Tyler Moore walks out of practice...

FLU

So, in a thread with in excess of 500 replies, you guys can find what, ten posts that are overreacting to Cotton? And this proves to you that all criticisms against Cotton are unwarranted?

How about this - I can go through the Fresno State game and show you ten plays where Cotton's line was bumbling around, either not blocking their man, not knowing who to block, getting beaten on the block, or flat-out playing in the wrong position.

That's one game. There were a dozen more games last year, half of which had a similar number of bonehead plays by Barney Cotton's unit.

And you guys accuse me of willfully ignoring what's being said? Do you even watch our games?

:huh::dunno

Like what aspeedlin4589 said.

It's an internet forum, people are going to say whatever they want. If someone wants to say that, than thats their own opinion but it's not a reflection of everyone on this board. Because to be honest HB is probably the most level headed husker board on the internet.

I would say his is more of an observation than an opinion.

I took as he got butt hurt and just vented.

You take it wrong. You haven't been around long. I've been a "sunshine-pumper" for years. Facts are facts, though, and whether you like it or not, whether you disagree with the reality enough to think anyone who doesn't see it your way as "butthurt" :rolleyes: or not, the O Line (that's Barney Cotton's position, BTW) has underperformed. Not just in 2008, not just in 2009, not just in 2010, but in 2011 as well. Go watch the tape. It's right there.

Now, bshirt brings up some recruiting errors - this is a good point. We've had recruiting misfires at several positions, and O Line isn't immune to that. But I fail to see why Barney Cotton should be immune to criticism when his unit underperforms, when we have gripes about the secondary, linebackers, D Line, wide receivers and quarterback and those are OK.

At what point did Barney Cotton become sacred? When did it become verboten to critique his unit?

O Line is, after all, the foundation on which the entire team is built. It's kind of an important thing.

I totally disagree, about his needed status. Anyone that just walks away from his team at this time, is only concerned with himself, no matter the reason.

Tired of hearing he is just a kid, there are thousands every single day that take the oath of military service for this country. These kids on our football team call themselves warriors, going to war. But they can quit anytime the going gets tough and it is thought to be okay. Thank God the kids that defend this country do not think like that. Quitting is a cowards way out. This program does not need cowards. That maybe the old Marine in me, but that is the way I live my life.

I have seen kids in their dying eyes, wanting only to go home. Being home sick is a standard for youth, missing thier girlfriend is standard. But giving up a golden opportunity to play for Nebraska and to move on to the pros because your home sick is not acceptable for me. Letting others down that depend on you and your talents, being coaches and players is not acceptable to me.

There is more to this than just winning football games. Time some take a look at what is one of our motos.

But I still give him the benefit of the doubt until all the information is available.

He didn't 'quit'. His girlfriend made him redefine his geographical life position. Big difference. :lol:

agree with you Knappic. Cotton has not elevated the play of the recruits. In some cases they have regressed. Part of coaching is being able to handle/motivate the "prima donnas" as well as the walk-ons. Cotton has clearly not done this well. You could make an argument that it is far easier to motivate the walk-ons, since they are trying to claw their way upward without any sense of entitlement. I, for one, would like to see a clean break with Cotton after the season. It would be hard on the team to do it now, unless you have a ready-made stud replacement waiting in the wings.

I totally disagree, about his needed status. Anyone that just walks away from his team at this time, is only concerned with himself, no matter the reason.

Tired of hearing he is just a kid, there are thousands every single day that take the oath of military service for this country. These kids on our football team call themselves warriors, going to war. But they can quit anytime the going gets tough and it is thought to be okay. Thank God the kids that defend this country do not think like that. Quitting is a cowards way out. This program does not need cowards. That maybe the old Marine in me, but that is the way I live my life.

I have seen kids in their dying eyes, wanting only to go home. Being home sick is a standard for youth, missing thier girlfriend is standard. But giving up a golden opportunity to play for Nebraska and to move on to the pros because your home sick is not acceptable for me. Letting others down that depend on you and your talents, being coaches and players is not acceptable to me.

There is more to this than just winning football games. Time some take a look at what is one of our motos.

But I still give him the benefit of the doubt until all the information is available.

He didn't 'quit'. His girlfriend made him redefine his geographical life position. Big difference. :lol:

Good point and I stand most humbly corrected.

That's perfectly fine. Level-headed, fact-based, criticism is perfectly acceptable. Going off the deep end and reflexively spewing forth a ranting diatribe about how Barney sucks at every turn (like a segment of our fans do), should stop.

