One Win by 2 doesn't mean Progress

Let me begin by saying, I am glad we are going to a bowl. It will be nice to see the BIG RED back on the football field during the holidays. However can we look at the whole season. We did start 5-1, but who did we beat...Maine, Wake & a very down Pitt (may I remind you that was by a blocked field goal.) Then the next few games we fell behind by large margins, only to have to fight back and come up short. This started a streak I never thought I would see...3 losses in a row, consecutive losses at home, and a defeat at the hands of Kansas. The thing that concerns me of this game...is I am hearing the defense (who was a huge reason we started 5-1) is now admitting they did not show up. Husker fans, I would love it if we defeated Colorado, but we are going on the road...Boulder. Colorado lives for this game...they mark it on their schedule. We better hope we get the defense that played when we were 5-1, and not the defense that is admitting not showing up for the Kansas Game. 6-5 and a bowl game is not progress, when you look at the whole season. I believe there is talent on this team...however we have not seen a complete game out of this team yet, and it's going to take a complete game to beat Colorado. We made our bowl, we are going to have a winning season, but this team is not much better than last year...even with a Top 5 recruiting class.

I'd like to add that there was pressure all year on this team and coaching staff to "make a bowl."

Now that they have accomplished that, I feel they will be more relaxed and play as they did towards the begining of the season.

The pressure is off, the kids should be explosive in Boulder.

As always, GBR! :thumbs

I think a lot of the disappointement for this season is the fact that the team seemed to play so well after the first half against Texas Tech. It seems like it was all downhill from there. When I saw them play the 2nd half against Tech I saw sparks of greatness, but it seemed like since then they have lost the passion or something.

I guess I saw great things in that game and they have seemed flat ever since.

Patience. Baby steps. Insert your favorite cliche here____________________.

Going bowling IS an improvement over last year.

Pure fact, last year NU stayed home, this year a bowl game. Doing better than last year = improvement.

dedhoarsededhoarsededhoarsededhoarse

That's all you can ask for now. :horns2

GO CALLY! :worship

Beat CU!!

Going bowling IS an improvement over last year.

I guess that statement is debatable at best. I would say that if you actually watch the performance of the team on the field, they have made no progress in 21 games, and I think that the argument can be made that they have gotten worse in alot of areas.

IMO, pretty much no 6-5 team deserves to go to a bowl game. No props.

What about a 7-4 team? :blink:

Maybe, it depends. Bottom line, there are WAAAAAAYYYYYYY too many bowl games. It used to be an honor and a privilege to go to a bowl game. Now, any team with 6 wins can make it.

You're already sold on that NU will lose to CU.

They could win the game. However, CU always plays NU tough at home, NU sucks on the road since billy c was hired, and CU has a much better coach. Pretty much everyone has mailed this one in.

Could NU pull it out, sure. Will they....doubtful.

It's all about money, Former. You know that as well as I do.

And you're right, it used to be an honor. But Collegiate Athletics has gone "corporate" on us.

Let me rephrase that...College Football has gone corporate on us. And why? The next step is the NFL.

Somebody's got their hands in the cookie jar.

Good thing your opinion doesn't count. I'm sure the players would disagree with you.

Bowl game vs no bowl game............

dedhoarsededhoarsededhoarse

.............hmmmm sounds like improvement to me. I guess we'll just disagree on that one.

Go Cally!! FOUR MORE YEARS! :worship

:bounce:bounce:bounce:bounce

Maybe, it depends. Bottom line, there are WAAAAAAYYYYYYY too many bowl games. It used to be an honor and a privilege to go to a bowl game. Now, any team with 6 wins can make it.

Then why was it such a big deal that NU didn't make a bowl game last year at a possible 6-5? You make such a big deal out of not getting the 6th win last year and not making a bowl. If it is no longer a priviledge and honor to go to a bowl game, then why did the bowl streak mean anything to you? Just curious. :blink:

I agree with clone though, I am sure the fact that this team made it to a bowl is going to pump these kids up. Good for them. :horns2

Thanks for not using caps, BIGREDIOWAN.

I would like to clarify what I said above about the bowl games and honor.

I have always appreciated Nebraska's bowl streak. I remember watching them play in the mid-70's in the John Hancock Bowl or something like that...or was it the Independence Bowl? Well, whatever the case, I don't want to get misconstrued that I don't appreciate them making a bowl.

I just agree that there have been too many bowls generated from the days that I can remember when it meant something for a team to go to a major bowl game.

And back then (60's, 70's and 80's) that's all you pretty much had.

It's generated into a money making monster IMO.

Great to see teams play that normally would never make a bowl (and don't take away the fact that I thoroughly enjoy watching ALL of the bowl games in December. It extends my college football season) but it's not like it use to be.

Thanks. :)

Then why was it such a big deal that NU didn't make a bowl game last year at a possible 6-5? You make such a big deal out of not getting the 6th win last year and not making a bowl. If it is no longer a priviledge and honor to go to a bowl game, then why did the bowl streak mean anything to you? Just curious. :blink:

It meant alot because it was one of the greatest streaks in the history of all sports. To keep it going was very important, but billy c didnt.

Now its over, and a trip to the net1.com bowl, or whatever it is, doesnt mean anything IMO. I still stand by the thought that most 6-5 teams dont deserve a bowl game.

It meant alot because it was one of the greatest streaks in the history of all sports. To keep it going was very important, but billy c didnt.

Now its over, and a trip to the net1.com bowl, or whatever it is, doesnt mean anything IMO. I still stand by the thought that most 6-5 teams dont deserve a bowl game.

Does that include a 7-6 Frank Solich team? Who ended up 7-7.

Greatest streaks? Even though recently it was held up by lower tier bowls?

Either it is or it isn't important, period. Last year it was important to up hold OMG THE STREAK! *gag*, even though we would have gone to the same kind of bowl we will this year had we gained a 6th win last year? You can't knock going to Bob's bowl this year because you would have taken it last year so the numbers on the paper would keep going.

If you happen to come across a NU football player between now and the bowl game, make sure and mention that you think they don't deserve a bowl game. :thumbs