal government.

Carlfense demonstrates yet another example of the alternative reality theory.

• Fire 1

And the framers of the constitution believed in a small, limited in scope and power, federal government with the states holding the majority of power...

How do you reconcile the underlined with Article VI Clause 2?

Specifically, how can you argue that the framers intended for the states to hold "the majority of power" when they specifically gave the federal government supreme authority?

You can quote whatever you'd like from the Federalist Papers. I've read them as well. They don't change what is said in the Constitution itself.