Who's your backup?

knapplc

I dont think its coach speak. Howard Griiffith called him a future superstar, and got alot of prasie from the BTN crew. If he is already even being considered as #2 and he is picking up the offense this fast, what does that say about Carnes, whos been here for 2 years and he still is having trouble with the offense?...i say play him. Taylor could go down at any time and we need the best QB we have ready to go. Armstrongs 6' 1" 215. If he can get the playbook down (beck says hes a student of the game) he has the size to play right now.

It really is a tough choice, we redshirt him that puts him on the same year as Stanton if he doesnt redshirt. He doesnt redshirt, Taylor stays healthy and he see limited time, is that a waste? We dont redshirt him, he plays as a junior and Senior, we redshirt Stanton, he plays as a junior and Senior. Of course it never works out perfectly like that, but thats what i would try to do as a coach. Spread em out a little bit. If Armstrong redshirts, and Stanton comes in and probably redshirts, then they are only a year apart, and in this day and age the losing QB will probably transfer, leaving us with one good QB again.

I do know this, whatever the coaches do, half the fans with throw a fit, and half the fans will say its the right move, either way they cant do anything right.

If there's really little difference between the two, the obvious choice is Brion Carnes. Last year, Carnes barely saw any playing time, and the time he did see was borderline useless. If you think about this logically, in comparison to last year, is getting Armstrong a small amount of playing time worth burning his redshirt, particularly when you have a guy who has been here long and has playing time? Because, like I said, if the difference between Carnes and Armstrong is minimal, you might as well just play Carnes. It increases our depth at QB long term and will make Armstrong a more capable quarterback when it becomes time for him to compete for the starting job.

If there's really little difference between the two, the obvious choice is Brion Carnes. Last year, Carnes barely saw any playing time, and the time he did see was borderline useless. If you think about this logically, in comparison to last year, is getting Armstrong a small amount of playing time worth burning his redshirt, particularly when you have a guy who has been here long and has playing time? Because, like I said, if the difference between Carnes and Armstrong is minimal, you might as well just play Carnes. It increases our depth at QB long term and will make Armstrong a more capable quarterback when it becomes time for him to compete for the starting job.

I thought the same thing til i realized that Carnes and Armstrong are tied after Armstrong has been practicing for one week. Either Carnes isnt getting it done or Armstrongs that good. Or Beck is just creating more competition , which is probably more likely. Still impressive that he can even be mentioned imo. They could be saying....hes got aways to go, dobson needs to get ahold of him.....so hes gotta be doing good things out there.

I dont think its coach speak. Howard Griiffith called him a future superstar, and got alot of prasie from the BTN crew. If he is already even being considered as #2 and he is picking up the offense this fast, what does that say about Carnes, whos been here for 2 years and he still is having trouble with the offense?...i say play him. Taylor could go down at any time and we need the best QB we have ready to go. Armstrongs 6' 1" 215. If he can get the playbook down (beck says hes a student of the game) he has the size to play right now.

It really is a tough choice, we redshirt him that puts him on the same year as Stanton if he doesnt redshirt. He doesnt redshirt, Taylor stays healthy and he see limited time, is that a waste? We dont redshirt him, he plays as a junior and Senior, we redshirt Stanton, he plays as a junior and Senior. Of course it never works out perfectly like that, but thats what i would try to do as a coach. Spread em out a little bit. If Armstrong redshirts, and Stanton comes in and probably redshirts, then they are only a year apart, and in this day and age the losing QB will probably transfer, leaving us with one good QB again.

I do know this, whatever the coaches do, half the fans with throw a fit, and half the fans will say its the right move, either way they cant do anything right.

Nebraska has a very spotty history when it comes to playing true freshman, at least since Pelini has been here. Cody Green transferred, Aaron Green transferred, and Tyler Moore has left the team indefinitely. Rex Burkhead and Ameer Abdullah are two notable exceptions, but at the most I say we've been very hit or miss in this department.

As far as quarterback turmoil in the future, it is what it is. If Stanton or Armstrong want to leave because they get beaten out then that's fine, it's their choice. Anyone who plays a sport, however, should understand competition and know there's always the possibility. Coaches can't recruit less talented players simply to keep an obviously talented one happy. We have to recruit the best players we can at each position. As such, we shouldn't play Armstrong ahead of Carnes if there's no obvious reason to do so. Otherwise, we risk destroying his confidence if he doesn't meet the expectations people will immediately set for him. It'll be Cody Green all over again if he fails, and failure is very possible at his age regardless of what people say.

