Offensive Tempo Change

Seems like they mixed it up more this week. Ran fast tempo part of the time, and took time to sub in/out the rest of the time. That seems to be effective in keeping the other D on their toes. I'm glad we have the ability to run fast tempo. We're gonna see it some in a month or so when we get into our Conf sched. Unfortunately two teams that do the fast tempo thing will be road games for us--Meechicken and tOSU. WHich makes it even tougher on our defense.

I noticed this during the game--our offensive tempo was slower than it has been the past two weeks. I think it works better, at least from a defensive standpoint, than the hurry up offense.

Should we continue using this tempo to spell our defense?

I think the offense ought to be very aware of when they need to drain the clock to give the D a few more breaths. It's something I'm always aware of when I'm "coaching". Two run plays that take up most of the play clock gives you, essentially over a minute of time. I think, really, getting a first down is 'a big deal', too, but, managing the clock appropriately for all aspects of the team is very important.

We just dont have the rotation to keep the offensive line fresh...The hurry might work against inferior teams...see Southern Miss..but last week our O-line was gassed in the 4th. Once we develop some decent depth on the line the hurry up will become effective.

If we catch the opposing team in a bad package for the kind of running we'd like to do, I'd just do no-huddle and run, just staying a the line a long time (not setting down, but just to more or less 'hold the defense' on the field). This is somewhat more common strategy in playoff these days, but, it more or less requires a certain offensive packaged being able to run multiple 'run plays', etc.

Could be two fold they were up tempo so slow it down to let the D have a break, or you just want to make sure you have what you want and get to see it before you get to conference play..

Could be, but I think at points during Southern Miss and UCLA our defense looked tired, and I thought that maybe it was part due to the offensive tempo and then not being able to convert.

I think like any offense the hurry-up as it's advantages and disadvantages. I say do whatever seems to be working best for that game.

I believe in this. The faster you go, the more likely someone is going to make a mistake. I think you need to regulate it. You want it to be fast enough to wear the defense down, but you don't want it to be so fast your players make mental mistakes.