New Poll Puts Mitt Romney In The Deep End

I agree, of course Romney has some serious catching up to do. But since people really don't know anything about him except the bruising primary fight and the toll the attack ads have taken, I believe there is a huge opportunity in the next few months for him to present himself. That's why I think, once the momentum starts going his way, it will be like Reagan over Carter. Remember that was considered close by the polls right up until the last week iirc and then became a landslide. The reason I think that could happen again, is that BO really has nothing left to unleash in his arsenal to inspire the undecided. Those people that are going to vote for him already know that. Given the economy and the desperation of the level of ads already being launched, I just don't see what he can do other than continue to bash Romney and if Romney can introduce himself to the American people in his own terms......... then he wins big.

This is a fanciful narrative, but it's untrue. Romney is defining Romney, not the Obama campaign. It's not a matter of listening to attack ads, it's a matter of listening to Romney himself. Ignore anything about Romney coming from Obama, the Democrats or any left-wing pundit. Base your answer on Romney sources alone, and answer these questions:

What is Mitt Romney's plan to fix unemployment?

What is Mitt Romney's plan to fix the debt?

What is Mitt Romney's plan to fix healthcare?

What is Mitt Romney's plan to bring our troops home?

That's the problem. There are dozens more questions we need answers to, and Romney has given us nothing. These poll numbers have zero to do with Obama or anyone on the left. They have everything to do with the fact that Romney hasn't said anything substantive throughout the primaries or his campaign.

Listen to him talk. Listen to him answer questions from the media, either "his" media or "them." There is never a specific answer, never a plan, never anything. That's entirely on purpose, and it's costing him.

Independent voters are not going to vote for this guy if he keeps this up. No VP is going to so Wow! the populace that it's going to carry him to victory.

And if you're truly thinking he's going to win this election based on the debates, you need to go back and look at the bazillion Republican primary debates and see how he acted. He put his foot in his mouth more often than not. He had half a dozen other people on the podium saying stupid things as well (like Bachmann, Cain and Perry) so it took some focus off of Mitt, but when it's just him and Obama up there, and Obama is a fantastic public speaker (Fox News' fantasy about teleprompters notwithstanding), and he'll make mincemeat out of Romney one-on-one.

I see these next few weeks as critical for Romney. He needs to start speaking plainly about substantive things and stop with his vagaries and deflections. If he waits until the Convention it may be too late.

These poll numbers have zero to do with Obama or anyone on the left. (Your quote here fits much more effectively into the definition of fanciful)

The fact is that millions of dollars in unprecedented attack ads HAVE defined Romney so far. (now he's a murderer)

There have been virtually NO serious attempts by the media to offer him a forum to explain his plans.

That will change and there is plenty of time to do so.

You can label this a fanciful narrative but I don't see it that way.

I stand by my prediction. On November 7th one of us will need to capitulate.

Then please answer the questions I've posed.

There have been virtually NO serious attempts by the media to offer him a forum to explain his plans.

I can think of one channel that I suspect would be very happy to give Romney a platform to explain his plans. His campaign shouldn't have trouble setting up a 15 minute 'interview' on Fox where he can speak his mind and get out his message.

I can think of one channel that I suspect would be very happy to give Romney a platform to explain his plans. His campaign shouldn't have trouble setting up a 15 minute 'interview' on Fox where he can speak his mind and get out his message.

Yes. LOL at the concept of poor Mitt Romney being shut out by the media. They were literally begging him to talk to them on his Romneyshambles trip through Europe.

I agree, of course Romney has some serious catching up to do. But since people really don't know anything about him except the bruising primary fight and the toll the attack ads have taken, I believe there is a huge opportunity in the next few months for him to present himself. That's why I think, once the momentum starts going his way, it will be like Reagan over Carter. Remember that was considered close by the polls right up until the last week iirc and then became a landslide. The reason I think that could happen again, is that BO really has nothing left to unleash in his arsenal to inspire the undecided. Those people that are going to vote for him already know that. Given the economy and the desperation of the level of ads already being launched, I just don't see what he can do other than continue to bash Romney and if Romney can introduce himself to the American people in his own terms......... then he wins big.

This is a fanciful narrative, but it's untrue. Romney is defining Romney, not the Obama campaign. It's not a matter of listening to attack ads, it's a matter of listening to Romney himself. Ignore anything about Romney coming from Obama, the Democrats or any left-wing pundit. Base your answer on Romney sources alone, and answer these questions:

What is Mitt Romney's plan to fix unemployment?

What is Mitt Romney's plan to fix the debt?

What is Mitt Romney's plan to fix healthcare?

What is Mitt Romney's plan to bring our troops home?

That's the problem. There are dozens more questions we need answers to, and Romney has given us nothing. These poll numbers have zero to do with Obama or anyone on the left. They have everything to do with the fact that Romney hasn't said anything substantive throughout the primaries or his campaign.

