Common thread with the last regime

DJR313

I remember watching a show on espnu once that showed those coaches who jumped from the college ranks to the NFL. Saban was one of them, Spurrier another, Harbaugh from Standford yet another. Then I either read this or heard it on tv, NFL coaches who came to the college ranks and weren't all that great: Charlie Weis comes to mind, and of course Bill Callahan. I, too, like the way Bo runs this program. He's out to build up young men so that when they leave here, whether they play football or not, they can succeed. Not many coaches do that these days.

The problem for that coach was, He tried to change the culture here and nobody really wanted the guy here in first place.
This right here is what completed the destruction of Nebraska Football, I don't even know where to start with this horsedookie. How was it he tried to change the " Culture" again? Was it where he did or didn't recruit felons like Osborne/McBride did to finally get it done? Was it where he actually played against a real schedule? Was it because his offenses were exciting to watch for the first time in 5 years? Was it because he was handed bare cupboards, but handed the next regime actual football players? Was it because he treated the fans/media with respect that was NEVER shown to him? I could go on for days about the way Cosgroves children were treated and all the other things YOU type of fans did that make me sick to admit I'm a 50 year Husker fan. Please oh please tell me how he destroyed the "walk-on" program, shunned ex Nebraska players, and all the other made up BS, Osbornes golf outing? Callahans flaw.....Cosgrove If Bo Pelini represents our culture then our culture is garbage, he treats the fans like crap. the media like crap, the players like crap, I don't care if he treats his staff like crap, he picked the un-qualified garbage. He's only a decent DC when other talented recruiters build his defenses. He knows nothing of recruiting or talent. His game management is deplorable. I really can not come up with one admirable trait Pelini has that makes me say I want him at Nebraska

While I respect your right to state your opinion you are SO wrong. I'm still recovering from what Callahan & Co. did to Nebraska football. He came in here and with his 'all star' team destroyed every record we held except for our sold out record. While he may have been a good NFL coach he was NOT a good college coach and that's ok-it happens to the best of them. Saban was a lousy NFL coach but is a great college coach. Nebraska football is more than just a game, it is part of our community. For someone who has been involved with the team for 50 years you of all people should realize that. I am appalled that you think so little of Bo. When Frank was fired after a 10-2 record no less, after he fired some of is best friends/colleagues and was STILL fired, fans were chanting in the stands for Bo. But no, we had to have some hot shot, big name, NFL coach for the Huskers. Oh everyone was singing his praises until he started to lose and boy did he lose. He could not develop the talent he had. His inflexibility of not getting rid of Cosgrove was telling of his entire attitude. When Bo came here this was a community shattered. Nebraska football was in the toilet A proud tradition that had been trampled-Bo gave us hope for our team. He has slowly built up the program once more. Does he have more work to do? Absolutely! But for someone to dismiss him as you do is really hard to stomach. I'm sorry but you're so wrong.

I will respond because you actually offer up substance, substance leaning towards your opinion but never the less.

You say Bill destroyed every record but the "Sell out", not so fast.....Frank had already destroyed 42 of them and handed Callahan Joe Dailey. Don't get me wrong, Callahan needed to go because he retained Cosgrove, the same as Bo needs to go for retaining Cotton ( I doubt Bo has a choice) let me add one of your quotes here for prosperity

His inflexibility of not getting rid of Cosgrove/Cotton and all his kids was telling of his entire attitude.

Yes the fan base was shattered but it was shattered before Callahan stepped off the plane.......Poor inept Frank had already tanked the Ferrari which was Nebraska, people like to point to his last years joke of a schedule where we played a couple decent teams and got ROLLED. Please show me a Callahan year where we weren't playing BCS game opponent in conference. Bill got throttled by Leach, Frank got throttled by Shawn Watson. Bill was years removed fro a dynasty, Frank was handed the world. Bill played tough schedules, like I said, when Kansas and Mizzou are BCS contenders and Bill is still rebuilding with a terrible DC what do you think should happen?

