Time for forced attrition??

C N Red

I wouldn't call Rome an underachiever. He started as a freshman (due to injury) and was a key contributor as a sophomore. Calling him a quitter would be fair though. He was obviously displeased about being pushed for playing time and quit. About the same as Moore and not that different from green. Sucks to lose talented kids, and I wish every one had stuck it out and kept fighting, but that sort of attitude is hardly compatible with the mental attitude Bo preaches as part of building a winning culture. Maybe it's something to do with the younger, instant gratification generations, but it's disappointing either way.

And no, we shouldn't run off kids that put in the work and do the right thing just because they're not good enough. Leave that to sleazy programs. It is one of our few recruiting advantages that we will treat your kid right as long as he holds up his end. Of course, that doesn't mean we can't have frank discussions with kids about their prospects for future playing time and the possibility they could play more somewhere else.

I would tend to agree with this except that I would have to believe that a "key contributor" would have more production than 4 tackles in 2 games.

I wouldn't call Rome an underachiever. He started as a freshman (due to injury) and was a key contributor as a sophomore. Calling him a quitter would be fair though. He was obviously displeased about being pushed for playing time and quit. About the same as Moore and not that different from green. Sucks to lose talented kids, and I wish every one had stuck it out and kept fighting, but that sort of attitude is hardly compatible with the mental attitude Bo preaches as part of building a winning culture. Maybe it's something to do with the younger, instant gratification generations, but it's disappointing either way.

And no, we shouldn't run off kids that put in the work and do the right thing just because they're not good enough. Leave that to sleazy programs. It is one of our few recruiting advantages that we will treat your kid right as long as he holds up his end. Of course, that doesn't mean we can't have frank discussions with kids about their prospects for future playing time and the possibility they could play more somewhere else.

I would tend to agree with this except that I would have to believe that a "key contributor" would have more production than 4 tackles in 2 games.

Did you watch the UCLA game bro? I don't think we had 4 tackles PERIOD. :D

The fact that these super programs are allowed to do this is what gives them the advantages they have. If they were forced to hold on to players that they recruited for the full 4 years if they were a "miss" then the SEC and your west coast USC's and such would not be nearly as dominant. Yes, they may have players beating down their door to play for them, but with that advantage they should be held accountable for the players they "choose". This and the oversigning issue is a bunch of crap. Colleges are supposed to be educational institutions. No wonder society is taking wrong turns.

Is there really a need to open spots up? At this point i am actually concerned that we may be unable the fill the open scholies we have with high quality recruits. We have what? 14 spots still open, at least. Just doesnt feel like there are too many kids beating our door down right now. These super programs do it to bring in five stars and big time recruits. Are we going to sell our integrity, drop a promise to a kid, for another project three star? Doesnt make any sense for us to do it.

Is there really a need to open spots up? At this point i am actually concerned that we may be unable the fill the open scholies we have with high quality recruits. We have what? 14 spots still open, at least. Just doesnt feel like there are too many kids beating our door down right now. These super programs do it to bring in five stars and big time recruits. Are we going to sell our integrity, drop a promise to a kid, for another project three star? Doesnt make any sense for us to do it.

These kids have seasons in progress! Be patient. Irons are in the fire! Plus, if we were filled up then what would we talk about for the next 5 months?