Common thread with the last regime

DJR313

DJR, I agree this is a common thread - the annoyance with this type of coachspeak - but when Callahan was blasted for it, that was unfair, too. Just as it is now.

For one thing, both Bo and Callahan regularly pointed the thumb and took blame for their losses.

And on the other hand, this kind of message is the right one that coaches need to send. These coaches preach execution to their players all day long. When they don't do it, they need to be held accountable, rather than given excuses. On the other hand, the HC and the players are all in this together, and I think both parties understand that.

Fans are impossible to appease after a loss; there is just no way. The implication tied in with this particular dissatisfaction is that coaches are ducking responsibility for losing the chess match. But do you really think this staff isn't picking up two minutes after the press conference and going over everything that went wrong, trying to fix it?

While this is true, if it happens too often with too many players, then the coaching or the scheme is the problem not the players.

Here is my issue. It would appear, at least to me, that we are failing in part do to the "scheme" that is implemented on defense. Same with Beck and his Jekyll and Hyde offense (new name for it!). Do we really even have the players in place to execute the scheme that the coaches want. If not, then the coaches need to change the scheme to fit what they have, not the other way around. It is a "progress", but without the proper pieces in place (recruiting or lack thereof and player development or lack thereof) is squarely on the shoulders of the coaches.

With the acknowledgement of getting more speed in there, I think that Bo and Co might finally realize this. I didn't like Anderson's comments (IIRC) about having to meet with Bo one on one to learn the proper calls to make on D. Seems to complicated a scheme for a part time player like a student athlete. Nothing wrong with going simpler IMO. It is the coaches job to put a finished product on the field each and every Sat. If the scheme is to complicated in a "basic package", how does Bo expect to adjust on the fly?

On the field, it does "begin up front", but it really starts with the coaches, their schemes and play calls trying to get the kids in the best position to win. I am sure Bo does want them to win and badly,but he might just need to really examine his schemes and continually evaluate who is playing and who is not.

While this is true, if it happens too often with too many players, then the coaching or the scheme is the problem not the players.

Here's the problem with that, though. Coaches are still coaches. They set a tone for the team and are an example for them, when they give these press conferences. It is why it is important to preach execution, and also to take responsibility, the things that Bo has done. It's their job to be disappointed, to be pissed, even.

But the dissatisfied fans, watching these, they're just out for blood. No degree of self-flagellation would be enough. It's silly.

I guess I just dont understand what he's supposed to say. I know fans are unconsolable after a loss, but seriously, what do you want him to say. I suggest writing it down, sending it to him with a note that says "comments for your next loss". I know that our fanbase is so rampant that we hang on every word Bo says, but I personally think it's ridiculous that we critique and analyze every little word that comes out of his mouth. It's just as silly as the Taylor Martinez demeanor discussions. Even if it is the same thing every time, I guess I dont know what different he's supposed to say.

The problem for that coach was, He tried to change the culture here and nobody really wanted the guy here in first place.

This right here is what completed the destruction of Nebraska Football, I don't even know where to start with this horsedookie. How was it he tried to change the " Culture" again?

Was it where he did or didn't recruit felons like Osborne/McBride did to finally get it done? Was it where he actually played against a real schedule? Was it because his offenses were exciting to watch for the first time in 5 years? Was it because he was handed bare cupboards, but handed the next regime actual football players? Was it because he treated the fans/media with respect that was NEVER shown to him? I could go on for days about the way Cosgroves children were treated and all the other things YOU type of fans did that make me sick to admit I'm a 50 year Husker fan.

Please oh please tell me how he destroyed the "walk-on" program, shunned ex Nebraska players, and all the other made up BS, Osbornes golf outing?

Callahans flaw.....Cosgrove

If Bo Pelini represents our culture then our culture is garbage, he treats the fans like crap. the media like crap, the players like crap, I don't care if he treats his staff like crap, he picked the un-qualified garbage. He's only a decent DC when other talented recruiters build his defenses. He knows nothing of recruiting or talent. His game management is deplorable. I really can not come up with one admirable trait Pelini has that makes me say I want him at Nebraska

• Fire 4

The problem for that coach was, He tried to change the culture here and nobody really wanted the guy here in first place.

