Obama urges tighter background checks on gun buyers

Not like their not difficult already in Nazi Jersey. I'm just about 2 months into my 6 month expected wait, just to get my license to go buy my rifle. Meanwhile, there are hoodrat a$$hole$ running around, pulling home invasions.

I know why he's introducing this, and I feel horrible for the people the victims of this, but here's the thing. He's saying this because he has to. One of the reasons this was so bad, is because he didn't have a "record" and he wasn't as likely to go shoot up a theater. More often then not, it seems the actions like this are worse due to the fact that nobody saw it coming.

This was a horrible act, but two kids got shot in Newark last night, night before a 4 year old boy got shot in the Bronx. If you want to make a difference, get the guns out of the hands of those that have records or purchase them illegally.

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/ticket/obama-urges-tighter-background-checks-gun-buyers-aurora-033815400.html

Not like their not difficult already in Nazi Jersey. I'm just about 2 months into my 6 month expected wait, just to get my license to go buy my rifle.

Whoa! 6 month wait in Jersey for a rifle? I guess Nebraska is the good life because we can walk into any wal-mart and walk out with a rifle 30 minutes later. (That . . . and we can buy beer and liquor at gas stations.)

Meanwhile, there are hoodrat a$$hole$ running around, pulling home invasions.

I know why he's introducing this, and I feel horrible for the people the victims of this, but here's the thing. He's saying this because he has to. One of the reasons this was so bad, is because he didn't have a "record" and he wasn't as likely to go shoot up a theater. More often then not, it seems the actions like this are worse due to the fact that nobody saw it coming.

This was a horrible act, but two kids got shot in Newark last night, night before a 4 year old boy got shot in the Bronx. If you want to make a difference, get the guns out of the hands of those that have records or purchase them illegally.

http://news.yahoo.co...-033815400.html

Agreed.

Gun control is a tough nut to crack. I personally would prefer to carry a pistol/handgun with me in certain situations in public, but also know there are people who shouldnt be allowed to even own a bb gun. Finding a way to prevent somone from a random act of violence is pretty tough. It is pretty easy to make a weapon with over th counter materials that can hurt a lot of people. Like the bombs in the Aurora guys apartment. Gun laws seldom restrict a person from using guns for evil intentions, usually it prevents people from owning a weapon that could be used for self defense or for their own recreational use. I think a better solution is gun licenses or gun ownership courses. Like a car license a gun ownership license would allow state or local governments to control gun use, while still preserving the right to have firearms. Have ATF/FBI assist with backround checks and other assistance that would prevent felons and other people who shouldnt have guns from moving from one state to the next to acquire weapons.

I can't imagine a situation where I would need to have a weapon on me in public. Where you coming from there, Ziggy? Certain parts of town, certain times of day/night?

There are a few tacos trucks that I've been known to frequent in South Omaha . . . and a rib joint in North Omaha . . . where I'd feel a lot more comfortable packing.

That said, I've often considered when/how it could actually be useful to carry a gun. The only time I'd draw it is if an assailant had a weapon but if I have a gun pointed at me it's probably not wise to try to draw my own. I guess if the assailant had a knife . . . ?

I can't imagine a situation where I would need to have a weapon on me in public. Where you coming from there, Ziggy? Certain parts of town, certain times of day/night?

I live in Maryland, work at a place where people would love to steal from and is near Baltimore and DC, and not fair from a few smaller cities. So mostly I would carry to and from work and have in a safe location while I was in my office.

Living in Lincoln is a different life, so my view on that is (I'm sure) very different from yours, and others'.

Not that anywhere in Nebraska is that dangerous (at least when compared to Opa Locka, East St. Louis, etc.) but Lincoln always felt particularly safe. Even in T-Town or 17th and D it's hard to imagine a situation where I would want to be carrying.

Living in Lincoln is a different life, so my view on that is (I'm sure) very different from yours, and others'.

Not that anywhere in Nebraska is that dangerous (at least when compared to Opa Locka, East St. Louis, etc.) but Lincoln always felt particularly safe. Even in T-Town or 17th and D it's hard to imagine a situation where I would want to be carrying.

Exactly. T-Town or 17th & D wouldn't even register in the top 1000 most dangerous places in this country. I never felt like I needed a gun anywhere in Lincoln. Of course that was 25-30 years ago but I doubt that much has changed. Prior to a week ago, I would've never thought about needing to carry into a Colorado movie theatre either. Random acts like these are incredibly tough to find real solutions for. Tighter background checks would not have prevented it. Banning guns will not prevent anyone so inclined from obtaining a gun. Unless a person is planning on packing 24-7, concealed carry probably would not have prevented this tragedy. I'm not against CC but it stands to reason that the more people that CC, the odds of somebody (and not always the correct person) being shot are going to increase. There is just not much that can be done to eliminate the possiblity of these types of random acts from happening. But I am sure we will undergo a period of renewed calls for stricter gun laws. I'm not really an NRA type but I do think law abiding citizens should have the ability to have guns for sport, recreation, and self defense and I do believe that if we outlaw guns, only outlaws will have guns. If I was so inclined, I could kill someone with a 2x4. I don't think that means 2x4's should be illegal.

i just do not see how carrying a gun would help the average american (there are exceptions, such as late-night liquor store clerks). a criminal pulls a gun on you, you pull a gun on him, then what? this is not the o.k. corral. and someone carrying a gun definitely would not have helped the aurora travesty.

Think of several dozen people in that theater being armed, pulling out their guns and firing back at the shooter. In a crowded theater like that, you're talking about doubling the number of dead and wounded, if not more.

If you're packing a gun and you get robbed, and the guy's got a gun, your weapon may as well be back home in the gun case because by the time you pull that thing out, take the safety off and aim, he's already shot you twice. You're not going to become some quick-draw artist and shoot the gun from his hand. If he's got a knife you may be OK, but that's about the only practical application I can see.

Bottom line on this is that the Constitution permits gun ownership, the American Public agrees, and the SCOTUS has ruled on the matter repeatedly. While I am a gun owner, I see no reason to own an AK-47. I can protect myself just fine with what I have. Gun ownership in the Constitution has noting to do with what's suitable for hunting..