Ameer A. turnover

ndobney

From where we sat in the stands you could see the ball was nowhere near him, but I think we were almost directly perpendicular to the ball/Ameer's foot. We were surprised as hell when the Ark State guys went after the ball.

Did anyone see from the TV angle - did the ref throw a beanbag, indicating fumble? From our vantage point it looked like a routine play, everyone was kinda standing around, then suddenly the Ark State guy jumps on the ball.

Someone up there mentioned horsecollar tackles, too. Again, we sit 85 rows up so maybe we were just seeing things, but from where we sat we felt like we saw at least two horsecollars, if not three. The crowd down in the lower atmosphere seemed to agree. There was lots of booing.

Horsesh!t call. Inexcusable. Speaking of horses...are they not calling the horsecollar thing this year? Bad weekend for refs everywhere from what I saw.

If you're talking about our game, I think they were good no calls. You have to immediately pull him down by the back or side of the collar, or inside of the pads. If the ball carrier is inside the tackle box the rule doesn't apply. Upper jersey doesn't count either it has to be at the collar or inside the pads.

Here's the NCAA's definition if you want it:

Horse Collar Tackle

ARTICLE 15. All players are prohibited from grabbing the inside back collar of

the shoulder pads or jersey, or the inside collar of the side of the shoulder pads

or jersey, and immediately pulling the ball carrier down. This does not apply

to a ball carrier, including a potential passer, who is inside the tackle box (Rule

2-34). Note that the tackle box disintegrates when the ball leaves it.

From where we sat in the stands you could see the ball was nowhere near him, but I think we were almost directly perpendicular to the ball/Ameer's foot. We were surprised as hell when the Ark State guys went after the ball.

Did anyone see from the TV angle - did the ref throw a beanbag, indicating fumble? From our vantage point it looked like a routine play, everyone was kinda standing around, then suddenly the Ark State guy jumps on the ball.

Someone up there mentioned horsecollar tackles, too. Again, we sit 85 rows up so maybe we were just seeing things, but from where we sat we felt like we saw at least two horsecollars, if not three. The crowd down in the lower atmosphere seemed to agree. There was lots of booing.

I don't know about you, but when I watched the game, the Ark St. guys never jumped on the ball. They waited until it stopped moving and then just touched it like normal.

As for the horsecollars. The first call was in the 1st quarter and it was a definite blown call. The second one was just a handful of jersey, but it definitely looked like a horsecollar if not slowed down.

After re watching it the first one on Martinez could have gone either way, in real time (espn's bad replay angle and my crappy monitor) it's hard to say where his hands were at when he took him down. Ideally though I think the call should have been made to err on the side of player safety.