Huskers Looking to shore up underperforming D-line

I was encouraged when I read this:

"Meredith said new line coach Rick Kaczenski is stressing the importance of playing aggressively."

Good! I would LOVE to see the return of smashmouth Nebraska football!

ok, now i feel better, someone came along and told our guys to play more aggressively.......that should fix everything.

They have to be told to play aggressively?! Meredith, in my opinion, should not even be starting up front. We have Ankrah, Carter, and The Caveman who can all outplay him. Meredith is almost becoming as good at this coach speak jargon as the coaches themselves. Nothing said before the Nebraska season means anything. We have heard nothing but positive things every off season, only to turn around and see that there are many many negatives still hampering this team. I'll believe we are focusing on attacking when I SEE that we are attacking. I don't believe "attacking" is even part of Bo Pelini's scheme, so I don't really believe Kaz is going to come in here and change the front four. Bo's scheme is built on "bend don't break". Bo's front four has never been attacking. Aside from Suh, we have not had a dominant defensive lineman at Nebraska sine Bo has been here. I hope something is about to change that, but I'm not holding my breath.

"Meredith said new line coach Rick Kaczenski is stressing the importance of playing aggressively."

ok, now i feel better, someone came along and told our guys to play more aggressively.......that should fix everything.

I was one of the only people saying the Dline would be weak last summer/fall and pretty much got called to the carpet for it. I will say they will be better this year. I haven't he a chance to talk with Kaz but as I said a week or so ago Bo liked several of his ideas and he chanced the way the Dline played in his system. Many things are the same technique wise but the assignments are different and we play with a forward mottion more,rather than a read and react on the line level. They also will help the guy next to the more so each guy isn't always on an island by himself which should open some things up for the Ends and the LBs. If the secondary has improved as much as I hope then we should see the sack total a TFL go up as well. I'm still a little worried on the containment of the running QB but that's because I didn't understand everything they were doing to help that but if your rush ends have more freedom and are getting help from some directional things in the middle that should allow them to be at the the QB faster and keep some scrambling from happening. It sounds like both JP and Joesph have asked for more blitzing and have come up with some new ideas to disguise that too. I'm more excited about some of these things this year than I am about the offense this year.

More blitzing & unleashing Caveman and the other DEs more? Wow......the very, very finest music to my ears. Major props to Bo for going to more of an attack defense. It might give up a few more points on average but the 3 & outs, TOP & turnovers are all on our side. Even better, we certainly should be better (finally!) vs mobil qbs.

Yes, Bo chews up and spits out pocket qbs with the greatest of ease but qbs who can really run have been a BIG problem for a long time. This should help a lot and it's high time that it's being taken care of.

Thanks DaSkers!

You talk as if it has already happened? We have seen nothing yet. I would hope you have figured out by now not to take Bo's word on anything football related.

They have to be told to play aggressively?! Meredith, in my opinion, should not even be starting up front. We have Ankrah, Carter, and The Caveman who can all outplay him. Meredith is almost becoming as good at this coach speak jargon as the coaches themselves. Nothing said before the Nebraska season means anything. We have heard nothing but positive things every off season, only to turn around and see that there are many many negatives still hampering this team. I'll believe we are focusing on attacking when I SEE that we are attacking. I don't believe "attacking" is even part of Bo Pelini's scheme, so I don't really believe Kaz is going to come in here and change the front four. Bo's scheme is built on "bend don't break". Bo's front four has never been attacking. Aside from Suh, we have not had a dominant defensive lineman at Nebraska sine Bo has been here. I hope something is about to change that, but I'm not holding my breath.

Meredith has been our best Dlineman since Suh left. I would even venture to say that he was better then Crick. As far as Bo not taking advice, how do you know? Bo is maturing as a coach and has probably heard from people that are close to him that he needs to listen to his assistant coaches more. Kaz has been in the B1G for more fyears then Bo and has coached up some good Dlinemen, why wouldn't you listen to him.

• Fire 1

I was one of the only people saying the Dline would be weak last summer/fall and pretty much got called to the carpet for it. I will say they will be better this year. I haven't he a chance to talk with Kaz but as I said a week or so ago Bo liked several of his ideas and he chanced the way the Dline played in his system. Many things are the same technique wise but the assignments are different and we play with a forward mottion more,rather than a read and react on the line level. They also will help the guy next to the more so each guy isn't always on an island by himself which should open some things up for the Ends and the LBs. If the secondary has improved as much as I hope then we should see the sack total a TFL go up as well. I'm still a little worried on the containment of the running QB but that's because I didn't understand everything they were doing to help that but if your rush ends have more freedom and are getting help from some directional things in the middle that should allow them to be at the the QB faster and keep some scrambling from happening. It sounds like both JP and Joesph have asked for more blitzing and have come up with some new ideas to disguise that too. I'm more excited about some of these things this year than I am about the offense this year.

More blitzing & unleashing Caveman and the other DEs more? Wow......the very, very finest music to my ears. Major props to Bo for going to more of an attack defense. It might give up a few more points on average but the 3 & outs, TOP & turnovers are all on our side. Even better, we certainly should be better (finally!) vs mobil qbs.

Yes, Bo chews up and spits out pocket qbs with the greatest of ease but qbs who can really run have been a BIG problem for a long time. This should help a lot and it's high time that it's being taken care of.

Thanks DaSkers!

You talk as if it has already happened? We have seen nothing yet. I would hope you have figured out by now not to take Bo's word on anything football related.

If posters like da skers says it happening that's good enough for me. Also, "coach speak" is done by all HCs in Div1 cfb so subtracting that I think Bo's a straight shooter.

DT Tobi Okuyemi

DT Thad Randle

DT Baker Steinkuhler

DT Todd Peat, Jr.

DT Jeff Uher

DT Kenny Anderson

DT Kevin Williams

DT Aaron Curry

DT Chase Rome

DT Vincent Valentine

DT Jay Guy

DE Joseph Carter

DE Jason Ankrah

DE Cameron Meredith

DE Eric Martin

DE Walker Ashburn

DE Ross Dzuris

DE Greg McMullen

DE Donovan Vestal

DE Avery Moss

On the BTN NU Football Preview last night they said we have 17 D-linemen on our roster. Which is a wealth of big guys for the Blackshirts. Sure enough. We have at least that many. Maybe more.

I have 20 D-linemen listed above. Are all these guys still with the team? I know we had a couple players bail out over the offseason. Can't recall if we lost any D-linemen.