More government inefficiencies......

A topic on this board a few weeks ago concerned the merits of government issued free cell phones.

Originally implemented under GWB, it is exploding today.

The street term now is Obamaphone but I'm not posting this as in indictment of an administration, but as an indictment of the inability of government to control programs once launched.

If we can't control the fraud in this fairly benign program, how can we hope to cut the waste in gigantic agencies....?

If we can't control the fraud in this fairly benign program, how can we hope to cut the waste in gigantic agencies....?

Vigilance by you and I, that's how. This government is of, by and for the people. If it sucks (and it does) it's our fault. We need to demand better candidates. We need to turn off channels full of blowhards. We need to stop attending speeches by fools. It's us that has to fix this.

Eternal vigilance is the price of liberty; power is ever stealing from the many to the few.

-Wendell Phillips

i agree that this is disconcerting and understand your point about this being a microcosm. but what is the government to do. the problem is that this is so minor compared to other rampant corruption and inefficiencies. i like a big government, but i want it to be efficient and necessary first. what to do? create another agency that focuses on efficiency? maybe. i guess we just need to demand more accountability. this is problematic because it is bad, but also hard to control.

It looks like your video is from March. It also looks like since that date the FCC has been cracking down on the abuse.

http://www.11alive.c...ell-Phone-Abuse

Does that somewhat alleviate your concerns?

Not really. It's good that there is some awareness and action, but history tells me abusers will find a way.

I think a form of penalty for abusers might be a deterrent, because currently there is no incentive NOT to try and scam the system.

It looks like your video is from March. It also looks like since that date the FCC has been cracking down on the abuse.

Not really. It's good that there is some awareness and action, but history tells me abusers will find a way.

I think a form of penalty for abusers might be a deterrent, because currently there is no incentive NOT to try and scam the system.

So . . . government acting to prevent the fraud that you're complaining about doesn't change your opinion?

That leads me to believe that you aren't against fraud. Instead, you are ideologically opposed to the program and use fraud as an excuse to attack it.

You said this:

I showed that the agency is in fact acting to control and eliminate fraud. Now you seem to be saying that you don't really care.

Strange.

• Fire 1

So . . . government acting to prevent the fraud that you're complaining about doesn't change your opinion?

That leads me to believe that you aren't against fraud. Instead, you are ideologically opposed to the program and use fraud as an excuse to attack it.

You said this:

I showed that the agency is in fact acting to control and eliminate fraud. Now you seem to be saying that you don't really care.

Strange.

So you are convinced that one agency in one town means that it is under control? You are a man of mighty faith Carl.....

You said this:

Strange.

So you are convinced that one agency in one town means that it is under control? You are a man of mighty faith Carl.....

No.

Look at the left side under the picture. :facepalm:

If I'm not mistaken these free / subsidized phone services are paid for with the universal service fund (one of those fees you see on your phone bill). I have to agree that the utility of the FCC administrating this program is dubious at best when anyone can get basic mobile phone service for like $5-10 month now, and the same company (or companies, not sure) also service the Lifeline accounts. At some point people have to prioritize their spending if $5 / month is out of reach. The FCC is probably paying far more than $5-10 for the service and who knows what for those old recycled phones.

If I'm not mistaken these free / subsidized phone services are paid for with the universal service fund (one of those fees you see on your phone bill). I have to agree that the utility of the FCC administrating this program is dubious at best when anyone can get basic mobile phone service for like $5-10 month now, and the same company (or companies, not sure) also service the Lifeline accounts. I mean, at some point people have to prioritize their spending if $5 / month is out of reach, and the FCC is probably paying far more than $5-10 for the service and way more than free for the phones, because they are mostly phones that were dumped in the recycle bin.

If the discussion is whether or not we should pay for this program, I agree.

The OP was about fraud and inefficiency.

Last year, the Federal Communications Commission paid $1.75 billion to telecommunication companies to provide landline and cell service to poor families.

LINK

There are about 240 million people in the U.S. aged 17 years and over. The FCC's $1.75 billion budget for this program works out to be about $7.25 per person. At that quantity--one-quarter billion cell phones--we should be able to provide every person in America with a cheap phone.

Our gov't is a stupid.

/ Which goes to show that "government inefficiencies" is an oxymoron.

The FCC's $1.75 billion budget for this program works out to be about $7.25 per person. At that quantity--one-quarter billion cell phones--we should be able to provide every person in America with a cheap phone.

Or 1/12th of a Verizon smartphone...with 2GB of data :lol:

The FCC's $1.75 billion budget for this program works out to be about $7.25 per person. At that quantity--one-quarter billion cell phones--we should be able to provide every person in America with a cheap phone.

Or 1/12th of a Verizon smartphone...with 2GB of data :lol:

I figure that, if I can buy a cheap trak phone at Rite Aid Drug for about $15 or so, you could probably get them for somewhat under $10 if you bought a large enough quantity. Say, a quarter billion of them.

Here is a current link to the phones in question.

http://obamaphone.net/

The program is old. Very. Initially started for folks with land line issues and progressed to cell phones under GW.

Any program, over seen by the Feds is wrought with fraud. Welfare, medicare (google durable medical goods fraud), food stamps, WIC, EBT, SS, etc..... This program is simply one that someone has decided to point out.

For the record approx 35% of Americans qualify for this phone. Started by RR, enhanced by Clinton, cell phones added under GB and tracphones came online with Obama.

No politician, R or D, ants to get tough on the issue. Hell some oppose an actual Govt issued photo ID to vote. Most are against drug testing for those on welfare or getting unemployment benefits. IMO, you are receiving federal funds, you are now a federal employee. Subject to the same requirements. Think it infringes on "your rights", don't accept the fed money. Selling your EBT card or WIC for cash to strangers, easy fix. Photo on voucher with thumb print verification much like banks when cashing checks. You are not in the system associated with card you can't use it. Food stamps at 4-1 at the local convenience store etc....Phone fraud, a national database as it is FCC funding (Fed monies) then enter the name, DOB, SSN etc of the person getting the phone. You get one. Lose it, go hit CVS and buy the next one on your dime.

It comes down to hard choices. Is America ready to make them.

• Fire 1

Here is a current link to the phones in question.

http://obamaphone.net/

The program is old. Very. Initially started for folks with land line issues and progressed to cell phones under GW.

Any program, over seen by the Feds is wrought with fraud. Welfare, medicare (google durable medical goods fraud), food stamps, WIC, EBT, SS, etc..... This program is simply one that someone has decided to point out.

For the record approx 35% of Americans qualify for this phone. Started by RR, enhanced by Clinton, cell phones added under GB and tracphones came online with Obama.

No politician, R or D, ants to get tough on the issue. Hell some oppose an actual Govt issued photo ID to vote. Most are against drug testing for those on welfare or getting unemployment benefits. IMO, you are receiving federal funds, you are now a federal employee. Subject to the same requirements. Think it infringes on "your rights", don't accept the fed money. Selling your EBT card or WIC for cash to strangers, easy fix. Photo on voucher with thumb print verification much like banks when cashing checks. You are not in the system associated with card you can't use it. Food stamps at 4-1 at the local convenience store etc....Phone fraud, a national database as it is FCC funding (Fed monies) then enter the name, DOB, SSN etc of the person getting the phone. You get one. Lose it, go hit CVS and buy the next one on your dime.

It comes down to hard choices. Is America ready to make them.

Why do they call it an Obamaphone? Those fake websites crack me up.

• Fire 1