Where has this happened? Seems like much ado about nothing.

your kidding right! :dunno

I'd say it's about as humorous as basic grammar.

if you say so. :leghump:

You take it wrong. You haven't been around long. I've been a "sunshine-pumper" for years. Facts are facts, though, and whether you like it or not, whether you disagree with the reality enough to think anyone who doesn't see it your way as "butthurt" :rolleyes: or not, the O Line (that's Barney Cotton's position, BTW) has underperformed. Not just in 2008, not just in 2009, not just in 2010, but in 2011 as well. Go watch the tape. It's right there.

Now, bshirt brings up some recruiting errors - this is a good point. We've had recruiting misfires at several positions, and O Line isn't immune to that. But I fail to see why Barney Cotton should be immune to criticism when his unit underperforms, when we have gripes about the secondary, linebackers, D Line, wide receivers and quarterback and those are OK.

At what point did Barney Cotton become sacred? When did it become verboten to critique his unit?

O Line is, after all, the foundation on which the entire team is built. It's kind of an important thing.

This is actually funny. Someone telling me how his facts (opinions) are more correct than anyone else's and how wrong they are. This had nothing to do with people agreeing or disagreeing with my view. This was only a response to you're post. I felt that you got butt-hurt about the way people where defending BC.

You probably didn't mean to come off like that, but to me you did.

and you're right, I probably interpreted wrong.

It's all good. :)

by the way BC isn't the only coach of the OL. But he is the lightning rod tho.

Apparently I need medication. I must have just imagined all those endless threads about Cotton and his line, the saga of mediocrity that may or may not be broken in his fifth year. Now all of the sudden because Cotton apparently wasn't the cause of Moore's midnight ride (glad to be corrected, btw), he's no longer our single biggest coaching concern on the staff. In fact, he's not a concern at all anymore.

Well okay then.

Umm...when NU decided to recruit every single one of his kids? :hmmph

Some of you guys/gals wanting to fire Cotton should read this: http://en.wikipedia....i/Barney_Cotton

Here's a little excerpt:

In 1997, former Nebraska Cornhuskers player and New Mexico State Head Coach Tony Samuel hired Cotton to the same position he had held at St. Cloud State; Offensive Coordinator and Offensive Line Coach. Although championships eluded New Mexico State during Cotton's six years with the program, the production of his offensive players generated impressive statistics. New Mexico State ranked nationally in the top 25 in overall offense in 1998, 2000 and 2002, and was ranked nationally in the top 25 in rushing offense for all six years. In his final season, New Mexico State led the Sun Belt Conference in passing efficiency, rushing offense and total offense. Six New Mexico State linemen earned All-Sunbelt Conference Honors during Cotton's tenure.

The conjecture that he has no idea what he is doing is just that...pure conjecture and misinformation. He's a solid coach, a standup guy, and I think we'll be just fine with him where he is.

I do all my research papers using Wikipedia!!

Umm...when NU decided to recruit every single one of his kids? :hmmph

and what are the kids doing that's pissing you off? they seam to be solid players. :dunno

Never mind didn't know I was responding to you. I already know your hatred for the family.

I'm sure a grammar lesson will follow. :hmmph

Edited by Polarhusker

Cotton is at best a pretty ho-hum coach who has been on the hot seat lately. I see no reason why he should be immune to criticism. At the university of Nebraska we can do much better than a guy who will come in here after a failed HC who nonetheless is one of the finer OL coaches in the nation, and trash his coaching practices just for the sake of it. Barney's "screw technique, just play hard" approach from the beginning has NEVER sat well with me, and our OL has had a pretty stunning lack of discipline in his tenure.

It should be no surprise at all that a large amount of outside help has been forced on Barney with his position.

We deserve better than that.

Some of you guys/gals wanting to fire Cotton should read this: http://en.wikipedia....i/Barney_Cotton

Here's a little excerpt:

In 1997, former Nebraska Cornhuskers player and New Mexico State Head Coach Tony Samuel hired Cotton to the same position he had held at St. Cloud State; Offensive Coordinator and Offensive Line Coach. Although championships eluded New Mexico State during Cotton's six years with the program, the production of his offensive players generated impressive statistics. New Mexico State ranked nationally in the top 25 in overall offense in 1998, 2000 and 2002, and was ranked nationally in the top 25 in rushing offense for all six years. In his final season, New Mexico State led the Sun Belt Conference in passing efficiency, rushing offense and total offense. Six New Mexico State linemen earned All-Sunbelt Conference Honors during Cotton's tenure.

The conjecture that he has no idea what he is doing is just that...pure conjecture and misinformation. He's a solid coach, a standup guy, and I think we'll be just fine with him where he is.

I do all my research papers using Wikipedia!!

That's right you use Bleacher Report.