Dienhart: Things I learned at Nebraska practice

NUance

I heard that Charles Jackson is making a strong push for a starter spot. If this is true, major kudos to him. I find the trip from being recruited, committing, ineligibility, finally making it to Lincoln, and now pushing for starter spot. It had to be tough road for him but im glad he has kept his hopes up and stayed motivated.

He's pushing because that young man is HUNGRY! To go through all that and still make it on the team, the kid has a chip on his shoulder and has heart. Those two elements may push him to the starting role this year or next.

I didn't see any Valentine tweets. Did I miss those?

Here's some stuff from Revsine:

@BTNDaveRevsine Seisay very impressive physically - great size for a CB. They have a lot of good interchangeable parts in secondary.

@BTNDaveRevsine Overall, Neb probably slightly exceeded expectations. D looked really good, offense about what I thought. #Huskers

@BTNDaveRevsine Armstrong is really impressive physically. We all think he'll be a big-time QB. Wouldn't shock me if he's 2nd team QB this yr

@BTNDaveRevsine Back up RB's look good. Cross is impressive. Passes have been completed. Won't be a great pass gm, but there are some nice weapons

Some disquieting reviews from Revsine:

@BTNDaveRevsine

To the many asking about Martinez's throwing motion. To naked and untrained eye (ie - mine) - it looks the same. #Huskers

@BTNDaveRevsine

He says he's worked changed it, as do coaches, & my sense is side by side tape would reveal difference - they all insist it's different

@BTNDaveRevsine

Bottom line - I think focus on Martinez misplaced. He is a great running QB. They will win w/run gm and great defense. #Huskers

@BTNDaveRevsine

Said this last night - will reiterate - Neb is (19-0) last 2 yrs when rushing for 185+ yds as a team, They are (0-8) when they don't.

@BTNDaveRevsine

Neb is (11-0) in Martinez's career when he rushes for 70+ yds. He averages 6.9 yards per carry in 17 W's as a starter and 2 ypc in 8 L's.

@BTNDaveRevsine

It is about the run game - pure and simple. He is good enough as a passer that teams have to honor the threat - has great weapons.

Call me pessimist, but I think they are putting too much stock into Martinez the runner.

You really think so? Everyone, including Taylor, says he's back up to speed and in the past that has been where he game changing performance have come from.

Call me pessimist, but I think they are putting too much stock into Martinez the runner.

You really think so? Everyone, including Taylor, says he's back up to speed and in the past that has been where he game changing performance have come from.

Idk, I just have a hard time grasping that he will be back to what he was freshman year. I just don't see it happening. I never really thought he was that elusive to begin with, but we shall see. I would give up his speed if it meant he gained some shiftiness in the pocket, personally. Not to fond of his escapability.

Reading through all the tweets, these guys are laying on the "I'm impressed" stuff pretty thick, moreso than I would think they feel obligated to do. Sounds like we passed their eyeball test in a lot of ways.

We won't be able to put this fully into perspective until we read what they say about Michigan, Sparty and OSU. If they heap similar or more praise, all this fluffing will have to be taken with a huge grain of salt.

Here's some stuff from Howard Griffith:

Howard Griffith@HowardGriffith

Fr. QB Tommy Armstrong has a chance to be a superstar. Quick and elusive wow! #cornhuskers

---

Marcus@Huskers_FMT

@HowardGriffith who would u say was the most impressive u saw practice? Player or Offensive/Defensive Unit? Thanks!

Howard Griffith@HowardGriffith

@Huskers_FMT Defense . I have a sneaky suspicion they will be better then most critics think. Depth at every position. #cornhuskers

---

@HowardGriffith

Nebraska will win a lot of games with the foot of Brett Maher punter/kicker . You can take that to the bank. #huskers #cornhuskers

---

@HowardGriffith

Tim Beck most be creative & find way to get the ball to Jamal Turner in space. #cornhuskers #huskers #BTN

---

@HowardGriffith

I was at Nebraska football practice last night. I'm Looking forward to following them this year. #Broncos

family-guy-bug-o.gif

8339_original_YesJackNicholson.gif

• Fire 1
No player I saw is better put together than end Jason Ankrah. The 6-4, 265-pound junior looks like he’s chiseled from marble. No doubt, he passes the eyeball test, as does most of this roster.

Does Ankrah explode this year? He showed flashes last year. I thought he'd be the next great Husker DE. In the mold of Wistrom or Vanden Bosch.

He still might be. :koolaid2:

Don't forget Alberts. He kind of started that run at DE. Tomich too. :) I also remember a skinny Wistrom as a Freshman making an impact and even playing in the NC game against Miami. Hopefully it all clicks for Ankrah this year.