It's Monday.............time to move on!!!!

BIGREDIOWAN

Clarify please. Are we to ignore the overwhelming problems much like this staff has done for a half a decade now. Even as terribly weak and out manned as the B1G is, we drop 5 games this season. We should be watching out for speed in Arky St.

UCLA came off losing season after losing season, slow players, new coach, 8 starting frosh and look how that ended up.

Why is it we always have to look forward as fans, there is a telephone book sized problem with the program going on over a dozen years and we are all supposed to lock step away from anything bad because it took Tom 22 years to figure out speed and athleticism wins

So you think we should continue to talk about these problems here? Why? We did that last year and the year before and the year before that. Did it make a difference? I'm serious. I appreciate your passion for the game but when is enough enough?

We should absolutely continue to talk about the problems that we have here. Yes, such problems were discussed at length last year and the year before that and even some the year before that. The reason? We keep seeing the exact same product on the field. The same mental lapses, the same breakdowns in technique, the same undisciplined and lackluster football. While I don't think we should dwell on the problems all week, I think it's silly to expect them not to be discussed.

Anyhow, I don't really know a whole lot about Arkansas State other than the fact that we opened up a 24.5 favorite, Gus Malzahn is the coach and that Michael Dwyer like the drugs a little too much and consequently got booted from Arky State.

I think it may be time for us to start a thread to try and get us moving away from this past Saturday and start talking about next Saturday. What's your thoughts on the game and if you've watched Arkansas State or are a fan of Arkansas State what players should we be looking out for?

Aplin is a better than average passer and he has wheels even though the new staff is trying to keep him from running as much.

Oku running ball, it quickly becomes obvious why he was signed by Tennessee, even though he didn't fit the Vols system.

Jarboe is a special wide-out. If you go look at the ESPN box score and click on videos to see the run by Hayes he lays a monster block. Wrap him up on receptions or he's getting extra yards. He leaves little doubt as to why OU signed him.

Rocky Hayes had four carries for 68 yards, an impressive stat when you consider that until Tuesday he was a defensive back who had never practiced on the offensive side of the ball.

Defense hasn't really had the BIG PLAY yet but Starson is showing flashes of being a big play DE. Andrew Tryon has shown big play potential but hasn't really put all together yet. Chaz Scales has been quieter this year than I expected.

Ok. Arkansas State: We play them this Saturday on ESPN2 at 11:00 a.m. (They're still ranking us at #24. Coaches poll!)

Here is what some of their fans are saying about their team. To me it sounded oh so familiar! Do they have a new coach as well? At least we have the film of their win against Memphis.

"The defense is not an attacking defense as had been told. We don't have the athletes to play a straight up defense. Starson is beast. But even Jones and Herrold (sp) looked lost at times. We can't wrap up for sh#t. Because of our size and lack of dimension, we need to be stunting and blitzing a lot to try and create mismatches in agility and speed. I am not impressed with schemes, the preparation and adjustments from Thompson - YET. He will either adjust or Gus will can him. It appears that the speed of the game will make it hard for the defense. We need to be a quality two deep in every position both sides of the ball. If we can ever get there, we will Dominate the SBC or any mid major.

#1 Total Offense ASU 574.5 smileyclap.gif

#10 Total Defense ASU 449.0 angry.gif

I agree... what A night... for those who have been following stAte for the a long time know we are heading in the right direction... a great game... a great college football atmosphere in Jonesboro... Memphis came to town to win... fought hard and the the Wolves said HOWLLL NO!!! NOT IN MY HOUSE!!! Malzahn gets his first win as a head coach... stAte is getting a indoor practice facility...(to piggie fans that means little bro is growing up) the Air Force fly over before the game was just sheer amazement!!! IT IS A GREAT TIME TO BE A RED WOLF... next up the upset special BEAT NEBRASKA!!!

Ok.Ok.U-Nebraska Game to be Televised on ESPN2

I was amazed at those numbers after I heard them after the game. I kept telling myself we were playing pretty good defense after the first TD by them but it seemed we struggled the whole game. I think it was mainly because I was especting..hoping for an easy game and it never was. I would not have given our offense really good grades but in the end we had over 600 yards and 33 points. Good job Redwolves!! Oh and most important a win.

As far as the game goes, I thought the D tightened up well, the offense was sharp and we are just scratching the surface on what Gus wants to do with the speed of the game. It will get faster and faster as we go and the kids get used to it. No comment on special teams....I think we all know the game is out of reach early if we don't play like crap in that phase.

On offense, ASU had 9 drives of 20 or more yards. Last year vs. Memphis it was nine.

Last night eight drives or 40 or more, last year seven.

Last night seven drives of 60 or more, last year five.

Last night six drives of 70 or more yards, last year four.

Last night three of 80 or more yards, same as last year.

Arkansas State put up 619 yards of offense, last year 611.

2 brand systems and a brand new coaching staff... I'd say our guys are picking it up better every day. I can't wait to see this team when they really get rolling this year.

Some things that stuck out to me:

Boy Aplin is a tough kid. Taking hits, throwing blocks, running the ball

Rocky Hays is an athlete! Malzahn saw this ability and got him involved in some huge offensive plays.

Oku is not your average Sunbelt running back, and it's obvious. His ability to keep plays alive, break a tackle or two, and get those extra 2-3 yards is a huge asset.

t appeared that our punt receivers were afraid to catch the ball (for fear of dropping) for the first 3 or 4 punts and then disaster when trying for a fair catch on the 5 yard line. Where is the coaching on that??? You stand at the 10 and if it goes over your head you let it go. That's not rocket science. Incidentally, on the dropped punt for a touchdown. I was on the east side on the top row - standing even with the receiver. I saw the fumble recovery pretty clearly asI was hoping for it to go out of the end zone, but I believe it was not in control of the Memphis player until he was on the white marked part of the end zone, which is out of the field of play. Should have been a touchback. Watching the replay I could see why it wasn't overturned. Not a good camera angle and too many bodies in the way. To overturn it must be clearly different that what the call was. Too bad on that one.

Is Arky States QB a scrambler?

I don't think so. His name is Ryan Aplin and he looks to be more of a pocket passer.

haha by his name? I like that, that's pretty good. Doesnt look like he runs much but when he does its effective. And we know how that goes against our boys. And their running back is averaging like 5.7 yards a carry as well.

Is Arky States QB a scrambler?

I don't think so. His name is Ryan Aplin and he looks to be more of a pocket passer.

haha by his name? I like that, that's pretty good. Doesnt look like he runs much but when he does its effective. And we know how that goes against our boys. And their running back is averaging like 5.7 yards a carry as well.

Oh goodness I misread what you meant. lol jesus my bad

Clarify please. Are we to ignore the overwhelming problems much like this staff has done for a half a decade now. Even as terribly weak and out manned as the B1G is, we drop 5 games this season. We should be watching out for speed in Arky St.

UCLA came off losing season after losing season, slow players, new coach, 8 starting frosh and look how that ended up.

Why is it we always have to look forward as fans, there is a telephone book sized problem with the program going on over a dozen years and we are all supposed to lock step away from anything bad because it took Tom 22 years to figure out speed and athleticism wins

SERIOUSLY ... are you serious? What a crappy first post. Be a man and come out of the closet. 10 years of problems and you choose today and this post as your first time to speak up. Don't sound like a fan to me ... just a coward.