What We Learned

walksalone

Also anybody else notice a couple of plays in a row where we bring the normal four d linemen and EM breaks around the edge and their QB stepped up or scrambled for a good chunk of yrds. Where were the DTs on that play? Can they not see beyond the O-line? Plus the line as far as I remember didnt knock down any passes when alot of passes were simple fast slant routes right down the middle. Our DTs are easily the weakest part of our defense.

This. Suh made Crick look very good. After Suh was gone, Crick never did one thing to make me go "wow". With that said, Crick made Steinkuhler look good. Now that Crick's gone. Well, you get the point. Meredith? meh, what has happened to him? He just looks so disinterested. Why is he covering rb's out of the backfield? Ankrah. Ok. Need fulltime Joe carter and Eric Martin

and might as well throw the big frosh DTs to the wolves and turn'em loose.

• Fire 1

Good learning experience for this team and these coaches. I just keep wondering how many learning experiences we have to put these guys through. This was a tough one. Hard fought game, proud of the young men on that field. They just got whooped. This game was a street fight, and UCLA clearly fought like it was. Very impressive team UCLA is. I wish Nebraska was as physical and aggressive as those guys are.

Yes. Once UCLA got a taste that they could win it, they put the hammer down and all a sudden it was us looking overmatched and timid.

My questions/observations FWIW:

1. Why does our D-Line line up 1-2 yards off the ball, then not move forward when the ball is snapped? We lose all that ground each play (hence the reason everybody cuts us for 3-9 yards a run)

2. Not one player on our team is to blame for this loss themselves. They ALL were horrible. But let's hope Pelini doesn't go nuts on them for this absolute let down. We've seen him punish these players before after a disgusting loss. It just demoralizes them and they don't play worth a shi* the rest of the year.

3. Pelini is riding on thin ice. Maybe not with the university, but he has to be with the fans. Examples:

a. How many stud recruit players have transferred (or left) from the program under his tenure? I can think of multiple players in just this past off season (Green, Moore) His

coaching style is not conducive to this generation of college kid.

b. Hiring from within the program (or your personal friends) is not the answer. Papuchis, Beck, Cotton- These guys will never lead us to the national standings that we desire.

c. The defensive scheme has been broke down and understood by all FBS teams throughout the country. There is not one team in the country at this point who can't put up

decent numbers against our D. Not un-Godly numbers, but decent numbers. Our defense can't always be the tortouse and the opponent be the hare. That trick only

works once.

4. Our players continually fall back to basic problems (year after year) with poor takling, bad decisions under pressure, horrible blocking, etc...

I don't have any answers, and I definitely couldn't do any better...but there is somebody out there who can. Multiple people who can (see Urban Meyer, Nick Saban, Les Miles, etc.) This game has changed so it's time we do too. We have to use what the other's do to get the job done. We have to stop trying to coach the way we always have and match up with what the champs do. (I know that means recruiting changes too) Sometimes it isn't so bad to see how champions are doing it and replicate that process.

This game was a major black eye to our team, university, conference. Unless things change somehow, we will have to accept the fact that we will NEVER be a powerhouse team again. EVER.

I have learned/confirmed that Nebraska is a job training program.

I have learned/confirmed that Nebraska does not have the quality of coaches they deserve.

I have learned/confirmed that Nebraska has failed terribly on recruiting, or is afraid to use the young talent, that still has desire to win, but losing it setting on the bench or in a Red shirt year. I saw 8 true Freshmen start tonight for a team most felt was far below us.

I have learned/confirmed that our coaching staff is not capable of leading, teaching or motivating talent. That this staff was capable of making prior recruits prosper, not the ones they recruit. Back to the Solich years.

Nebraska is a top 5 program, or were at one time. This program deserves top of the line coaching, from head coach to all the assistants. It may be time for Coach Osborne to move on as he is against spending money to further the program on the coaching side. We need an aggresive AD, like the ones in the SEC, as this is the sport that pays the bills. Many problems with this program, and it is far from the kids playing the game.

Start blaming the problem, not the results of the problem.

Winners make real money in College football, and not just the head coach. Bama, LSU, Georgia, Florida, Oregon pay more for their head coaches than we pay our whole staff. Changes need to be made if we want to be an elite program. Nothing could be farther from us being that now.

I have learned/confirmed that Nebraska does not have the quality of coaches they deserve.

I have learned/confirmed that Nebraska has failed terribly on recruiting, or is afraid to use the young talent, that still has desire to win, but losing it setting on the bench or in a Red shirt year. I saw 8 true Freshmen start tonight for a team most felt was far below us.

I have learned/confirmed that our coaching staff is not capable of leading, teaching or motivating talent. That this staff was capable of making prior recruits prosper, not the ones they recruit. Back to the Solich years.

Nebraska is a top 5 program, or were at one time. This program deserves top of the line coaching, from head coach to all the assistants. It may be time for Coach Osborne to move on as he is against spending money to further the program on the coaching side. We need an aggresive AD, like the ones in the SEC, as this is the sport that pays the bills. Many problems with this program, and it is far from the kids playing the game.

Winners make real money in College football, and not just the head coach. Bama, LSU, Georgia, Florida, Oregon pay more for their head coaches than we pay our whole staff. Changes need to be made if we want to be an elite program. Nothing could be farther from us being that now.

AMEN- My thoughts exactly! See my prior post, but if we don't do what is working for the current stud teams...then we will never be in that category.

I had expected this, expect more of them this year. I am done venting over this disgrace of game. Off to bed, and I will not have trouble sleeping as this has become an expected end to a tough game.

I hope the kids get over it quickly and the coaches find some semblance of ability to help them improve. But I have my doubts.

You must feel terrible but it's not a program wrecking defeat. UCLA is finally using their athletic talent. I was really pulling for you but got distracted by the Arkansas collapse.

I learned you need better skill position players and need them soon. There was no reason for ex Irish player Fauria to win jump balls or your DBs to get there a second too late, again and again.

Tmart does not seem to be the passing threat that you want him to be. I just don't see him becoming one.

You may be right. God help us, but at the end of this season we may be at a crossroads. Ive come to the realization that we are an 8-10 win team. Consistently, but no better. It may just be the way it is. Do we want to abondon what makes this program special so we can do the dirty things it takes to win the MNC? It's a crossroads, that's for damn sure. With that being said, if Bo continues to win 9+ games regardless, he is staying, but the minute he drops to 7 or maybe even 8, that may be when the pressure drops the axe. No way we can fire him for 9 wins, even if its 15 years from now. That's why we're still trying to "rebuild" 10 years later.

You must feel terrible but it's not a program wrecking defeat. UCLA is finally using their athletic talent. I was really pulling for you but got distracted by the Arkansas collapse.

I learned you need better skill position players and need them soon. There was no reason for ex Irish player Fauria to win jump balls or your DBs to get there a second too late, again and again.

Tmart does not seem to be the passing threat that you want him to be. I just don't see him becoming one.

Congrats on the win today.

As for TMart, this is why you can't put him in in situations where it's all on his arm. He is what he's gonna be. I could slap Coach Beck in the head after we left the power run game.

If we want peleni head on a platter, who do we want ???

I hear there's an up-and-comer named Frank Solich that has a pretty stout Ohio team in the MAC...

...regardless, if we're going to warm Bo's seat, we need to make sure we know the name we want. An aimless mob mentality got us Callahan and Pedeyshine last time...but I'm starting to think there may be something to what Jason Peter has been saying.

What's Jason Peter been saying?