This right here is what completed the destruction of Nebraska Football, I don't even know where to start with this horsedookie. How was it he tried to change the " Culture" again?

Was it where he did or didn't recruit felons like Osborne/McBride did to finally get it done? Was it where he actually played against a real schedule? Was it because his offenses were exciting to watch for the first time in 5 years? Was it because he was handed bare cupboards, but handed the next regime actual football players? Was it because he treated the fans/media with respect that was NEVER shown to him? I could go on for days about the way Cosgroves children were treated and all the other things YOU type of fans did that make me sick to admit I'm a 50 year Husker fan.

Please oh please tell me how he destroyed the "walk-on" program, shunned ex Nebraska players, and all the other made up BS, Osbornes golf outing?

Callahans flaw.....Cosgrove

If Bo Pelini represents our culture then our culture is garbage, he treats the fans like crap. the media like crap, the players like crap, I don't care if he treats his staff like crap, he picked the un-qualified garbage. He's only a decent DC when other talented recruiters build his defenses. He knows nothing of recruiting or talent. His game management is deplorable. I really can not come up with one admirable trait Pelini has that makes me say I want him at Nebraska

:rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin

Srsly makes a number of good points, actually, and there is good reason to pay attention to them.

Callahan had a number of big problems. He stuck with Cosgrove at a time when he should have cut his buddy loose, and he really, really lost control of the team in 2007. Unforgivable.

But because fans have exiled him to the PNG realms, his legacy here has been surrounded in pointless hyperbole. The guy was a failure of a Head Coach, he wasn't evil.

Why is this important? Because at some point in the future of Nebraska football, another coach is going to be subject to the same silly hyperbole. Fans are going to turn on him for silly reasons. That coach could be Bo.

That's where I disagree with seriously, that last paragraph.

Srsly makes a number of good points, actually, and there is good reason to pay attention to them.

Callahan had a number of big problems. He stuck with Cosgrove at a time when he should have cut his buddy loose, and he really, really lost control of the team in 2007. Unforgivable.

But because fans have exiled him to the PNG realms, his legacy here has been surrounded in pointless hyperbole. The guy was a failure of a Head Coach, he wasn't evil.

Why is this important? Because at some point in the future of Nebraska football, another coach is going to be subject to the same silly hyperbole. Fans are going to turn on him for silly reasons. That coach could be Bo.

I should have specified in my quote what part I was laughing at, which was the last paragraph. He's going along and then he says that...

This right here is what completed the destruction of Nebraska Football, I don't even know where to start with this horsedookie. How was it he tried to change the " Culture" again? Was it where he did or didn't recruit felons like Osborne/McBride did to finally get it done? Was it where he actually played against a real schedule? Was it because his offenses were exciting to watch for the first time in 5 years? Was it because he was handed bare cupboards, but handed the next regime actual football players? Was it because he treated the fans/media with respect that was NEVER shown to him? I could go on for days about the way Cosgroves children were treated and all the other things YOU type of fans did that make me sick to admit I'm a 50 year Husker fan. Please oh please tell me how he destroyed the "walk-on" program, shunned ex Nebraska players, and all the other made up BS, Osbornes golf outing? Callahans flaw.....Cosgrove If Bo Pelini represents our culture then our culture is garbage, he treats the fans like crap. the media like crap, the players like crap, I don't care if he treats his staff like crap, he picked the un-qualified garbage. He's only a decent DC when other talented recruiters build his defenses. He knows nothing of recruiting or talent. His game management is deplorable. I really can not come up with one admirable trait Pelini has that makes me say I want him at Nebraska

