Defensive Scheme 2 Hard to Learn?

jwills2318

The D isn't to complicated but it seems that for Bo putting the players in the best position to succeed is. Also being to stubborn to make adjustments to the way a team is playing you is also to complicated for him. People have seen the field in their first or second season. Those that do not continue are for one reason or another in Bo's doghouse. This is a problem.

Defense=Run to the ball, gang tackle, run through your tackles, take the proper angle, play your gaps and knock the crap out of the opponent. No defense should be "too hard to learn." Whenever I go to a high school game and see coaches on the sidelines giving all kinds of hand signals to the players on the field, I simply wonder if it is more about the coaches trying to make an impression on the fans rather than turning the kids loose to play the game. Why should a defensive play book be complicated? No amount of scheme or technique on defense can trump physical desire to play the game. UCLA game is a prime example of a team that played hard, and because of that they won the game fair and square. You can have all the stars you want in your back pocket but when you line up on defense, don't try throwing them down in front of your opponent and expect them to just roll over and back off. You have to be able to freaking kick their rear ends.

I'm sorry Goal-line but there's a little more to defense at the college level than that. You can't just line up in a base D and tip all you blitzes pre snap, or run strictly man or zone coverages a decent QB would eat you alive. Everything you listed are all fundamentals that our guys should have by now but are lacking. Your right it doesn't need to be overly complicated but if you're not reading your keys and playing within the scheme you're not even going to be in position to make a play on the ball. Our guys have been in position but they either lack the fundamentals or aren't athletic enough to make the play.

And those coaches making the hand signals are setting up linemen, backers, and DBs, giving them their stunts, blitzes and coverages and coding it all in a manor that the other team can't easily figure it out. It's not for show.

Maybe it's not lack of talent. Maybe it's lack of strength. You have to be strong to hold up an O-linemen and read to the proper gap.

I wonder about that too. Why does it seem like our guys have a tough time getting past the opposing O line?

Can't get past someone if you're moving backwards. I thought Peat would be a beast in this scheme. Dude bench's like 500 lbs.