You're appalled by my opinion of Bo? Time and time again he has proven just how much he doesn't belong anywhere near a Head coaching job, he and Bill should be facing each other in the NFL as coordinators. Just his "players in the doghouse " mentality alone is enough to say goodbye, the rest of the demeanor, terrible game planning, horrid preparation, recruiting......etc. etc. etc. is just icing on the cake. We are all supposed to love Bo because YOU wanted him after some MSU game where he beat a slow B1G team in a bowl, then Osborne hired the guy. I don't bow to Lord Osborne for anything, I think he's more at fault than Bo who's clearly out of his element of cursing at old men that destroy them on National TV. If Osborne and Perlman would unleash the chains off Pelini and let him be the arrogant, slobbering fool he really is, he may stand a chance.

I think that we can agree to disagree. :) Did you feel the way you do about Bo from the beginning? If we would've beat UCLA soundly would you still feel that way? I'm just curious. :) I know for me that when my emotions are involved they tend to color my opinion. When I see a coach pick up the pieces of a shattered program like Bo did, it gave me hope for our team. I didn't feel that way about Billy C. I tried to. But NFL coaches don't make good college coaches and vice versa. I know that Bo spent a lot of time in the NFL himself but he has been stellar on some great college teams. Don't all head coaches have to start somewhere? All I know is that every time a head coaching job comes up, Bo is on the list for hire. That says something to me. It says that we have a pretty good coach. One I would like to keep. I'm sorry you don't like him but I wonder if he started to win and win big if that would change your mind about him?

I remember watching a show on espnu once that showed those coaches who jumped from the college ranks to the NFL. Saban was one of them, Spurrier another, Harbaugh from Standford yet another. Then I either read this or heard it on tv, NFL coaches who came to the college ranks and weren't all that great: Charlie Weis comes to mind, and of course Bill Callahan. I, too, like the way Bo runs this program. He's out to build up young men so that when they leave here, whether they play football or not, they can succeed. Not many coaches do that these days.

Can you show an example of when Callahan didn't

The problem with Callahan is that he and his f-buddy Cosgrove would walk into the press conference after a blowout loss holding hands and tell everybody that they were doing everything perfect and it was all the players' faults.

Bo, on the other hand, most always takes the blame. Stating, "We didn't execute," isn't a shot at his players. It's a true statement.

Or....Cally stating that "its just another game". He lost me after that comment.

Nope. That wasn't my point. My point was that there are many coaches today that have a 'win at all cost' mentality (should've been more clear-sorry :) ) I hate that attitude in college football. I'm sure Bill did what he could for his players but how would you feel as a parent if a recruiter came into your living room and promised that playing for him would be 'the pipeline to the NFL' Wasn't that why Bill got so many 4 and 5 star recruits? Well, that didn't happen did it. I'm sure Bill was a good person he just wasn't a good college football coach.

I think that we can agree to disagree. :) Did you feel the way you do about Bo from the beginning? If we would've beat UCLA soundly would you still feel that way? I'm just curious. :) I know for me that when my emotions are involved they tend to color my opinion. When I see a coach pick up the pieces of a shattered program like Bo did, it gave me hope for our team. I didn't feel that way about Billy C. I tried to. But NFL coaches don't make good college coaches and vice versa. I know that Bo spent a lot of time in the NFL himself but he has been stellar on some great college teams. Don't all head coaches have to start somewhere? All I know is that every time a head coaching job comes up, Bo is on the list for hire. That says something to me. It says that we have a pretty good coach. One I would like to keep. I'm sorry you don't like him but I wonder if he started to win and win big if that would change your mind about him?