Listen to him talk. Listen to him answer questions from the media, either "his" media or "them." There is never a specific answer, never a plan, never anything. That's entirely on purpose, and it's costing him.

Independent voters are not going to vote for this guy if he keeps this up. No VP is going to so Wow! the populace that it's going to carry him to victory.

And if you're truly thinking he's going to win this election based on the debates, you need to go back and look at the bazillion Republican primary debates and see how he acted. He put his foot in his mouth more often than not. He had half a dozen other people on the podium saying stupid things as well (like Bachmann, Cain and Perry) so it took some focus off of Mitt, but when it's just him and Obama up there, and Obama is a fantastic public speaker (Fox News' fantasy about teleprompters notwithstanding), and he'll make mincemeat out of Romney one-on-one.

I see these next few weeks as critical for Romney. He needs to start speaking plainly about substantive things and stop with his vagaries and deflections. If he waits until the Convention it may be too late.

These poll numbers have zero to do with Obama or anyone on the left. (Your quote here fits much more effectively into the definition of fanciful)

The fact is that millions of dollars in unprecedented attack ads HAVE defined Romney so far. (now he's a murderer)

That will change and there is plenty of time to do so.

You can label this a fanciful narrative but I don't see it that way.

I stand by my prediction. On November 7th one of us will need to capitulate.

Then please answer the questions I've posed.

I agree I can't. (yet)

But can you honestly give an example of a forum offered by anyone in the media where he could take time to spell them out?

I agree I can't. (yet)

But can you honestly give an example of a forum offered by anyone in the media where he could take time to spell them out?

He has a website. He has done literally dozens of interviews since becoming the presumptive nominee. He was in a plane with about 100 media members throughout his trip through Europe and Israel.

You cannot possibly believe that he has no avenue through which he could spell out his magic plans to save everyone from everything.

• Fire 2

That probably will happen at some point.

But for those who truly want to hear it (but refuse to watch Fox.............where will they get it?).................. :ahhhhhhhh

Here's a list of opportunities Romney had to spell out his plans to fix everything. You cannot tell me with a straight face that these primary debates didn't give him a safe place to spell out his plans, especially when so many of them were sponsored by Fox News and/or devout Republican cronies.

June 13, 2011

Sponsor: CNN, WMUR-TV and New Hampshire Union Leader

Participants: Bachmann, Cain, Gingrich, Paul, Pawlenty, Romney, Santorum

August 11, 2011

Sponsor: Fox News, The Washington Examiner and the Republican Party of Iowa

Participants: Bachmann, Romney, Pawlenty, Paul, Cain, Huntsman, Santorum, Gingrich

September 5, 2011 Palmetto Freedom Forum

Sponsor: Senator Jim DeMint and the American Principles Project

Participants: Romney, Gingrich, Bachmann, Cain, Paul

September 7, 2011

Sponsor: Reagan Library, NBC News and Politico

Participants: Perry, Paul, Huntsman, Romney, Santorum, Gingrich, Bachmann, Cain

September 12, 2011

Sponsor: CNN and the Tea Party Express

Participants: Perry, Bachmann, Romney, Paul, Gingrich, Cain, Santorum, Huntsman

September 22, 2011

Sponsor: Fox News, Google and Florida Republican Party

Participants: Perry, Bachmann, Romney, Paul, Gingrich, Cain, Santorum, Huntsman, Johnson

October 11, 2011

Sponsor: Bloomberg, The Washington Post and WBIN-TV

Participants: Bachmann, Cain, Gingrich, Huntsman, Paul, Perry, Romney, Santorum

October 18, 2011

Sponsor: CNN and the Western Republican Leadership Conference

Participants: Bachmann, Cain, Gingrich, Paul, Perry, Romney, Santorum

November 9, 2011

Sponsor: CNBC, the Michigan Republican Party and Oakland University

November 12, 2011

Sponsor: CBS News, The National Journal and the South Carolina Republican Party

November 22, 2011

Sponsor: CNN, The Heritage Foundation and the American Enterprise Institute

December 3, 2011 Mike Huckabee Presidential Forum

Sponsor: Former Arkansas Governor Mike Huckabee and Fox News

Participants: Romney, Perry, Bachmann, Gingrich, Santorum, Paul

December 10, 2011

Sponsor: ABC News, ABC5/WOI-DT, The Des Moines Register and Republican Party of Iowa