While I respect your right to state your opinion you are SO wrong. I'm still recovering from what Callahan & Co. did to Nebraska football. He came in here and with his 'all star' team destroyed every record we held except for our sold out record. While he may have been a good NFL coach he was NOT a good college coach and that's ok-it happens to the best of them. Saban was a lousy NFL coach but is a great college coach. Nebraska football is more than just a game, it is part of our community. For someone who has been involved with the team for 50 years you of all people should realize that. I am appalled that you think so little of Bo. When Frank was fired after a 10-2 record no less, after he fired some of is best friends/colleagues and was STILL fired, fans were chanting in the stands for Bo. But no, we had to have some hot shot, big name, NFL coach for the Huskers. Oh everyone was singing his praises until he started to lose and boy did he lose. He could not develop the talent he had. His inflexibility of not getting rid of Cosgrove was telling of his entire attitude. When Bo came here this was a community shattered. Nebraska football was in the toilet A proud tradition that had been trampled-Bo gave us hope for our team. He has slowly built up the program once more. Does he have more work to do? Absolutely! But for someone to dismiss him as you do is really hard to stomach. I'm sorry but you're so wrong.

I should have specified in my quote what part I was laughing at, which was the last paragraph. He's going along and then he says that...

Prove me wrong .....

http://www.omaha.com/article/20120908/BIGRED/709089778/1716#chatelain-bo-has-lost-his-defensive-touch

Under the Rose Bowl lights, Bo starts scribbling with his left hand. His players huddle around him, leaning in to see the marker board. An official walks over and says it's time to play. Not yet. Bo isn't finished.

Zero pressure, he tells them. It means all-out blitz. Get to the quarterback.

The Huskers take the field. The crowd gets loud again.

Brett Hundley takes the shotgun snap, sees the blitz and swings the ball to his tailback, Johnathan Franklin. Nebraska is too slow.

Franklin picks up the first down. He doesn't stop there. As he powers into the end zone for the exclamation point, Bo Pelini says to no one in particular: “My fault.”

He curses and turns away. He grabs the headset and considers throwing it to the Rose Bowl turf. Instead, he turns back to his defense — staggering off the field — and says it again:

“My fault.”

Srsly makes a number of good points, actually, and there is good reason to pay attention to them. Callahan had a number of big problems. He stuck with Cosgrove at a time when he should have cut his buddy loose, and he really, really lost control of the team in 2007. Unforgivable. But because fans have exiled him to the PNG realms, his legacy here has been surrounded in pointless hyperbole. The guy was a failure of a Head Coach, he wasn't evil. Why is this important? Because at some point in the future of Nebraska football, another coach is going to be subject to the same silly hyperbole. Fans are going to turn on him for silly reasons. That coach could be Bo. That's where I disagree with seriously, that last paragraph.

Hey zoogs,

The problem with Callahan was that he was not cut out to be a college football coach. I shared that with Mr. Seriously (or Ms.-sorry don't know your gender :) )

That's ok! Saban tried the NFL and floundered but he's a great college football coach. I think it would've been cool to have had Frank stay as head coach, Callahan hired as offensive coordinator and Bo stay as defensive coordinator. Can you imagine the teams we would have! But Steve P wanted something else-something that turned out so wrong. Bill is back where he belongs in the NFL. Bo has a lot of flaws but he is growing every year. He has been more than cordial to the media, his players LOVE HIM, he has also been very careful on the sidelines. So, many of Mr./Ms. Seriously's comments are a little short sighted in my opinion. Hey, I may have to eat crow later but right now Bo Pelini is our coach and I'm going to support him.

• Fire 1

Eh, maybe. I don't know, I wouldn't say that is a definite. I think he's more suited to the coordinator role, or as one of the position coaches, whether in college or in the pros. I think he quite enjoyed his job here, working with college kids (before it went all down in flames...) He probably also is a good assistant HC, a role he carried with the Jets, for example, handling some administrative tasks. Could he be a good HC again at either level? Not sure, but maybe not.

The reason I shy away from that argument is because I don't know if the trend has too much basis in fact. And Bo, well, his entire upbringing as a coach was done in the NFL, where he cut his teeth for something like 9 years as a position coach at three different teams, learning his trade from some of the best pro coaches in the business. I remember an article where NFL personnel were talking about college coaches who could make the jump to the pro game, and they highlighted Bo Pelini as an example of a guy who "runs his team like an NFL team."

So, that is an argument I don't generally put much stock in. I like the way Bo's run this program, by and large.

