Week 1 Coverage Map

I'm sure we're all very impressed that you don't care. Chest pounding aside, I just got done talking about tomorrow's game with a coach. They're expecting a dogfight. Doesn't seem like the coaches expect a blowout.

Has a coach ever told you they expected the game to be over by the half? As a player or coach, you should always expect a dogfight. That's just a good approach to the game. As fans, we can have any expectation we feel like. And it won't make any difference to the outcome.

I normally agree with your reasoning, knapplc, but you're trying to convince people that your prediction is in some way "more realistic" than theirs. I don't see how that's true. Your basic argument is that NU has played poorly against overmatched foes in the past. But NU has also blown out overmatched foes. So neither opinion looks "more realistic" to me. And when I look at NU's talent, experience, and coaching compared to USM, I just don't think it's likely to be closer than 20 points by the end.

I'm sure we're all very impressed that you don't care. Chest pounding aside, I just got done talking about tomorrow's game with a coach. They're expecting a dogfight. Doesn't seem like the coaches expect a blowout.

Has a coach ever told you they expected the game to be over by the half? As a player or coach, you should always expect a dogfight. That's just a good approach to the game. As fans, we can have any expectation we feel like. And it won't make any difference to the outcome.

I normally agree with your reasoning, knapplc, but you're trying to convince people that your prediction is in some way "more realistic" than theirs. I don't see how that's true. Your basic argument is that NU has played poorly against overmatched foes in the past. But NU has also blown out overmatched foes. So neither opinion looks "more realistic" to me. And when I look at NU's talent, experience, and coaching compared to USM, I just don't think it's likely to be closer than 20 points by the end.

This.

I would like nothing more than, five or six weeks into the season, for you guys to come back and point out this thread and say "O ye of little faith" to me. But I don't have faith that we've fixed all that ailed us these past few seasons. I have hope, and I'm certainly ready for it, but I don't have faith.

We'll see in a little over 24 hours. Then we can all actually speak from a position of fact, not supposition.

I would like nothing more than, five or six weeks into the season, for you guys to come back and point out this thread and say "O ye of little faith" to me. But I don't have faith that we've fixed all that ailed us these past few seasons. I have hope, and I'm certainly ready for it, but I don't have faith.

We'll see in a little over 24 hours. Then we can all actually speak from a position of fact, not supposition.

I'd like to see the non-con, and some of Wisconsin's and OSU's non-con before I even try to predict games 5 or 6 weeks from now.

I didn't predict we've fixed all that's ailed us the last few seasons (strawman argument), I predicted we blow out an Austin Davis-less Southern Miss. If he was still on the roster, instead of in the NFL, I would be singing a different tune about this game. Without him, they're nowhere near the same 12-2 team they were last year. Their defense is fine, for a C-USA defense , but will still probably be the 7th or 8th best defense we see this year.

All that being said, there's always a chance these guys play the game of their life, and Nebraska comes out flat. But intangible things like that take away the fun of predicting games. At least for me. I like analyzing actual match-ups, that's usually the most accurate and reasonable way to predict football games.

I didn't predict we've fixed all that's ailed us the last few seasons (strawman argument), I predicted we blow out an Austin Davis-less Southern Miss. If he was still on the roster, instead of in the NFL, I would be singing a different tune about this game. Without him, they're nowhere near the same 12-2 team they were last year. Their defense is fine, for a C-USA defense , but will still probably be the 7th or 8th best defense we see this year.

Note - I'm not saying you or anyone said that. I'm not trying to make a strawman, I'm saying I hope in that time we've fixed our issues. Tomorrow's game won't show that we have, blowout or not. Maybe not even against UCLA. But if we play consistently good football for a few weeks in a row, I think we'll all agree we've taken that next step.

All that being said, there's always a chance these guys play the game of their life, and Nebraska comes out flat. But intangible things like that take away the fun of predicting games. At least for me. I like analyzing actual match-ups, that's usually the most accurate and reasonable way to predict football games.

That's what I've been doing. ;)