Participants: Romney, Perry, Bachmann, Gingrich, Santorum, Paul

December 15, 2011 Watch Entire Video

Sponsor: Fox News and Republican Party of Iowa

Participants: Bachmann, Gingrich, Huntsman, Paul, Perry, Romney, Santorum

January 7, 2012

Sponsor: ABC News and WMUR

Participants: Santorum, Romney, Paul, Perry, Gingrich, Huntsman

January 8, 2012

Location: Chubb Theatre at the Capitol Center for the Arts in Concord, NH

Sponsor: NBC News, Facebook and the Union Leader

Participants: Santorum, Romney, Paul, Perry, Gingrich, Huntsman

January 14, 2012 Huckabee Forum 2: South Carolina Undecided

Location: Sottile Theatre at the College of Charleston, South Carolina

Sponsor: Former Arkansas Governor Mike Huckabee, Congressman Tim Scott (R-SC) and Fox News

Participants: Romney, Perry, Gingrich, Santorum, Huntsman

January 16, 2012

Location: Myrtle Beach Convention Center in Myrtle Beach, South Carolina

Sponsor: Fox News, The Wall Street Journal and the South Carolina Republican Party

Participants: Romney, Perry, Gingrich, Santorum, Paul

January 19, 2012

Sponsor: CNN and the Southern Republican Leadership Conference

Participants: Romney, Gingrich, Santorum, Paul

January 23, 2012

Sponsor: The Tampa Bay Times, NBC News, the National Journal and the Florida Council of 100

January 26, 2012

Sponsor: CNN, CNN en Español, The Hispanic Leadership Network and The Republican Party of Florida

February 22, 2012

Sponsor: CNN and the Republican Party of Arizona

Participants: Romney, Santorum, Paul, Gingrich

• Fire 2

Do you believe this? Romney could just show up at any major network in the country and they'd fall over themselves to set up an interview.

His absence in the media is HIS choice . . . not the media's choice.

But for those who truly want to hear it (but refuse to watch Fox.............where will they get it?).................. :ahhhhhhhh

If only there were some kind of network or interface that we could all link up to, where we could all see his ideas and plans straight from the source, something that would be available in our homes, our phones, our tablets, stuff like that.

If only the internet existed outside the realm of science fiction, then we could have heard Romney's plan. Damn you, William Gibson, for dreaming up but never having invented the internet!!!

• Fire 1

I agree I can't. (yet)

He has a website. He has done literally dozens of interviews since becoming the presumptive nominee. He was in a plane with about 100 media members throughout his trip through Europe and Israel.

You cannot possibly believe that he has no avenue through which he could spell out his magic plans to save everyone from everything.

I don't think I've ever claimed (or heard him claim) that he has some magic plans to save everyone from everything...............(and really extreme hyberbole like this snippet serves no one well in this discussion)

I'm talking about more than soundbites. I'm awaiting (as I'm sure you are, as well), for details about how he would attack the problems DIFFERENTLY than from the policies of BO.

That takes a platform and time frame more substantive than a few answered questions in an airplane or running between events.

Remember the bully pulpit the President always has at his disposal to frame responses. Big time advantage.

If only there were some kind of network or interface that we could all link up to, where we could all see his ideas and plans straight from the source, something that would be available in our homes, our phones, our tablets, stuff like that.

If only the internet existed outside the realm of science fiction, then we could have heard Romney's plan. Damn you, William Gibson, for dreaming up but never having invented the internet!!!

Obviously I need to work on my sarcasm skills as they are not translating...................but clever response by you regardless.........

Worst favorability ratings since Walter Mondale.

I probably should be enjoying this news and the increasingly hilarious attacks on Romney from his own party as the wheels fall of the campaign, but I'm not. A two party system needs two viable parties with actual ideas to solve America's problems and the Republican party seems to be more lost than the Democrats were in the 1980's (with candidates like Mondale). Gifting Obama another term with a congress that will still be completely dysfunctional doesn't move us anywhere closer to solving the big problems.

• Fire 1

A two party system needs two viable parties with actual ideas to solve America's problems

You're right, it does, and right now we have NO parties with viable ideas. We cannot look to either party as "the lesser of two evils."

Look at Harry Reid. My god, man, shut your mouth! I have no problem with someone calling out Romney for not disclosing his taxes, but to claim Romney's deceased father would disapprove of him? That's beyond contemptible.

Look at Nancy Pelosi. Presiding over the worst do-nothing congress in my lifetime. And the Senate - no budgets passed in three years. How is that possible? I know the mechanics of it, but it's unforgivable.

I don't know how any of these people win reelection. They're potzers, all of them. Not one of them has the courage to put aside partisan bickering and do something to fix this country. Meanwhile, they all sit back and rake in tens of thousands of dollars while in office, if not millions.

These collective Neros fiddle about while America burns. Who is being represented here? Nobody in this thread, be they Democrat, Republican or Independent has values like this.

I'm sure I am in the minority but Romney simply not being Obama is good enough for me. I recall wondering when Obama was going to release any specifics about how he was going to fix anything also. The problem is he has held the job for almost four years and nothing of importance has improved one ioto but rather things have gotten worse. I don't have great hopes for Romney but he has not proven he is the worst choice like Obama has. Not being Obama counts for quite a lot in my book.