I was excited when Pelini was hired, who wasn't? The second he stuck his nose in Watsons business along with grand wizard Osborne, it was the beginning of the end. Watson and Callahans recruiting ( Suh and the others) is what made Bo reputable year one, the other is the ridiculously easy schedule Pelini has had since he's been here INCLUDING last year supposed smokescreen that's being exposed with every passing game. When non bowl/un ranked Texas beat us in Memorial, it was apparent Pelini was out of his league. You keep hoping, I've seen enough undisciplined preparation of our slow and sluggish team to know we will remain unranked from this point on if Pelini is retained. We will always have some lame excuse as to why we get throttled 4-7 times a year with weak schedules (7 starting this year even in a weak and terrible conference)

Oh, and Pelini is on no lists, some sportswriter places him on a list but after this year, his name will never be mentioned again, actually last weekend pretty much showed what Pelini is capable with HIS recruits and staff

Nope. That wasn't my point. My point was that there are many coaches today that have a 'win at all cost' mentality (should've been more clear-sorry :) ) I hate that attitude in college football. I'm sure Bill did what he could for his players but how would you feel as a parent if a recruiter came into your living room and promised that playing for him would be 'the pipeline to the NFL' Wasn't that why Bill got so many 4 and 5 star recruits? Well, that didn't happen did it. I'm sure Bill was a good person he just wasn't a good college football coach.

Can you give me an example of a coach with a win at all cost attitude? You mean like this one?

http://sportsillustr...k/phillips.html

Or like some other one that fits more into our supposed "culture"?

Srsly makes a number of good points, actually, and there is good reason to pay attention to them.

Callahan had a number of big problems. He stuck with Cosgrove at a time when he should have cut his buddy loose, and he really, really lost control of the team in 2007. Unforgivable.

But because fans have exiled him to the PNG realms, his legacy here has been surrounded in pointless hyperbole. The guy was a failure of a Head Coach, he wasn't evil.

Why is this important? Because at some point in the future of Nebraska football, another coach is going to be subject to the same silly hyperbole. Fans are going to turn on him for silly reasons. That coach could be Bo.

That's where I disagree with seriously, that last paragraph.

I can't believe that people are even drawing a comparison to Cally and Pelini. Ok.. we had a bad loss where we couldn't stop my grandma. But to say the two programs are similar is laughable. For one we had BC who some how put together one good season, had one at best average season and two years where suicide rates were through the roof in Nebraska because we stunk so bad. There really wasn't anything about winning or running a program or the ability to fix a problem shown from top to bottom.

Bo on the other hand has shown us to be a winning coach and someone who has been able to adapt in season to fix things. Sure they may not be to where he wants to them to be. Or they may not be fixed to a level that the fans feel easy about it but he's shown he can do things that help us win and he's done that on a regular basis which isn't easy. He also get's pissed when we lose. Cally would smile and not seem to care saying it was one game.

I think often that is just because we're a fan looking from the outside in at other programs we know nothing about. There are two sides to every story. I'd guess you'd put Lane Kiffin in the "win at all costs" group - yet if you talked to his players I'd bet they'd say something very different. Same goes for Urban, or Saban, etc. Just because they are winning, doesn't mean they win at all costs. Sure, they have a disproportionate number of prima-donna show-boats on their teams (because they can recruit), that are more interested with the NFL than college...but that's because those players can be --> they're good. They're winning. And there are still 100 other guys on the team that Kiffin, Saban and Urban are propping up for a career outside of football. Nebraska's currently just seen as this place where life after football is stressed above all else...because dang near every one of our players will need a life after their time playing football here. We aren't sending 10 to the draft. We'll send 2-3. And we aren't winning...so there is absolutely no way you could say we are a win at all costs team. We were during the 90's though. And we were winning.

The sad truth is that we have not executed in all areas of the game on the same day for a very... very long time. And people are starting to be become frustrated with it. I'm not willing to concede that this is the height of Pelini's ceiling, but he needs to prove a lot of people wrong in the next two seasons or he's going to be in trouble.

Srsly makes a number of good points, actually, and there is good reason to pay attention to them.

Callahan had a number of big problems. He stuck with Cosgrove at a time when he should have cut his buddy loose, and he really, really lost control of the team in 2007. Unforgivable.

But because fans have exiled him to the PNG realms, his legacy here has been surrounded in pointless hyperbole. The guy was a failure of a Head Coach, he wasn't evil.

