If not Coz then who.

husker rob

I dont know if Coz is the right guy for the Big Red, but who would be a good replacement.

I know a lot of you will say Bo Pelini, but lets get real....they way pedy, and then Calli treated him, I dont think that he will ever be on the NU sidelines again. Maybe after they are gone.

I was thinking that Kevin Steele might be a good fit. I know he didnt do real well at Baylor as a HC, and FSU's defense isnt lighting things up either.

But he does have some Husker ties that alot of fans wold like.

Who do you think would be the best for NU?

I have said this before, and I will be happy to say it again.....

I absolutely believe that Coach Marvin Sanders would be the perfect Def. Coordinator for NU. Pud and BC made their biggest mistake by not retaining this guy !!!!! Holy sh#t, are you telling me that Elmo is better than Sanders......nice call BC :wtf

I know that under the circumstances, with Pud here, that Marvin will probably not come back..... unless BC went calling on Sanders heavily..... The D-Coord. would be a step up from his last tour of duty at NU, and I am sure that NU can match UNC on the pay scale for his services.

I think Coz has done an adequate job this season with an inexperienced secondary, a first year middle linebacker and a special teams role player playing strong side linebacker. I think Marvin Sanders was more of the reason for the good defense in 2003 rather than Pelini, but NC's defense is average at best since he became Co-DC, so I am not sure he would be a step up from Cosgrove at this point. Kevin Steele is a solid choice. I also wouldn't mind seeing Tony Samuels come back some day if things don't work out with Cosgrove.

You're right. I can have patience for the offense to start clicking, but the defense? Gimme a break. I just don't know what is wrong with the Blackshirts. Sure you can't put all the blame on Coz but you can put some on him. The Tech gameand the Mizzou game are definitely his fault. We were shutting Brad Smith down in the 2nd quarter, we had him figured out and then Cosgrove goes and changes the scheme to what it was before. I dont know who could replace him but I think he must go.

I think Coz has done an adequate job this season with an inexperienced secondary, a first year middle linebacker and a special teams role player playing strong side linebacker. I think Marvin Sanders was more of the reason for the good defense in 2003 rather than Pelini, but NC's defense is average at best since he became Co-DC, so I am not sure he would be a step up from Cosgrove at this point. Kevin Steele is a solid choice. I also wouldn't mind seeing Tony Samuels come back some day if things don't work out with Cosgrove.

I agree with you..... Coz has been adequate, but not stellar.

I was just suggesting Sanders to respond to the question, although I really do like Sanders a lot !!!!

Coz has not proven himself to be a great "game-planner" at all.... I will give him credit for some of his "in-game" adjustments, but sometimes it is too little to late.

Our defense is soooo bad at tackling.... Our LB-CB-DB all arm tackle, instead of flat out hitting-wrapping-driving-tackling...... Most of us can blame the coaches for poor technique and teaching fundamentals, and this very well could be the case.

IMO, the poor tackling may be related to the lack of speed at LB. Our LB can not get into good tackling position, forcing them to reach "at" the ball carrier.... And Bullocks wants to be a "hero" by stripping instead of being the big hitting safety

Yes Sanders is head and shoulders a better DB coach then Elmo, but he will not come back to NU for the same job. I dont think that Calli is going to cut ties with Coz just yet. I have a feeling that he might require Coz to make some changes. After last year didnt he take away some of Elmo's duties? What exactly is he coaching now. Corners or Safteys? and who is coaching the others?

Yes Sanders is head and shoulders a better DB coach then Elmo, but he will not come back to NU for the same job. I dont think that Calli is going to cut ties with Coz just yet. I have a feeling that he might require Coz to make some changes. After last year didnt he take away some of Elmo's duties? What exactly is he coaching now. Corners or Safteys? and who is coaching the others?

Elmo is the cornerbacks coach and Busch is coaching the safeties.

I think our corners have done a fine job of tackling this year. The tackling from the safety position has been absolutely horrendous. Bullocks because he's always trying to strip the damn ball, and Tietdke because, well, because he's tiedtke. We are really really thin at the safety position, and have some guys seeing significant time that on a good team would be relagated to the punt block team only. Let's face it, you have to be a pretty damn stupendous walk on to see playing time, and an unbelievable one to start, yet we have two starting, and numerous others who play alot of downs.

bad offense=bad defense until the O can be more consistant and control the TOP the defense will struggle, weaknesses will show alot worse when your trying to carry the team the majority of the time.

Let's face it, you have to be a pretty damn stupendous walk on to see playing time, and an unbelievable one to start, yet we have two starting, and numerous others who play alot of downs

havent walk on's almost always started or rotated in at a couple of positions, its always been one of the strengths for the program i thought, having talent that wanted to stay home and play.

havent walk on's almost always started or rotated in at a couple of positions, its always been one of the strengths for the program i thought, having talent that wanted to stay home and play.

Maybe on special teams (kickoffs and kick returns), but not with the volume of walk-on's we had in the past 10 years.

What I remember about Coz at Wis was he would have up and down years never seemed to put to many good defences together in a row. He is slow at changing up the defence during a game also.

By the way why did Barry Alverez let him go knowing he was going to retire and then hand the team over to his D/C for next year? Wis defence this year was horrible.

GBR!!!

Maybe on special teams (kickoffs and kick returns), but not with the volume of walk-on's we had in the past 10 years.

This isn't entirely accurate. If you look at the national championship teams from the 90's they always had a lot of quality walk-ons either starting or playing significant snaps in the 2-deep.

the Makovicka's, Scott Shanle (now in the NFL) and many others started their careers as walk-ons and earned their scholarships as they played.

This isn't entirely accurate. If you look at the national championship teams from the 90's they always had a lot of quality walk-ons either starting or playing significant snaps in the 2-deep.

the Makovicka's, Scott Shanle (now in the NFL) and many others started their careers as walk-ons and earned their scholarships as they played.

He is saying almost always. I am saying no way, not with the volume of walk-ons we have had in the past. Sure, we have had some great walk-on's but I don't think that most walk ons that came in ended up starting.

We need to find a list of walk ons and a collection of two deep rosters. Then we can know for sure ;)