Compton "Throwing the Bones"

Bowfin

Really?!!!! This should be the last thing that fans should be B & M'ing over!

I totally understand that the coaching staff should bear the criticism. They are paid professionals, and in this in this profession, criticism is part of the job. But no "fan" should not come out and pile on a bunch of 18-22 year olds. They want to compete and win way more than any of us fans!

• Fire 1

Will Compton is a starting senior middle linebacker. He's the "leader" of the defense.

By definition, he gets to decide when throwing the bones is appropriate. It's his and his defense's tradition, not "ours".

Kinda like when the Pope can say something, Catholics gotta believe he's speaking the truth.

Compton is the equivalent of the Pope in this scenario.

He has "Blackshirt Infallibilty"

the worst, best option at LB we have ever had at nebraska.

Ahhhh......remember the days when we sat here and bitched about no one on the defense showing any kind of fire or passion?????

And Compton has been one of the best players on defense even if that isn't saying much. Rewatch the game and see the number of times he was picked when Franklin motioned out of the backfield.

I know! What are players expected to do when fighting for a win at the end of a game, hang their heads? Walk around limp and subdued?

Defense needs to feed off of each others' energy at all times. I love it.

• Fire 1

I know! What are players expected to do when fighting for a win at the end of a game, hang their heads? Walk around limp and subdued?

As said before: Get ready for the next play.

When players are fighting for a win at the end of the game, marching around like a buffoon is not as helpful as talking to the other linebackers and cornerbacks, trying to figure out how to cover the running back crossing the middle of the field.

Once the game is won, Compton and company can throw the bones, do somersaults, build a human pyramid or anything else that gets them fired up and show spirit. Take care of business first.

Go back and look at the films of the '94-'95 Nebraska offensive lines. Maybe a handshake deep in the end zone after they pushed the other guys there for the fifth consecutive time. Otherwise they got back on their side of the line and got ready to do the same thing again...like they expected it to happen.

I realize I am old school. That being said I don't understand the celebration mentality of this generation. I know they are trying to emulate what they see on Sunday NFL. That is exactly why I don't watch NFL games. I think exactly what Bowfin said above. If after the win is secured then a player can do whatever the refs will allow. If a team or any player needs a "throw the bones" or a victory dance to get them pumped then go right ahead....party all you want. A good team is already planning the next play and will probably run over or past you while you are still celebrating the last play. Don't get me wrong....I like Compton and think he represents Husker Nation with class. I'm proud he is wearing Husker scarlett on saturday afternoons.

It's pretty easy to be calm when you're up 5 scores.

Well, they didn't get up by five scores by dancing with themselves, and that's the lesson in this. All I am saying is that it might be more productive for Compton to concentrate on performing before the next whistle rather than after the last ones. Does anyone disagree with that premise? Tackles, pass breakups, turnovers, sacks. Things that change the game for the better.

This has to be one of the most ridiculous discussions ever on this board.

But you were drawn to it... Don't like it, move on. Attendance is not compulsory.

We haven't even discussed the chance that throwing the bones might lead to a penalty for excessive celebration...outside chance? Maybe, but how much is Compton & company willing to bet? Fifteen yards? Half the distance to the goal line? A first down?

Are you serious?

Our defense was fighting to keep us in that game. Which they did, up until the end when we handed them that turnover deep in our own territory.

I appluad the defense for having spirit and not giving up even after getting hit in the mouth. They were right to get amped up after every big fourth quarter stop. Without that fire, we lay down and give the game up. We lost, in the end, but we went down swinging.

Sorry I have to disagree, the defense did not keep us in the game. They gave up 600+ yards, thats not keeping us in the game. How many missed tackles and wide open WR's were there? You applaud the defense for not giving up? This is college football, they should be going hard no matter what. If they aren't then there's a spot on the bench.

I have to admit, I'm "old-school" also. I like the attitude of "I've done it before, no big deal". I'm knocked you on your a**, I'm going back to the huddle and getting ready to do it again on the next play. If you made a great play, everyone knows you did it, no need to stand out in the open and try to draw more attention to yourself. Then when you don't make the play, or the other guy whips your butt, do you stand out in front of everyone and hang your head so everyone also knows you were the one who screwed up?

Does anyone really believe that him throwing the bones fires up the rest of the defense? Most of them probably didn't even see him do it.

Sorry, I'm just old and crotchety, but I believe every player should have to watch old films of Walter Payton to see how to conduct yourself on the field.