SIGNED (2013) PG Tai Webster

Man, people need to lay off of Tai. Yes he didn't respond well to adversity and anyone who thinks otherwise is a fool, but I think he will be fine. Why? Because he definitely showed flashes of being a really good player on D and on O we just didn't have the depth to be able to bring him out all of the time for a teaching moment. That's when Miles realized that Benny's Defensive prowess out weighed the flashes of being good by Tai. There are LOTS of players who go through the same type of struggles as he did last year. I will definitely wait until after this season to say he is not going to get any better, which I don't think will happen.

we aren't talking about LOTS of other players. We are talking about Tai. Thread title should've given that away. I also never said he wasn't going to get any better, I said he never got any better as last season went on. If you want to refute anything I said about Tai, that's fine. just make sure it's things I said about him.

Most times when a freshman comes in with a ton of hype, they play much better. Tai's hype was unwarranted. The kid has talent but he was playing in a different style.

When a kid is a top 10 normally they are playing AAU ball and playing against the best. When they get to the college game, the speed isnt that much faster. For Tai, he was just playing against poor talent...He came in thinking he was so great and got slapped in the face... He didnt handle it well.

Lets not forget, this kid is 19 years old. He is 2000+ miles from home and was struggling.... He just couldnt pull himself from the rut.

He had an awful year. But lets not bury the kid until we see how he grows/changes. He doesnt have the weight of the world on his shoulders... tons of great options. Tai can play the 2 guard(where i think he belongs).

A slashing/drive and dish 2 guard. Cause I don't see a good shooter. I think he could be a playmaker and a big guard to defend other big guards. I watched him in the worlds or whatever it was called. He doesn't have the makeup to me to be an alpha type on the court. On some of his outside shots I wonder if he needs glasses. I'm not ready to bury Tai, I hope he comes around. And I'll gladly eat it if he does. But I don't see it. I don't see anything in his body language that tells me he's a confident player. And this was on his national team. My criticism of him was at the end of conference play last year when he was losing minutes to Benny. He had a good 20-25 games in. He wasn't getting even minutely better. He was getting worse and he himself carried that in his body language.

I'm telling you now that Tai is a far better shooter than he showed last year. I was fortunate to spend a little time with the team this summer and Tai was shooting lights out. Athletically he is a much different person as well. I will be very surprised if the work he put in this off season doesnt translate.

I hope you're right. Tai figuring it out can make us that much better. I'll gladly be wrong about him. In fact it's what I'm hoping for.
  • Fire 1

Man, people need to lay off of Tai. Yes he didn't respond well to adversity and anyone who thinks otherwise is a fool, but I think he will be fine. Why? Because he definitely showed flashes of being a really good player on D and on O we just didn't have the depth to be able to bring him out all of the time for a teaching moment. That's when Miles realized that Benny's Defensive prowess out weighed the flashes of being good by Tai. There are LOTS of players who go through the same type of struggles as he did last year. I will definitely wait until after this season to say he is not going to get any better, which I don't think will happen.

we aren't talking about LOTS of other players. We are talking about Tai. Thread title should've given that away. I also never said he wasn't going to get any better, I said he never got any better as last season went on. If you want to refute anything I said about Tai, that's fine. just make sure it's things I said about him.

Well if iam reading the posts correctly it doesn't sound like you really give him a chance, but this is a computer and you are not here so it is sometimes hard to read. (constructive criticism maybe?)

I am only saying that many on this board expected too much from him. It was my opinion that he lost confidence and was not ready to be a starting PG. I expect lot more out of him this year!

He needs to pop his cherry against an inferior team. He needs to go off. The guy needs a slump buster......I'm fairly sure I'm still talking about basketball, geez!

It is true I have defended him last year, but I expect big jump out of him. That fact that he worked out with Petteway all summer, instead of going home says a lot about his competitive nature & desire to win.