Obama urges tighter background checks on gun buyers

How about a background check on people to watch movies?

guns don't kill people, movies kill people? is that your argument?

It was a sarcastic response to the typical overreaction to these things. If a woman was standing on the street corner and a serial killer approached her would he be less likely to attack her if he noticed she had a gun hanging out of her purse? Let's say we have laws in place that prohibit guns being sold period. It might have slowed this guy down...or he might have just taken another page out of the Dark Knight film and made a homemade bomb and planted it in the theatre. These guys find their way to create chaos. So what's to stop the governement from laying down laws against movies being made with certain levels of violence (other than the multi millions that movie companies make...)

I know it's a stretch. The point I was making is that we can't prevent all this crap from happening...hell that was the point of Batman Begins. As they cracked down on crime more and Batman became more advanced the criminals followed suit. Guns or no guns these kind of people will find ways to destroy people's lives.

We certainly can't prevent it, but if we banned guns these kinds of events would diminish simply out of difficulty of getting your hands on these weapons.

If someone is intent on harming others you simply cannot stop them. All you can do is attempt to limit their ability to do so. If that limiting process dissuades even half of these people, it's a success.

Yeah, not an ideal situation. Given that, what weapon would you want in that situation? Normally, I'd want to have a 1911. But a 45 bullet would go through the shooter, and then through walls and any two or three people in its path. Too much gun. I think I'd opt for a Beretta 380. Like the Model 92FS. Decent barrel length, so it would be easier to hit a target. And the 9mm round wouldn't go through other people, walls, etc. OTOH, if the guy was wearing body armor I'd go with back to the 1911, or a hopped up 357. (Assuming it has to be a pistol so you could conceal it.)

Not being a handgun fan, in that particular situation, I'd either have to go 10mm or .40 cal...

I'd be in big trouble walking in w/ an m-4 or pump action...

• Fire 1

How about a background check on people to watch movies?

guns don't kill people, movies kill people? is that your argument?

It was a sarcastic response to the typical overreaction to these things. If a woman was standing on the street corner and a serial killer approached her would he be less likely to attack her if he noticed she had a gun hanging out of her purse? Let's say we have laws in place that prohibit guns being sold period. It might have slowed this guy down...or he might have just taken another page out of the Dark Knight film and made a homemade bomb and planted it in the theatre. These guys find their way to create chaos. So what's to stop the governement from laying down laws against movies being made with certain levels of violence (other than the multi millions that movie companies make...)

I know it's a stretch. The point I was making is that we can't prevent all this crap from happening...hell that was the point of Batman Begins. As they cracked down on crime more and Batman became more advanced the criminals followed suit. Guns or no guns these kind of people will find ways to destroy people's lives.

i agree to a certain extent, but the argument you are making is that why even having laws that make murder illegal? people are still going to kill. all i am saying is that there should be some regulations to make mass killings harder. what is the purpose of anyone owning an ar-15 or any assault rifle with an extended clip? if the mere possession of such weapons was illegal, it would certainly give law enforcement more options to prevent such crimes.

Why don't we just enforce the thousands of regulations we already have? Once those start working we can start talking about having more. In the mean time let's not start punishing people who don't break the laws.

like innocent moviegoers?

what regulations are you talking about? again, what is the point of a civilian owning an ar-15 with an extended mag.?

Why don't we just enforce the thousands of regulations we already have? Once those start working we can start talking about having more. In the mean time let's not start punishing people who don't break the laws.

what regulations are you talking about? again, what is the point of a civilian owning an ar-15 with an extended mag.?

Like people who use guns responsibly and within rule of the law but would have their property taken away for crimes they didn't commit.

I'm talking about the thousands of gun regulations that currently exist in the United States.

I guess you'd have to ask someone who owns an AR-15 with an extended mag. Personally, I'd stick with the 5 or 10 round magazine if I owned one. Anything more would hurt the ol' pocket book.

Like people who use guns responsibly and within rule of the law but would have their property taken away for crimes they didn't commit.

I'm talking about the thousands of gun regulations that currently exist in the United States.

I guess you'd have to ask someone who owns an AR-15 with an extended mag. Personally, I'd stick with the 5 or 10 round magazine if I owned one. Anything more would hurt the ol' pocket book.

oh, *those* regulations.

i do not think anyone wants all guns to be banned, just the one's only used to kill large groups of people.

Not sure who we could depend on to enforce any new regulations. ATF and DOJ wouldn't be able to - they have shown that when it comes to keeping track of guns (especially fully automatic assault weapons), they are only interested in covering their butts. And they aren't too good at that either.

• Fire 1

Why don't we just enforce the thousands of regulations we already have? Once those start working we can start talking about having more.

Which firearms regulations that exist and aren't enforced are you talking about?

I hear this talking point a lot . . . but I've never actually seen these laws/regulations. Could you help me out?

Why don't we just enforce the thousands of regulations we already have? Once those start working we can start talking about having more.

Which firearms regulations that exist and aren't enforced are you talking about?

I hear this talking point a lot . . . but I've never actually seen these laws/regulations. Could you help me out?

I should have said enforce effectively. The point is people break the existing gun laws, creating more laws only effect the people who actually follow them.

I have nothing against guns, but I do not own one either. I honestly think the first thing people need to do after buying a gun, is taking a gun safety/training class or two.

I'm also of a mind that most people are not psychologically prepared for carrying a concealed weapon and using in appropriately. Let alone drawing and taking down another armed person. A scene from a recent Newsroom episode comes to mind. Too many people running around with a lot of false bravado. I'm sure BRI, or a few other members who have been military or police could lend insight to the mental readiness part of things.