This right here is what completed the destruction of Nebraska Football, I don't even know where to start with this horsedookie. How was it he tried to change the " Culture" again? Was it where he did or didn't recruit felons like Osborne/McBride did to finally get it done? Was it where he actually played against a real schedule? Was it because his offenses were exciting to watch for the first time in 5 years? Was it because he was handed bare cupboards, but handed the next regime actual football players? Was it because he treated the fans/media with respect that was NEVER shown to him? I could go on for days about the way Cosgroves children were treated and all the other things YOU type of fans did that make me sick to admit I'm a 50 year Husker fan. Please oh please tell me how he destroyed the "walk-on" program, shunned ex Nebraska players, and all the other made up BS, Osbornes golf outing? Callahans flaw.....Cosgrove If Bo Pelini represents our culture then our culture is garbage, he treats the fans like crap. the media like crap, the players like crap, I don't care if he treats his staff like crap, he picked the un-qualified garbage. He's only a decent DC when other talented recruiters build his defenses. He knows nothing of recruiting or talent. His game management is deplorable. I really can not come up with one admirable trait Pelini has that makes me say I want him at Nebraska

While I respect your right to state your opinion you are SO wrong. I'm still recovering from what Callahan & Co. did to Nebraska football. He came in here and with his 'all star' team destroyed every record we held except for our sold out record. While he may have been a good NFL coach he was NOT a good college coach and that's ok-it happens to the best of them. Saban was a lousy NFL coach but is a great college coach. Nebraska football is more than just a game, it is part of our community. For someone who has been involved with the team for 50 years you of all people should realize that. I am appalled that you think so little of Bo. When Frank was fired after a 10-2 record no less, after he fired some of is best friends/colleagues and was STILL fired, fans were chanting in the stands for Bo. But no, we had to have some hot shot, big name, NFL coach for the Huskers. Oh everyone was singing his praises until he started to lose and boy did he lose. He could not develop the talent he had. His inflexibility of not getting rid of Cosgrove was telling of his entire attitude. When Bo came here this was a community shattered. Nebraska football was in the toilet A proud tradition that had been trampled-Bo gave us hope for our team. He has slowly built up the program once more. Does he have more work to do? Absolutely! But for someone to dismiss him as you do is really hard to stomach. I'm sorry but you're so wrong.

I will respond because you actually offer up substance, substance leaning towards your opinion but never the less.

You say Bill destroyed every record but the "Sell out", not so fast.....Frank had already destroyed 42 of them and handed Callahan Joe Dailey. Don't get me wrong, Callahan needed to go because he retained Cosgrove, the same as Bo needs to go for retaining Cotton ( I doubt Bo has a choice) let me add one of your quotes here for prosperity

His inflexibility of not getting rid of Cosgrove/Cotton and all his kids was telling of his entire attitude.

Yes the fan base was shattered but it was shattered before Callahan stepped off the plane.......Poor inept Frank had already tanked the Ferrari which was Nebraska, people like to point to his last years joke of a schedule where we played a couple decent teams and got ROLLED. Please show me a Callahan year where we weren't playing BCS game opponent in conference. Bill got throttled by Leach, Frank got throttled by Shawn Watson. Bill was years removed fro a dynasty, Frank was handed the world. Bill played tough schedules, like I said, when Kansas and Mizzou are BCS contenders and Bill is still rebuilding with a terrible DC what do you think should happen?

You're appalled by my opinion of Bo? Time and time again he has proven just how much he doesn't belong anywhere near a Head coaching job, he and Bill should be facing each other in the NFL as coordinators. Just his "players in the doghouse " mentality alone is enough to say goodbye, the rest of the demeanor, terrible game planning, horrid preparation, recruiting......etc. etc. etc. is just icing on the cake. We are all supposed to love Bo because YOU wanted him after some MSU game where he beat a slow B1G team in a bowl, then Osborne hired the guy. I don't bow to Lord Osborne for anything, I think he's more at fault than Bo who's clearly out of his element of cursing at old men that destroy them on National TV. If Osborne and Perlman would unleash the chains off Pelini and let him be the arrogant, slobbering fool he really is, he may stand a chance.

• Fire 1