Why is this important? Because at some point in the future of Nebraska football, another coach is going to be subject to the same silly hyperbole. Fans are going to turn on him for silly reasons. That coach could be Bo.

I can't believe that people are even drawing a comparison to Cally and Pelini. Ok.. we had a bad loss where we couldn't stop my grandma. But to say the two programs are similar is laughable. For one we had BC who some how put together one good season, had one at best average season and two years where suicide rates were through the roof in Nebraska because we stunk so bad. There really wasn't anything about winning or running a program or the ability to fix a problem shown from top to bottom.

Bo on the other hand has shown us to be a winning coach and someone who has been able to adapt in season to fix things. Sure they may not be to where he wants to them to be. Or they may not be fixed to a level that the fans feel easy about it but he's shown he can do things that help us win and he's done that on a regular basis which isn't easy. He also get's pissed when we lose. Cally would smile and not seem to care saying it was one game.

When has he showed he can win or adjust? Last year Northwestern at home ( almost as Bad as the Texas fiasco)? Michigan, Gamecocks Bowl game, UCLA game, PSU during the most horrible time in their history? Texas A & M........... I mean the list goes on and on and on and

Yeah Bill never got mad , throat slash and Fking hillbillies, it's amazing how soon we forget even right after getting schooled by a losing program full of freshman and a first year coach

I think often that is just because we're a fan looking from the outside in at other programs we know nothing about. There are two sides to every story. I'd guess you'd put Lane Kiffin in the "win at all costs" group - yet if you talked to his players I'd bet they'd say something very different. Same goes for Urban, or Saban, etc. Just because they are winning, doesn't mean they win at all costs. Sure, they have a disproportionate number of prima-donna show-boats on their teams (because they can recruit), that are more interested with the NFL than college...but that's because those players can be --> they're good. They're winning. And there are still 100 other guys on the team that Kiffin, Saban and Urban are propping up for a career outside of football. Nebraska's currently just seen as this place where life after football is stressed above all else...because dang near every one of our players will need a life after their time playing football here. We aren't sending 10 to the draft. We'll send 2-3. And we aren't winning...so there is absolutely no way you could say we are a win at all costs team. We were during the 90's though. And we were winning.

Good post, nail meet hammer

He does a good job making changes and progress throughout the year, but most of the times, it's when it's too late...and if you look at last year, i don't think it credits your argument...especially since our inconsistent play started during the non-conference and continued into November with Michigan, and January in our bowl game...I'm just afraid we will never get over the hump...and he has consistently has won 8 or 9 games a year which is great for most programs, but we are Nebraska, we want to be the powerhouse we once were, we want to be shown constant improvement and feel like we are closer to national prominence again....Coaching a team like Nebraska has got to be hell...when everyone is critiquing every move you make, and in your face about every loss you have. The pressure to succeed is incredibly high, but not incapable. I think besides BC...most coaches can come in here and consistently win 8 to 9 games...we have tradition and a great fan base which will continually bring in good players, no matter who the coach....BC brought in better recruits than we have had in a decade, even though he didn't know how to utilize them...With our schedule's year in and out, there are 7 or 8 wins every year no matter who the coach...

I'm sorry you thought that I was talking about Nebraska. I don't think we are a 'win at all cost' team. However, I do think Billy C made promises to get the players he wanted because he wanted to win-because we (Nebraska Nation) wanted to win. But it didn't work. I DO think that Kiffin is that type of coach. I really hated the way he treated Tennesee. I also have similar suspicions about Urban Meyer. Why didn't he stay at Florida? Because they weren't winning anymore and he wanted to coach a team that wins-all the time. Saban cuts players that won't perform for him after promising them scholarships. That's terrible! So my point, and I'm sorry I wasn't clear-is that there is more involved in the game than winning. Taking care of the players is most important and I think Bo does that. Did Bill do that? I'm sure he did but there was just something that was not there with him coaching at Nebraska.