Chick-fil-A

has this happened? i think it has been all talk. but my favorite argument is, 'if you don't like it, don't do it'. you can not legislate morality or acceptance. i agree this is all silly. but the mayors and such have their right to voice their displeasure of such businesses operating under their jurisdictions.

Actually, some mayors have threatened to not allow "such businesses" to gain the necessary permits to open stores in their jurisdictions. That's a typical liberal ploy - use the power of Government to threaten people who they disagree with. Since making the threats, most of the political thugs have backed down when they realized that their threats were illegal. I especiall like Rahm Emanuel's comment about Ciick-fil-A's values not being Chicago values. He's right...murder is not on the restaurant's menu.

This ^^

To hold up Chicago's "values" as some sort of mystical standard invites the inevitable sarcasm.......

Here is the thing. Get over your personal feelings and look at it without choosing sides. Take away the bigotry and homophobic rhetoric and what are you really left with? A government entity, using view point discrimination (not my words, actually the head of the Illinois ACLU) to disallow a private business from obtaining a revenue, occupancy or building permit to conduct a lawful business. What if an evangelical mayor decided that a company that supports a "non Christian" view was disallowed to open a business in his city or county? What if a govt official was anti gun and because a company sold firearms or ammunition or firearms accessories they were not allowed to operate. That my friends, on either side of the aisle, is real discrimination. Stating your platform, popular, PC or not, is not discrimination, or bigotry etc..., it is called free speech and Constitutional and appears to be something that Chicago, San Fran, Philly, Boston and others have forgotten. This is America. A company, individual or business can believe what they want, say what they want and provide monies to what ever NGO they choose.

Folks don't like it, don't eat there. Just don't get sucked into thinking it is an attack on homosexuality or Christianity depending on your views. It is an attack, by elected officials on our personal freedoms. This is what the outrage should be about. Gay, straight, black, white, Christian, Jew, Muslim, rich, poor etc can be infringed upon just as easily. Cities allowed to use view point discrimination and it sets a precedent for the next guy. What if the "next guy" opposes your view?

I agree. The government should not be taking any action against Chick-Fil-A because of the company president's views on gay marriage. If private citizens want to avoid the chain because they disagree with the president's views . . . that's fine. Elected officials acting in their official capacity are a different matter entirely.

As a side note: it will be interesting to see how the views of the ACLU change as the culture war winds change.

• Fire 3

has this happened? i think it has been all talk. but my favorite argument is, 'if you don't like it, don't do it'. you can not legislate morality or acceptance. i agree this is all silly. but the mayors and such have their right to voice their displeasure of such businesses operating under their jurisdictions.

Actually, some mayors have threatened to not allow "such businesses" to gain the necessary permits to open stores in their jurisdictions. That's a typical liberal ploy - use the power of Government to threaten people who they disagree with. Since making the threats, most of the political thugs have backed down when they realized that their threats were illegal. I especiall like Rahm Emanuel's comment about Ciick-fil-A's values not being Chicago values. He's right...murder is not on the restaurant's menu.

so what i said was right. thanks for pointing that out.

I agree. The government should not be taking any action against Chick-Fil-A because of the company president's views on gay marriage. If private citizens want to avoid the chain because they disagree with the president's views . . . that's fine. Elected officials acting in their official capacity are a different matter entirely.

As a side note: it will be interesting to see how the views of the ACLU change as the culture war winds change.

I would agree with this but also would add the other side of the coin to it. If private citizens want to support the chain because they agree with what Chick-fil-a's president is representing...that's fine also. I don't see where it serves any purpose to compare the people who came out in support of CFA to the "whites only" lunch counter or even to try to claim they're against gays having equal rights.

I would agree with this but also would add the other side of the coin to it. If private citizens want to support the chain because they agree with what Chick-fil-a's president is representing...that's fine also. I don't see where it serves any purpose to compare the people who came out in support of CFA to the "whites only" lunch counter or even to try to claim they're against gays having equal rights.

Totally agree with the bold. I didn't mean to imply otherwise.

That said, if someone opposes same sex marriage they do oppose gays having equal rights.

I think the bigger issue here is the fact Chick fil A is closed on Sundays. I don't know about you guys but after a hard night of drinking on Saturday night, I want some chick fil a the cure my ills

Personally, I go to Church's religiously every Sunday - i promised my mom.

Churchs-Chicken.gif

Folks don't like it, don't eat there. Just don't get sucked into thinking it is an attack on homosexuality or Christianity depending on your views. It is an attack, by elected officials on our personal freedoms. This is what the outrage should be about. Gay, straight, black, white, Christian, Jew, Muslim, rich, poor etc can be infringed upon just as easily. Cities allowed to use view point discrimination and it sets a precedent for the next guy. What if the "next guy" opposes your view?

The outrage over elected officials infringing on our personal freedoms was only a byproduct of what went down. It was an overreaction by a small majority of those in office. Even as a supporter of gay rights, I had to roll my eyes at their comments. Because they were speaking from a personal position and not a professional one. But it doesn't take away from the original comments publicly made by the COO. They've singled out a specific group of people that they are in disfavor of and alluded that they shouldn't receive the same rights as another group of people. It may not be the legal practicing definition of discrimination, but it is the dictionary definition of the word. He has a right to say what he wants. But we also have the right to criticize his views. In the end I'm less concerned about what an over-priced chicken restaurant (who, IMO, doesn't taste that great anyway) says, and more concerned about the people who actually try to legislate such Biblical morality.

• Fire 3

The outrage over elected officials infringing on our personal freedoms was only a byproduct of what went down. It was an overreaction by a small majority of those in office. Even as a supporter of gay rights, I had to roll my eyes at their comments. Because they were speaking from a personal position and not a professional one.

The Mayor of Boston, Mike Menino, cannot deny Chick-fil-A a license to operate in Boston speaking from a "professional" position much less a "personal" one, but that's what he did.

Until Chick-fil-A is proven to be discriminating against gays (and they might be), what the COO says is off little importance. It might offend people, but six months ago, Barack Obama would not endorse same-sex marriage. I don't care about same-sex marriage. What I care about is the Government (at any level) telling someone what they can or cannot believe - especially when it comes to the 1st Amendment.

I don't care about same-sex marriage. What I care about is the Government (at any level) telling someone what they can or cannot believe - especially when it comes to the 1st Amendment.

Do you care about the government telling people who they can or cannot marry?

/argument

I don't care about same-sex marriage. What I care about is the Government (at any level) telling someone what they can or cannot believe - especially when it comes to the 1st Amendment.

Do you care about the government telling people who they can or cannot marry?

Yes, I care. The Government has no authority to do that. Nor should it rig the tax code to benefit one form over another.

Do you care?

• Fire 1

I strongly disagree with the opinion of the Chick-fil-A president, but it's his right to have that opinion and there's no evidence that Chick-fil-A has discriminatory labor practices, or is otherwise breaking the law. Historically battles over social issues have not been won attacking people on the "wrong" side, in fact it only seems to further entrench opposition by rallying around those who say no. We've already reached the tipping point of inevitability with gay marriage, so it's simply a matter of time passing before opinions like Mr. Cathy's are like turds going down the toilet.

Agreed. Even though it is inevitable, the sooner gay marriage is legalized the better. Unfortunately, if the record Chick-fil-A sales are any indicator, it does not appear that it will happen in the very immediate future.