• Fire 1

normally it's always great to be the backup at Nebraska...you're the most loved guy on the team...until they start a thread about you. Poor Carnes, been here two years and 90% of the bandwagon is already on to either 1) a guy that has been through a handful of practices or 2) a guy that hasn't even signed his letter of intent yet. Both proclaimed to have what it takes to be the next great thing...when this staff has 'yet' to recruit a QB that has lasted more than a couple years. They found our current QB catching balls as a WR on the scout team.

I've been told Carne's will never see meaningful time. So I'd say Armstrong's quick climb is more of a reflection on Carnes than of Armstrong's abilities. It's scares me that he's battling for #2 already. Who's developing these kids we recruit? Why so far behind? Hopefully this is just a carryover of Watson, and the last couple years' recruits live up to the hype.

Nebraska has a very spotty history when it comes to playing true freshman, at least since Pelini has been here. Cody Green transferred, Aaron Green transferred, and Tyler Moore has left the team indefinitely. Rex Burkhead and Ameer Abdullah are two notable exceptions, but at the most I say we've been very hit or miss in this department.

As far as quarterback turmoil in the future, it is what it is. If Stanton or Armstrong want to leave because they get beaten out then that's fine, it's their choice. Anyone who plays a sport, however, should understand competition and know there's always the possibility. Coaches can't recruit less talented players simply to keep an obviously talented one happy. We have to recruit the best players we can at each position. As such, we shouldn't play Armstrong ahead of Carnes if there's no obvious reason to do so. Otherwise, we risk destroying his confidence if he doesn't meet the expectations people will immediately set for him. It'll be Cody Green all over again if he fails, and failure is very possible at his age regardless of what people say.

I can agree with that. At this point i think Carnes and Armstrong would have the same chance of being green and failing. As a program we cant take a bad year, if Taylor goes down the next best needs to step up. If thats Carnes or Kellogg thats fine redshirt him, if its Tommy then i dont think you can keep him off the field.

I would perfer he redshirts, if he does turn out to be something special, i dont want to be wishing we had him for one more year.

normally it's always great to be the backup at Nebraska...you're the most loved guy on the team...until they start a thread about you. Poor Carnes, been here two years and 90% of the bandwagon is already on to either 1) a guy that has been through a handful of practices or 2) a guy that hasn't even signed his letter of intent yet. Both proclaimed to have what it takes to be the next great thing...when this staff has 'yet' to recruit a QB that has lasted more than a couple years. They found our current QB catching balls as a WR on the scout team.

I've been told Carne's will never see meaningful time. So I'd say Armstrong's quick climb is more of a reflection on Carnes than of Armstrong's abilities. It's scares me that he's battling for #2 already. Who's developing these kids we recruit? Why so far behind? Hopefully this is just a carryover of Watson, and the last couple years' recruits live up to the hype.

Carnes was a Watson recruit, and Tim Beck has only been the OC and QB coach for one year. I'd say he's earned a two-to-three year grace period to develop players the way he sees fit.

You Redshirt Tommy, if needed down the road you yank his shirt. Let Brion have the mop up duty, make him happy. I agree with whoever said that Griffith says that Tommy is a future super star. You let him have a year to get comfortable in the system, unless he is needed because he isn't going to unseat Taylor as the QB. Come in and start as a RSoph. or battle Johnny as a Rfr who is also a hell of a get.

I don't want to jinx it but Taylor is surprisingly tough, kid has taken some shots that I didn't think he should get back up from! (knocking on wood)

I can agree with that. At this point i think Carnes and Armstrong would have the same chance of being green and failing. As a program we cant take a bad year, if Taylor goes down the next best needs to step up. If thats Carnes or Kellogg thats fine redshirt him, if its Tommy then i dont think you can keep him off the field.

I would perfer he redshirts, if he does turn out to be something special, i dont want to be wishing we had him for one more year.

I completely agree - my thoughts are the same as yours. If Armstrong becomes the obvious option behind Martinez, then I have absolutely no problem with the coaches putting him as the backup. My philosophy has and always will be that you play the best person you can at each position. My only qualm is if these two players are very close competitively, Carnes is the more reasonable option purely from a depth perspective, which I think we can both agree on, as well.

I completely agree - my thoughts are the same as yours. If Armstrong becomes the obvious option behind Martinez, then I have absolutely no problem with the coaches putting him as the backup. My philosophy has and always will be that you play the best person you can at each position. My only qualm is if these two players are very close competitively, Carnes is the more reasonable option purely from a depth perspective, which I think we can both agree on, as well.

yep, well said.