Here's why Football 101 has been on hiatus the last two years

knapplc

Morgan says she suffered a traumatic brain injury, a subdural hematoma that required brain surgery, and a right rotator cuff injury that required surgery to repair tendons.

Really, a subdural hemotoma and rotator cuff injury that both required surgery? Either she is full of it, those other women should be signed to scholarship, or this woman had preexisting conditions and was a train wreak waiting to happen anyways. I can not possibly fathom how someone could get that messed up by getting knocked on their ass in a ball carrying drill!

I retract a portion of my :facepalm: .

She experienced a subdural hematoma. You don't just make that up. It's visible on CT/MR. The physician chose to do surgery, not a decision that anyone takes lightly. There was obvious harm from the accident.

IF she didn't understand what was about to happen (IOW, didn't see other participants go through the drill) and some overzealous person decided to knock her off her feet (66 year old women aren't known for their YAC ability), then I could see how there was a failure to provide informed consent. Unfortunately, Beck and Bo likely didn't know that somebody would take the drill a bit too seriously and completely level her so it really is too bad that the situation became so complicated.

Even good intentions can have bad outcomes. The part about "punitive" damages does rub me the wrong way though... Bad situation all the way around.

What I find interesting is that she said she doesn't know football other than being a fan and she had no idea how to do the drill and didn't know it would be physical like that, but it also says she was 3rd or 4th in line. After the first few people went through you would think she would have known how physical it was going to be.

Yep. We're screwed. The world as a whole I mean. Seriously. Morons like are runnin the country.

i do not know how true that is. it is an easy position to take, because then complex tort issues can be boiled down to just a epidemic of idiots. there are a lot of cases labeled as 'frivolous' that are quite reasonable. this may or may not be one of those, but it is never a good idea to rush to judgment.

Hesitancy in judgment is the only true mark of the thinker.

- by Runes, Dagobert D.

Guess I didn't read the age, that makes more sense. But you would think she would have seen what was going on. I know she wants money for her damages and she will get it from the charity, but wouldn't the people with the pads be more at fault than the organization or Beck?

Guess I didn't read the age, that makes more sense. But you would think she would have seen what was going on. I know she wants money for her damages and she will get it from the charity, but wouldn't the people with the pads be more at fault than the organization or Beck?

First rule of lawsuits - never sue the poor. Blokes like you and me wouldn't be worth their time to sue. Sue the money.

First rule of lawsuits - never sue the poor. Blokes like you and me wouldn't be worth their time to sue. Sue the money.

Yep. Judgment proof defendants are . . . well . . . judgment proof.

I realize that, I'm just saying isn't that ultimately where the blame lies? Probably not in the court's eyes but I would like to think that we are all responsible for our own actions. Then again there are quite a few psychological studies that prove the opposite.

• Fire 1

I realize that, I'm just saying isn't that ultimately where the blame lies? Probably not in the court's eyes but I would like to think that we are all responsible for our own actions. Then again there are quite a few psychological studies that prove the opposite.

Totally agree. While it's possible (evidence pending) that Beck and/or the charity are to blame for not adequately informing the participants that the drill they were about to engage in could result in injury, in the end it's the other participants who were knocking this woman about. Since they were the ones hitting her (or holding the pads while she hit them, not sure how that worked), to me it seems logical they're more directly to blame.

Just realized (because I'm slow on the uptake) that a copy of the filing is included with the article I linked above. She's suing for $92,563.90 related to injury and treatment, and unspecified damages.

According to the filing, a brief timeline of events:

6/2/10 - the plaintiff participates in the drill, is knocked to the ground, and injured

6/7/10 - she sees her doctor for symptoms related to being knocked down

6/8/10 - Doctor orders an MRI, the results of which are negative (which, according to the filing, is not uncommon with this type of injury)

8/9/10 - After feeling ill while trying to work out, the plaintiff went to the ER, where a procedure was performed to relieve pressure caused by a subdural hematoma on her brain

2/3/11 - The plaintiff undergoes rotator cuff surgery to repair damage caused by her fall at Football 101

Okay, I'm doubtful that a lawsuit is warranted here. But it really was pretty stupid of Beck to let a 66 year old woman run the gauntlet drill and encourage other women to wallop her with blocking pads. Heck, we've all run the gauntlet drill in high school right? It seems like some kid was always getting clocked in that drill--usually a sophomore or one of the smaller players. And it generally happened towards the end of the line where the coaches weren't paying much attention. That's where you could get the really good shots in. errrr, at least that's what people told me. :lol:

If this drill was done the way other drills were done when I went to Football 101 with the wife, they ask for volunteers, they don't force you to participate.

Also, this woman doesn't look 64 years old to me, at least not in the picture I've seen of her. Then again, my mom was 64 when she passed away, and people often mistook her for my sister, so who knows.