Why didn't we on challenge Quicy's catch?

MLB 51

dedhoarse

But in all seriousness, at that point in the game and the situation, I'm sure the coaches did not want to risk losing a timeout unless they were completely sure of an overturn. Chances are it wouldnt have been changed. The whole "possess the ball all the way through" crap did that play in.

So I get the dead horse on this one. He went up, made the catch, Took a step, and hit the ground. The ground cannot cause a fumble. Legit question. Although, not wanting to possibly waste a time out is a good point.

I thought it was a catch as well, for the same reasons as you. But the overall fact in my eyes is, beins the field ruling was incomplete, that there was not enough to overturn it. I say maybe a 3% chance it wouldve. And yes, I had to bust out the beaten horse, cuz this topic has been in several other threads. I can help it, I'm a smartass. Wait until I figger out this gif thing. chuckleshuffle

I thought it was a catch as well, for the same reasons as you. But the overall fact in my eyes is, beins the field ruling was incomplete, that there was not enough to overturn it. I say maybe a 3% chance it wouldve. And yes, I had to bust out the beaten horse, cuz this topic has been in several other threads. I can help it, I'm a smartass. Wait until I figger out this gif thing. chuckleshuffle

I wasn't sure if it had been talked about. Just thought I would see what others had to say. Carry on.

dedhoarse

But in all seriousness, at that point in the game and the situation, I'm sure the coaches did not want to risk losing a timeout unless they were completely sure of an overturn. Chances are it wouldnt have been changed. The whole "possess the ball all the way through" crap did that play in.

So I get the dead horse on this one. He went up, made the catch, Took a step, and hit the ground. The ground cannot cause a fumble. Legit question. Although, not wanting to possibly waste a time out is a good point.

True. The ground cannot cause a fumble. It caused an incompletion.

This rule has been in the college game for several years.

If a receiver goes to the ground while making a catch, the receiver must maintain control of the ball through the entire process. If the ball comes loose, it is an incomplete pass. This rule was put in place for just these types of circumstances and this same call is made many times every Saturday. There is no reason to review that play when it was clearly incomplete by rule.

The rule book gives several examples. This one is probable applies most to the Enunwa incomplete pass:

Completed Pass—ARTICLE 6

Approved Ruling 7-3-6

IX. Airborne receiver A85 grasps a forward pass and in the process of going

to the ground, first contacts the ground with his left foot as he falls to

the ground inbounds. Immediately upon A85 hitting the ground, the ball

comes loose and touches the ground. RULING: Incomplete pass. An

airborne receiver must maintain control of the ball while going to the

ground in the process of completing a catch.

You can download the rule book here.

If a receiver goes to the ground while making a catch, the receiver must maintain control of the ball through the entire process. If the ball comes loose, it is an incomplete pass. This rule was put in place for just these types of circumstances and this same call is made many times every Saturday. There is no reason to review that play when it was clearly incomplete by rule.

The rule book gives several examples. This one is probable applies most to the Enunwa incomplete pass:

Completed Pass—ARTICLE 6

Approved Ruling 7-3-6

Thank you, and welcome to the board. I was not aware of that rule. I thought it only applied in the end zone.

Much as we don't like it, it's pretty clear in an example from the NCAA Rule Book:

Airborne receiver A85 grasps a forward pass and in the process of going

You can argue that he was turning upfield but he didn't really get to run with the ball before hitting the ground. Per the rule book, he had to maintain control all the way to the ground, which he didn't.

I'm not a fan of the rule but that's how it is.

Completed Pass—ARTICLE 6

Approved Ruling 7-3-6

Beat me to it.

Good work.