Reasons for Hope

• NU held Wisconsin to 1.6 yards per carry
  • NU won despite being -2 in turnovers (-4 including the roughing the punter and the PI on 3rd & long)
  • NU did not fold despite starting like garbage
  • AA averaged 7 yards per carry
  • OC and DC both made adjustments at the half
  • Maher averaged 47 yards per punt
  • Maher hit two clutch field goals to end the game
  • NU D gets 3 sacks
  • Baker looking like all conference

i feel like this is more evidence that we should have beaten ucla. if always thought the team knew they were going to win this one, and they played like it. they just need to keep their composure and confidence, even when they get punched in the mouth. throughout the game, especially in the second half, they played like they were going to win. they realized they were making mistakes and that is why they were losing. fix the mistakes, then win the game.

i feel like this is more evidence that we should have beaten ucla. if always thought the team knew they were going to win this one, and they played like it. they just need to keep their composure and confidence, even when they get punched in the mouth. throughout the game, especially in the second half, they played like they were going to win. they realized they were making mistakes and that is why they were losing. fix the mistakes, then win the game.

I still think NU would have beaten UCLA if Beck hadn't gone away from the run in the 4th quarter. A fresh Heard and Cross would have been tough for UCLA to stop.

I still think NU would have beaten UCLA if Beck hadn't gone away from the run in the 4th quarter. A fresh Heard and Cross would have been tough for UCLA to stop.

agreed. it still hurts. but, i think this game taught the players to trust themselves. and i think it taught beck a little bit about playing from behind and not overreacting.

I know one reason for excitement:

One of the earliest 3rd down stops was when Ball ran into his own lineman's back due to an outstanding job by our DL of stonewalling them, but remember who made the tackle behind the line?

Sean Fisher did. I've bagged on this kid as bad as anyone on this board... But gosh dang it was I happy for him to make a clutch play like that!

Nebraska pretty much did it to themselves the first half, it wasn't so much as what Wisconsin could do to them. I think if they can wrap their heads around playing more consistently, they have a good shot at winning their division. They need a lot of improvement, but that will come as the season passes. Next week will be another good test, and if they can play that whole game like they played the 2nd half tonight, it will go a long way towards building the confidence that they can win the Big Ten. One thing I am impressed by is the penalties have dropped significantly from what we were getting last season, and that helps a bunch.

another reason for hope: i think this is the best t-mart has ran. i know he has had more yards, but i think he was more elusive tonight. yes, at k-state in 2010 he scorched them. but that was just speed and scheme. tonight, he actually had to make moves and he ran hard. i was impressed with his feet tonight and did not think he was capable of that.

Posted Today, 12:23 AM

another reason for hope: i think this is the best t-mart has ran. i know he has had more yards, but i think he was more elusive tonight. yes, at k-state in 2010 he scorched them. but that was just speed and scheme. tonight, he actually had to make moves and he ran hard. i was impressed with his feet tonight and did not think he was capable of that.

agree

I liked that he recognized the opportunities to run.

Another reason for hope:

We put together a great 2nd half. We put a team who was down and playing for their season (very well against us on the road) away late in the game.

A kind of, "we're in the B1G and you're going to face us every year"....if we lost this game, we are no better than NW or I as far as 'who to fear'

We still have tough games ahead, but at least we didn't give one away to an obviously down WI team; meaning the top teams in the B1G should expect to beat us. That's HUGE.

We are the newbie still and 2 yrs of losses to these guys would've put us waaaay behind the 8 ball. Especially since we had 20+ recruits here.